Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Yooper quick question about if what I plan on making will be palatable. I am doing a variation of this recipe using 1 gallon of welsh's grape juice but I am using corn sugar instead of granualted sugar about 21/4 cups and that's about it I do not have any tannin or pectic , acid additions. How will that effect the overall flavor ?

Hey Yooper quick question about if what I plan on making will be palatable. I am doing a variation of this recipe using 1 gallon of welsh's grape juice but I am using corn sugar instead of granualted sugar about 21/4 cups and that's about it I do not have any tannin or pectic , acid additions. How will that effect the overall flavor ?

The sugar won't matter a bit. As far as leaving out the pectic enzyme, that should be ok it just might not clear as fast. I like tannin ( a tiny bit) as it gives a bit of "bite" to wine, but it's fine to leave it out.

Hey one other question what is the potential for grape juice in terms of sugar ? I'd like to create a profile on beersmith to calculate my gravity.

In Ontario we don't have the frozen 100% juice for some reason, just the kind that's full of preservatives. I did however find Welch's 100% white grape juice from concentrate in 1.36 liter jugs. Can I use those? And would I use 5 gallons worth of them if I was making a 5 gallon batch? They have potassium metabisulfite in them, is that okay?

hey Rubes, check my posts. I made a batch each of the two types of Welch's available to us up here. They aren't completely done yet, I don't think ...I just got back from a vacation, so once I get all caught up and back into the swing, I'll let you know how mine turned out...but, the consensus was pretty clear that these should work out just fine as well... :D good luck.

hey Rubes, check my posts. I made a batch each of the two types of Welch's available to us up here. They aren't completely done yet, I don't think ...I just got back from a vacation, so once I get all caught up and back into the swing, I'll let you know how mine turned out...but, the consensus was pretty clear that these should work out just fine as well... :D good luck.

Thanks, good to know. I'm going to give it a shot with the liquid kind, since it's on sale. We'll see what happens.

How long does this usually take from pitching to bottle ? Also what's a good length of conditioning time ? Thanks

I don't really know, because I never really timed it. I'd say four months, give or take, from making the must to bottling. And really no conditioning time to speak of.

Yooper said:
I don't really know, because I never really timed it. I'd say four months, give or take, from making the must to bottling. And really no conditioning time to speak of.

Wow that was a quick response !!! Did rack over those four months and use a campden or anything ?

2nd try doing this one, i rushed the first it was drinkable but this batch is better already, 1.5 tsp of acid blend it tasted just a bit tart before fermenting, 4 days later 1.091 to .0997 racked to a 1 gal carboy and a 12 oz bottle, tasted it and it has quite the bite, but not wrinkle your nose, with some age and a bit of sweetening i think it will be just right, on my first batch i used 1 tsp and was not able to pick up the acid blend at all. Still learning every thing but this is a great simple recipe to work with.

it is the only red or dark colored drink i have made and the first time i though it was clear and it wasn't even close so plenty of time will be set aside for clearing this time around.

Have to bump this thread as I just started a 6 gallon batch. 4 years ago this was my first recipe I attempted and so far it has been my best.

Currently I am enjoying the last 10 bottles of cranberry concentrate which I made with this same recipe but substituted grape juice for a generic cranberry canned concentrate. It's been aging for two years. Yes, two years. I went away to school and let all my wines sit in their secondaries for two full years. They are all amazing tasting and for $12 per 40 bottles of concentrate wine you simply cannot beat it.

Thanks yooper!

Just started 3 batches of this, they are still sitting for the 12 hours before adding yeast.
First brew, I followed the recipe, but added ~1/2 lb blueberries.
Second brew, I followed the recipe, but added ~1/2 lb blackberries.
Third brew, I followed the recipe.

I didn't have any yeast nutrient. I am going to use Lalvin EC-1118. Do I really need the nutrient?

So I just racked to secondary after two weeks in the primary. Tasted a bit, extremely carbonated and sweet. Fitted the airlock and no action at all for 10 hours. Do I need to add some more yeast or is 2 weeks enough time for all the alcohol to have been produced and I should let it sit?

The fiancé was kind enough to shatter my hydrometer so unit I can pick up another I'm sol.

Thoughts gentleman?

So I just racked to secondary after two weeks in the primary. Tasted a bit, extremely carbonated and sweet. Fitted the airlock and no action at all for 10 hours. Do I need to add some more yeast or is 2 weeks enough time for all the alcohol to have been produced and I should let it sit?

The fiancé was kind enough to shatter my hydrometer so unit I can pick up another I'm sol.

Thoughts gentleman?

I'm not a gentleman, but I can try to answer. If it's sweet, it probably isn't done. When you get a new hydrometer, you can check and see if it is.

Lol thanks for the clarification!

