Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KingBrian, I noticed you recommended against using Biscuit Malt. Any particular reason it doesn't work with this beer? Did it just overpower the pumpkin and spices?

KingBrian, I noticed you recommended against using Biscuit Malt. Any particular reason it doesn't work with this beer? Did it just overpower the pumpkin and spices?

I've never used it for this recipe. When I said I had experiemented with it a lot, it was with lots of other recipes. But I find it to have an overpowering flavor that in addition to being biscuity, is also a little "off" to me. Some people love it somehow. Me, I don't understand that at all. I can say for it that the overpowering weirdness it contributes does age out after a long time, but intil then, I think it pokes it's head up above all the flavors in a not at all complimentary way. I don't think it's parents gave it enough attention as a child and it's overcompensating or something.

Would mashing higher at about 155 or 156 sweeten this up a bit? OR maybe adding a little Caramel 40L?

Would mashing higher at about 155 or 156 sweeten this up a bit? OR maybe adding a little Caramel 40L?

Mashing higher would give it more body but not necessarily more sweetness. Using a less attenuative yeast would though. Adding some caramel 40 would too.

sorry if I missed it among all the pages here, but what did you carb this at? 2-2.5 volumes? I missed my mash temp low and am a bit concerned about it being too thin. Can carbonation level help this some?

FWIW, for all my issues on brew night and with the first yeast not taking off, my version seems to be coming along nicely (down to 1.013 6 days after the 2nd pitch of yeast; beautiful orange color; spicy and malty aroma and flavor)

sorry if I missed it among all the pages here, but what did you carb this at? 2-2.5 volumes? I missed my mash temp low and am a bit concerned about it being too thin. Can carbonation level help this some?

FWIW, for all my issues on brew night and with the first yeast not taking off, my version seems to be coming along nicely (down to 1.013 6 days after the 2nd pitch of yeast; beautiful orange color; spicy and malty aroma and flavor)

I kegged it then transferred some to bottles so I'm not sure of the exact carb level but it's probably right around 2 volumes. That would be a good level to shoot for.
:mug:

Mashing higher would give it more body but not necessarily more sweetness. Using a less attenuative yeast would though. Adding some caramel 40 would too.

KingBrianI, can you suggest a yeast strain or how much C40L you'd add to sweeten this up? I'd be trying to make it drinkable even for non-beer drinkers and the females :) Maybe a pound of C40L + different yeast?

KingBrianI, can you suggest a yeast strain or how much C40L you'd add to sweeten this up? I'd be trying to make it drinkable even for non-beer drinkers and the females :) Maybe a pound of C40L + different yeast?

If you're going for sweet, just up the caramalt to 1.5 lbs and use WY1968 or WLP002 yeast. That will do the trick.

KingBrianI,
What temp did you ferment at with Denny's yeast? Didn't see it unless I missed it. Wyeast website says 60-70 so I was going to do 65.

KingBrianI,
What temp did you ferment at with Denny's yeast? Didn't see it unless I missed it. Wyeast website says 60-70 so I was going to do 65.

65 is perfect. I can't remember what my ferm temp was without going back to my notes but I'm sure it was right around 64-65.

I brewed this today and am really looking forward to having it ready for Thanksgiving. I did forget about the molasses though... Pity, because I really like the flavor. Just waiting for it to finish cooling to pitching temp.

I brewed this today and am really looking forward to having it ready for Thanksgiving. I did forget about the molasses though... Pity, because I really like the flavor. Just waiting for it to finish cooling to pitching temp.

It wouldn't be a problem to add the molasses straight to the primary. It has such a high sugar content no baddies can grow in it, but if you're afraid of spores or something being in it (if the jar has been previously opened) then you can do a quick boil in a small amount of water and throw that in the primary.

Mine has been moved to a secondary and tasted awesome during the transfer. My brew-partner and I are throwing around the idea of adding a touch of hazelnut extract to the secondary to give a hint of nuttiness, similar to the Pumpking. Still, I'm really glad I brewed this bas boy up. I'll gives notes after kegging/bottling.

did you find that the pumpkin absorbed more (or less?) water than the grain? I'm putting my process together and trying to figure out how much water I am going to need and thought my standard 0.5 qt/lb absorption rate might need adjusting.

Would there be a difference if you just put the pumpkin into the boil? Is it really necessary to mash it?

