problem with boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i am an extract brewer ( about 15 batches) and am taking steps toward an AG setup. i have an IC and a MLT built. my only problem is boiling 6+ gallons of liquid on my stovetop. i live on the 3rd floor of an aptarment building so the turkey fryer is out of the question. is there an alternative such as a partial boil? i cannot do a split boil because my stove has only one large burner. i havent come across anything else here that could work for me. does someone have my answer?!

Heatsticks. It's an electric water heating element that plugs into your wall outlet. Dip them in your water/wort to heat/boil it.
You can make them yourself for pretty cheap. The heating element costs about $10 plus some other drain pipes and fittings.
http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm
They use a ton of power and will require their own circuit, so don't use your microwave at the same time.
If you're handy and willing to build this, check out the circuit breakers in your apt. If they are 20 amp then you could use a 2000 watt stick. If they are 15 amp then you will have to settle for a 1500 watt element.

Back