So if the SG is still > 1 what then? Pitch more yeast? There was a nice amount of solids on the bottom of the primary if that says a thing. Could I have choked the yeast by having too much sugar? Is there such a condition?

Heres the batch in secondary.

f65aa38c.jpg

If your OG was under 1.100 or so, no worries about too much sugar, assuming you used a wine yeast. If you used a champagne yeast, you could have easily went to 1.120 before worrying about having too much sugar.

You can wait and see what the SG is in a couple of weeks, and if it's too high we can try to bring it down but it won't be easy since it's really hard to get a fermentation going once alcohol is in the mix.

I used a champagne yeast to be safe. I simply multiplied your recipe to get 5 gallons out of it. With two spoons of acid added for a little tart. I'm amazed at how I can screw up such a simple process.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a biology and microbiology degree :/

Two weeks wasted. Tits. :(

I used a champagne yeast to be safe. I simply multiplied your recipe to get 5 gallons out of it. With two spoons of acid added for a little tart. I'm amazed at how I can screw up such a simple process.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a biology and microbiology degree :/

Two weeks wasted. Tits. :(

No, you didn't mess it up. Keep it around 70 degrees, keep water in the airlock, keep it covered or out of light, and don't think about it. It'll be ok. If you had an OG of under 1.130, and used champagne yeast, it will be fine. Check the SG when you get a hydrometer and we'll see from there.

Went over to my buddies house with a 2L bottle of the extra gallon from my 6g primary into 5g secondary difference and apparently I have a SG of 1.3 fml.

How is that even possible?

d172c0d7.jpg

Well now I just feel like an ass. Lol.

So it's normal that all fermentation has ceased in two weeks? Seems kinda short. Should I degas and age?

Thanks yooper!

Well now I just feel like an ass. Lol.

So it's normal that all fermentation has ceased in two weeks? Seems kinda short. Should I degas and age?

Thanks yooper!

It's common for fermentation to end in about 5-7 days actually, and be done at .990 or so. So for some reason it's actually slow and/or stopped. But hopefully it will get going on its own. You could try stirring in some yeast nutrient f you have some (dissolve in some water first, otherwise it will "volcano" on you!). I don't know why yours is going so slow but it might start up again and finish up.

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

I have tried the balloon wine thingie before and I want to step up...but with baby steps, meaning that I want to use the bare minimum and want to know why certain other ingredients are needed. I'm going to start a new batch this week (hopefully) and would like for wine vets to educate this cheeky newbie ;-)
To begin with, here is my proposed recipe for a semi-sweet white wine:
1. 3 cans of 100% frozen grape juice - Wellch's white grape
2. 1 cup of sugar
3. Balance water to make up 1 US gallon
4. 1 teaspoon (~3 g or half packet) Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast

My process is normally to boil the water, add sugar to it, add grape concentrate, dump the mix in milk jug, add yeast, shake, put a latex glove as lid. And then 3 weeks down the line, add 0.5 tablet of Campden, 1 day later add half pinch of bentonite, 2 days later siphon off to individual bottles. Begin downing it instantly :rockin:

The main problems I've had are:
1. Low alcohol content (used bread machine yeast earlier)
2. rubbery taste (this time airlock will come in)
3. the biggest peeve - wine turns dang sour (vinegar?) on some occassions even within 3 weeks (I swear I haven't opened the glove for more than 2-3 times each for no more than 5 seconds) . And yes, I do put a rubber band around the neck of the bottle. And no, I do not make holes in the glove, tried that once and it turned very definitely into vinegar in less than 3 weeks.

Here are my questions (first three questions specific to Yooper's recipe/method):
1. If I cover the mouth of the jug with just a napkin (paper napkin or cheesecloth?) for 5 days, won't this wine be well on its way to becoming vinegar?
2. Why wait 12 hours to add yeast?
3. Yoooper's recipe has the same 4 ingredients as mine. How come his recipe gets to desirable stage in 60 days, when mine can't even last that long without oxidising into vinegar?
4. Does my *faux* must (grape concentrate, water, sugar) contain enough nutrients for the yeast, or do I need to add some? If so, what and how much for the sweet white I am trying to make?
5. I used to use 8 g (full packet) of bread machine yeast. I see that that wine maker's yeast will be reduntant if used at that quantity. Is my 3 g good for a gallon? I surely want the 18% ABV that Lalvin promises, but don't want to end up having a pizza scented wine!!!:confused:
6. Lalvin's instruction (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/ICV-K1_Yeast.pdf) don't indicate adding sugar to activate. How does that fare with experience?
7. Any other ingredient or method to improve the ABV and smoothness?

Hmm...I think I have blurted out all I could think of for now. Looking forward to be enlightened now :fro:

You're a genius sir. All it needed was some additional warmth. I put the Carboy under a black sheet in the sun and left it for a few days and it's bubbling like crazy now.