Okay- It has been over a month since I bottled this. I've downed a couple of these and my SWMBO has down a few more. We both love it. I mentioned the idea of backing down on the spices just a tiny, tiny bit if I were to brew this again, but the others who have sampled this beer said they wouldn't. The color is amazing and it has a great almost creamy, smooth body. I'm thinking the spices may mellow out a bit more with some more time, so then I think it will be just where I want it. I'm predicting this first batch will be gone by the end of October... sooooo I just may brew a new batch this weekend so I can bring it to some Thanksgiving dinners.

BTW, in an earlier post I said my FG was really low. I've discovered since then that my method for measuring FG (using my refractometer and conversion programs) has been giving me numbers a couple points lower than my hydrometer measures. Just an interesting note.

Back on topic- thanks again for the awesome recipe! KingBrian, you have supplied two of my favorite recipes I've tried- this one and the Common Room ESB. I'm a believer... and I'm taking a long hard look at that amber ale...

That's great news! I'm glad everyone likes the pumpkin ale and I'm glad you like the ESB too! You won't be disappointed with that amber either if you decide to try it! :)

Would there be a difference if you just put the pumpkin into the boil? Is it really necessary to mash it?

There will probably be a difference in flavor though I've never tried boiling the pumpkin. If boiled, you will get a ton of trub though, I hear. Mashing pumpkin really isn't as scary as some make it out to be. Just be sure to use some rice hulls.

There will probably be a difference in flavor though I've never tried boiling the pumpkin. If boiled, you will get a ton of trub though, I hear. Mashing pumpkin really isn't as scary as some make it out to be. Just be sure to use some rice hulls.
+1 to not being afraid of the pumpkin in the mash. I did this recipe on Monday and while sparging was slightly slower than normal it was not a problem in any way with 1 lb of rice hulls.

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin ales. I did this one for my wife but I have to say it smelled amazing. I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks, KingBrianI. :mug:

So, I just moved this into the keg tonight, but added a few things. I've thrown back a few bottles of Pumking and needed to incorporate a few elements that make me love that beer.

While the original samples of the Samhain tasted amazing, I stumbled onto something amazing by adding 1 oz of vanilla extract and 2 1/2 oz of hazelnut syrup. It will be sweeter than the original was intended, but I figured that with a beer that tasted this good to start with, it could only make it better.

I may have my first official brew for competition here. Thanks again, King Brian.

So, I just moved this into the keg tonight, but added a few things. I've thrown back a few bottles of Pumking and needed to incorporate a few elements that make me love that beer.

While the original samples of the Samhain tasted amazing, I stumbled onto something amazing by adding 1 oz of vanilla extract and 2 1/2 oz of hazelnut syrup. It will be sweeter than the original was intended, but I figured that with a beer that tasted this good to start with, it could only make it better.

I may have my first official brew for competition here. Thanks again, King Brian.

I did a version of this this past weekend, but backed out 1# home toasted malt for .5# Vctory and thought long and hard about adding some vanilla. I started researching pumpkin pie recipes and about 5-15% of the respected ones I found have a vanilla extract addition. very cool for the addition. what was your perception on what the hazelnut syrup added?

I did a version of this this past weekend, but backed out 1# home toasted malt for .5# Vctory and thought long and hard about adding some vanilla. I started researching pumpkin pie recipes and about 5-15% of the respected ones I found have a vanilla extract addition. very cool for the addition. what was your perception on what the hazelnut syrup added?

With the hazelnut I was trying to get some of the perceived "sweet nuttiness" that I find in the Pumking. I make a killer Hazelnut Brown and am familiar with using hazelnut syrup, but used less than half in this Pumpkin that I do in my brown ale.

It, along with the vanilla, gave me that slight sweet and nuttiness I was looking for and gave the finish a nice smoothness. Granted, this is all pre-carbing, but I was seriously impressed with how it started and can't wait to taste it when it's ready.

With the hazelnut I was trying to get some of the perceived "sweet nuttiness" that I find in the Pumking. I make a killer Hazelnut Brown and am familiar with using hazelnut syrup, but used less than half in this Pumpkin that I do in my brown ale.

When do you add the syrup and is it something you just get at the grocery store. There's been a few beers I've been wanting to add a slight nutty taste too.

planned on making this tomorrow but just realized i forgot to add british caramalt to my order. any substitutes for this?

When do you add the syrup and is it something you just get at the grocery store. There's been a few beers I've been wanting to add a slight nutty taste too.

