Attenuation Rates? How quick to reach FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyjp

Reaction score
I've got a IIPA that has been underway fermenting for 2 weeks. I pitched a 1800ml starter of WL001. It seems to have slowed to nearly a crawl at 1.020 and may have stopped all together.

How long should I give it before I consider pitching more yeast or something? More 001, or something else?

Thanks all for the help!

If it's an extract beer, it could possibly stop at 020. check your gravity for a couple days straight later this week (maybe Tuesday and Wednesday), and if the gravity is still 020, then it is finished.

Interesting, what about an extract would cause it to finish at 1.02? Seems I've had a few extracts all stall at this point.

Thanks Charles!

Depending on the brand and type of extract, there may be additional unfermentable sugars that result in a higher FG. I have only dabbled with a few batches in extract so i am not the best person to answer, i am more versed in All Grain.

Interesting, what about an extract would cause it to finish at 1.02? Seems I've had a few extracts all stall at this point.

when companies make extract, they are basically doing the mashing/sparging process for you. you really have no idea of the grains, quality of grains, or temperature(s) they are using. if they mashed at a lower temperature, then you will have more fermentables and can end up under 020 (sometimes well under). if they mashed at a higher temperature, then there will be more unfermentables (carbs too big for the yeast to eat) in the extract--just as mpavlik22 said. in extract brewing, we give that control to the extract maker.

another thing that could easily influence your fermentability is the use of specialty grains. depending on the process, specialty grains can add unfermentables, which would raise your fg. it just takes time and patience.

i have experienced this many times. most of my extract brews finish at 020. i have had better success with some extracts, but the general fg is usually in the 020 range.

with your iipa, what was your og? if you started in the 1.075 to 1.080 range, then your abv will be around 7.22% to 7.88%. that's not too high, but it is inching into the iipa range.

just keep sanitizing, growing/pitching enough yeast, treating the yeast right, controlling your ferment temps, and, of course, rdwhahb.

I use mainly Munton's plain DME's,with cooper's LME's & hops. I've never had one finish that high. I've gotten OG 1.050's down to FG 1.010 with no problems. I also use cooper's ale yeast. It's very robust & forgiving as well. So,enough of a high attenuating/flocculating yeast is important to get down to the right FG.

when companies make extract, they are basically doing the mashing/sparging process for you. you really have no idea of the grains, quality of grains, or temperature(s) they are using. if they mashed at a lower temperature, then you will have more fermentables and can end up under 020 (sometimes well under). if they mashed at a higher temperature, then there will be more unfermentables (carbs too big for the yeast to eat) in the extract--just as mpavlik22 said. in extract brewing, we give that control to the extract maker.

another thing that could easily influence your fermentability is the use of specialty grains. depending on the process, specialty grains can add unfermentables, which would raise your fg. it just takes time and patience.

i have experienced this many times. most of my extract brews finish at 020. i have had better success with some extracts, but the general fg is usually in the 020 range.

with your iipa, what was your og? if you started in the 1.075 to 1.080 range, then your abv will be around 7.22% to 7.88%. that's not too high, but it is inching into the iipa range.

just keep sanitizing, growing/pitching enough yeast, treating the yeast right, controlling your ferment temps, and, of course, rdwhahb.

Great explanation! I'm happy to report that my 15 gallon kettle and burner have arrived and my adventure into BIAB has begun!

My og was 1.090 if I recal so still plenty of alcohol for an IIPA, I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks again to everybody for all the help and knowledge on this site.

Back