Now the waiting game!

I have tried the balloon wine thingie before and I want to step up...but with baby steps, meaning that I want to use the bare minimum and want to know why certain other ingredients are needed. I'm going to start a new batch this week (hopefully) and would like for wine vets to educate this cheeky newbie ;-)
To begin with, here is my proposed recipe for a semi-sweet white wine:
1. 3 cans of 100% frozen grape juice - Wellch's white grape
2. 1 cup of sugar
3. Balance water to make up 1 US gallon
4. 1 teaspoon (~3 g or half packet) Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast

My process is normally to boil the water, add sugar to it, add grape concentrate, dump the mix in milk jug, add yeast, shake, put a latex glove as lid. And then 3 weeks down the line, add 0.5 tablet of Campden, 1 day later add half pinch of bentonite, 2 days later siphon off to individual bottles. Begin downing it instantly :rockin:

The main problems I've had are:
1. Low alcohol content (used bread machine yeast earlier)
2. rubbery taste (this time airlock will come in)
3. the biggest peeve - wine turns dang sour (vinegar?) on some occassions even within 3 weeks (I swear I haven't opened the glove for more than 2-3 times each for no more than 5 seconds) . And yes, I do put a rubber band around the neck of the bottle. And no, I do not make holes in the glove, tried that once and it turned very definitely into vinegar in less than 3 weeks.

Here are my questions (first three questions specific to Yooper's recipe/method):
1. If I cover the mouth of the jug with just a napkin (paper napkin or cheesecloth?) for 5 days, won't this wine be well on its way to becoming vinegar?
3. Yoooper's recipe has the same 4 ingredients as mine. How come his recipe gets to desirable stage in 60 days, when mine can't even last that long without oxidising into vinegar?
4. Does my *faux* must (grape concentrate, water, sugar) contain enough nutrients for the yeast, or do I need to add some? If so, what and how much for the sweet white I am trying to make?
5. I used to use 8 g (full packet) of bread machine yeast. I see that that wine maker's yeast will be reduntant if used at that quantity. Is my 3 g good for a gallon? I surely want the 18% ABV that Lalvin promises, but don't want to end up having a pizza scented wine!!!:confused:
6. Lalvin's instruction (http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/ICV-K1_Yeast.pdf) don't indicate adding sugar to activate. How does that fare with experience?

Hmm...I think I have blurted out all I could think of for now. Looking forward to be enlightened now :fro:

low alcohol content could also be because you're only planning 1 cup of sugar as opposed to 1.5# of sugar. I've skipped the napkin stage and just thrown on an airlock. (i also don't wait 12 hrs for yeast addition) follow yoopers recipe exactly, then after stabilizing add your third can to sweeten and enhance the flavor. hope that helps

low alcohol content could also be because you're only planning 1 cup of sugar as opposed to 1.5# of sugar. I've skipped the napkin stage and just thrown on an airlock. (i also don't wait 12 hrs for yeast addition) follow yoopers recipe exactly, then after stabilizing add your third can to sweeten and enhance the flavor. hope that helps

Thanks for reading through and replying :)
Some of the questions I have are not addressed by Yooper's posts. More thoughts on those my good fellas? :tank:

5. I used to use 8 g (full packet) of bread machine yeast. I see that that wine maker's yeast will be reduntant if used at that quantity. Is my 3 g good for a gallon? I surely want the 18% ABV that Lalvin promises, but don't want to end up having a pizza scented wine!!!

1. no the yeast is fermenting vigorously so oxygen isn't a problem. but you could avoid the napkin.
2. you don't have to wait to add the yeast, as long as the temperature of the mix has dropped down to around 70-80 degrees.
3. need more info. i've never turned mine to vinegar, i'd say airlock it and forget it for 60 days.
4. you don't need any additional nutrient. the "sweet" you're looking for comes from stabilizing and backsweetening
5. don't use bread yeast "this could attribute to your vinegar taste" use brewers yeast
6. just sprinkle the yeast on top of the wine must, it'll do it's thing
7. i've skipped the acid blend makes it too tart in my opinion. once it's done, stabilize and sweeten to taste. it's all ur preference.

5. I used to use 8 g (full packet) of bread machine yeast. I see that that wine maker's yeast will be reduntant if used at that quantity. Is my 3 g good for a gallon? I surely want the 18% ABV that Lalvin promises, but don't want to end up having a pizza scented wine!!!