I personally just use Hazelnut flavored coffee syrup. Caribou Coffee brand I believe, but any brand will be fine. Note that I have never used hazelnut EXTRACT, just the syrup which comes out perfect.

I alway add it to either the bottling bucket or the actual keg as I'm transferring the beer after the secondary. I usually add a half ounce at a time, then stir/shake and taste. I keep adding until I'm cool with the flavor. This is what I did with the Pumpkin but I also added a touch of vanilla.

A couple / few questions:

1.) The toasted malt. Is this it? http://morebeer.com/view_product/17119/102155/British_Maris_Otter_Pale_Malt

2.) What is the procedure of toasting? I buy pre milled grains. I guess I'd have to buy non milled the use a rolling pin?

3.) Are Cascade hops a good substitute?

4.) The British Caramalt. I'm using this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17140/102156/Carastan®_Malt
Is that OK? I can't find it in Beersmith. So i just added it w/ its SRM.

Thanks. The recipe looks great!

Is that Blackstrap Molasses? I am assuming no otherwise you would have typed it, but I had to ask.

Also thanks for making this public! I haven't made it yet but I can see from the replies it must be killer. Someday I hope I can post something to pay this recipie exchange back.

A couple / few questions:

1.) The toasted malt. Is this it? http://morebeer.com/view_product/17119/102155/British_Maris_Otter_Pale_Malt

2.) What is the procedure of toasting? I buy pre milled grains. I guess I'd have to buy non milled the use a rolling pin?

3.) Are Cascade hops a good substitute?

4.) The British Caramalt. I'm using this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17140/102156/Carastan®_Malt
Is that OK? I can't find it in Beersmith. So i just added it w/ its SRM.

Thanks. The recipe looks great!

1. Yep, that's the stuff. Although any pale ale malt would work.

2. You'll have to toast the whole grain then crush it with a rolling pin right before mashing.

3. Since it's only a bittering addition cascade would work, but really I'd be more comfortable with a "cleaner" hop being used just in case any flavor makes it through.

4. The carastan will work fine.

Is that Blackstrap Molasses? I am assuming no otherwise you would have typed it, but I had to ask.

Also thanks for making this public! I haven't made it yet but I can see from the replies it must be killer. Someday I hope I can post something to pay this recipie exchange back.

I used regular molasses though blackstrap would work too.

1. Yep, that's the stuff. Although any pale ale malt would work.

2. You'll have to toast the whole grain then crush it with a rolling pin right before mashing.

Thanks for the reply. I think i read in the thread about letting the toasted grain "rest" or "age" or something like that for 2 weeks. and also wetting the grain before toasting. Could you explain, please.
Thanks sooooo much for the help.

Thanks for the reply. I think i read in the thread about letting the toasted grain "rest" or "age" or something like that for 2 weeks. and also wetting the grain before toasting. Could you explain, please.
Thanks sooooo much for the help.

It is said that when you toast malt, it can have "harsh" flavors unless it is allowed to rest for a couple weeks. That allows that harsh flavors to dissipate and you're left with only the yummy toasty malt flavors. So after toasting the malt, toss it in a paper bag and let it sit for 2 weeks prior to use. Having said that though, I have heard of people using the toasted malt immediately after toasting and not noticing any harsh flavors. So if you are in a hurry, the rest period may not be necessary.

I never wet the grain for this recipe before toasting, I just toast it dry. Wetting the malt before toasting is a valid technique though, and it produces slightly different flavors when done that way. It's not necessary for this recipe, but it may be something you want to play around with. Check out the following link for more info. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-4.html

Brewed today. But I'm betting it's not going to be the same beer.

Same grain bill, used Cara Munich for the caramalt.
Didn't have molasses in the fridge like I thought.

Ended up with 4 gallons @1.040 I'm thinking it was my mill setting, I haven't checked it the year and a half I've had it.

Pitching Denny's 50 tomorrow am, we'll see how it is in 3 weeks.

B

Pretty much followed your recipe but made a few minor substitutions:
-1/2 lb wheat
-1lb Carapils
-Split vanilla bean in secondary
-Safale S04

Mashed a bit lower: 153/154

Didn't have time to rest the roasted malt so just used it the following day. No harshness detected on my end.

I really wanted to showcase the nice color on this beer through the head so I used Capapils. Once on the gas for a week the head a nice tan/orange hue. Going to be a hit during the football game tomorrow, I am sure!

A very tasty beverage....great recipe. Thanks for posting this.

Back