Purpose of Pigtail on a GFCI Breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxgame

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows if there's a specific reason why the neutral connection of a GFCI breaker is always coiled. I'd like to straighten the one I have out for cleaner routing, but I wanted to make sure that it won't affect its operation.

My guess is that it functions as a service loop... so if you install the breaker in an actual load center, then you can reach the neutral bus.

Its coiled to take up less room when a longer neutral lead is not needed. After breaker installation, you can straighten the neutral lead and cut it to length. I just leave them coiled since they are typically in a breaker box that I only rarely open. If you want to do it neater, straighten and shorten.

Thanks guys. I figured that was the case, but I wanted to check before I potentially ruined such an expensive breaker. I'm concerned about the neatness of it only because I'm going to put all my relays in my spa panel. Tucking that wire out of the way opens up a surprising amount of space.

Back