1. no the yeast is fermenting vigorously so oxygen isn't a problem. but you could avoid the napkin.
2. you don't have to wait to add the yeast, as long as the temperature of the mix has dropped down to around 70-80 degrees.
3. need more info. i've never turned mine to vinegar, i'd say airlock it and forget it for 60 days.
4. you don't need any additional nutrient. the "sweet" you're looking for comes from stabilizing and backsweetening
5. don't use bread yeast "this could attribute to your vinegar taste" use brewers yeast
7. i've skipped the acid blend makes it too tart in my opinion. once it's done, stabilize and sweeten to taste. it's all ur preference.

You are making my day! And wine too :)

4. By stabilizing did you mean - racking, and by backsweetening - topping up in secondary with more grape juice?

Also I read somewhere that when siphoning the wine from the first container after 4 weeks, adding Campden tablets immediately after the transfer can kill off the few swarming yeast cells that make their way to the second container, thereby defeating the purpose of secondary fermentation. If that's true, should the tablets be added just before bottling?

I'm glad to know that you never had the 'sour (read - vinegar) surprise'. Hm...I'm wondering if my rare (once a week for the entire 1 month period of fermentation) opening of the container (ever trustworthy 1 gallon milk jug) to sniff at my concoction had something to do with the nasty oxidation...

Brewer's yeast is what I intend to use. Either - ICV K1V-1116 or EC-1118. There are 2 things I need to know about them:

5a. How much of the yeast should be added for 1 US gallon of my recipe (posted earlier in this forum)?

5b. With my intention to brew a sweet (almost dessert) wine, I was leaning towards ICV K1V-1116. But after reading LoneTreeFarms super suggestion for backsweetening (which I am assuming is adding the same kind of grape juice as used in the must at the time of topping up when transferring to secondary), I am thinking EC-1118 may just be the right choice - since it's more robust being a champagne base yeast, and the backsweetening will be a counter measure for the dryness from the EC-1118. That way I will have a higher than ICV K1V-1116 ABV (always the dealbreaker :drunk:) and a sweet wine!

Any thoughts?

trying to figure all this.... atleast 1/2 packet of yeast, though a whole is fine. stabilizing a wine is adding 1 campden tab per gallon as well as potassium sorbate (1/2 tsp/gal) this will stop the fermentation in it's tracks. then wait a few days and backsweeten to taste. then bottle. i wouldn't use a used milk jug. get a unused water jug at the very least. i can't remember the other questions but this should get you going.

I'm bottling three gallons of a "sorta Welch's" today.

Here's the recipe, made up of several leftovers!

1.75 gallons catawba grape juice (from 12 pounds of frozen grapes from a friend's vines)
2 campden tablets, crushed and dissolved
1 package of "used" merlot skins from a wine kit (had been frozen)
1 mesh bag of the grape skins from the catawba grapes themselves
2 cans Welch's 100% grape juice
1 can Welch's Blueberry/Pomegranite
2.5 pounds sugar
3 teaspoons pectic enzyme (12 hours after mixing this must)
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient
Montrachet yeast (12 hours after adding the pectic enzyme)

1 pound honey added at secondary, when grape skins removed.
1/2 teaspoon wine tannin at third racking as it was a bit tart and needed a "bite", and 1/3 cup honey added also at that time to smooth it out a bit.

OG 1.080 (without the honey addition! Honey would add about 15 points, for an OG of 1.095)
FG .994

This is a bit tart, but quite good. It's a rose' color. It's made up of things we found in our freezer, so I don't know if I can ever recreate it!

I have made a gal of Grape, a gal. of cranberry,a gal of Pomagrante,White grape mix,a gal. of cranberry,pomagrante,blueberry mix,with this reciepe,so far its great,now just the 1 year wait.

I'm bottling three gallons of a "sorta Welch's" today.

Here's the recipe, made up of several leftovers!

1.75 gallons catawba grape juice (from 12 pounds of frozen grapes from a friend's vines)
2 campden tablets, crushed and dissolved
1 package of "used" merlot skins from a wine kit (had been frozen)
1 mesh bag of the grape skins from the catawba grapes themselves
2 cans Welch's 100% grape juice
1 can Welch's Blueberry/Pomegranite
2.5 pounds sugar
3 teaspoons pectic enzyme (12 hours after mixing this must)
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient
Montrachet yeast (12 hours after adding the pectic enzyme)

1 pound honey added at secondary, when grape skins removed.
1/2 teaspoon wine tannin at third racking as it was a bit tart and needed a "bite", and 1/3 cup honey added also at that time to smooth it out a bit.

OG 1.080 (without the honey addition! Honey would add about 15 points, for an OG of 1.095)
FG .994

This is a bit tart, but quite good. It's a rose' color. It's made up of things we found in our freezer, so I don't know if I can ever recreate it!

Yooper ,i am going to try your reciepe,i have some skins also frozen,instead of grape skins i will use wild plum skins.everything else should be the same,lets hope it works with the wild plum skins.

Back