Tripel with hot fusel alcohol flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicePelos

Reaction score
I have a Belgian tripel in the primary that has hit it's FG that has a pretty strong fusel flavor. It's only been in the primary for 2 weeks, but I'm a little concerned. I'm thinking of postponing the secondary for a couple weeks and seeing if the yeast cake clears up some of the off flavor. Does this sound like a good plan?

OG 1.079/FG 1.018
3 liter starter of Wyeast 3787 High Gravity Trappist Ale yeast.
The max. temperature the batch saw was around 78F which is the top end of the yeast's range. Thanks!

Isn't 78* a little high? o_O

nah. pushing it, but i love that yeast. I do typically add my candi sugar (boiled) after the first few days of vigorous fermentation. OH...and I hijacked...primary that guy some more. :)

Produces intense esters and phenolic characteristics with complex fruitiness. Does not produce significant amount of iso-amyl acetate (banana esters) or bubble gum esters typical of many yeast of this style. Phenol and ester production are influenced by fermentation temperatures. Phenols tend to dissipate as beer matures. This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples, to ferment to dryness. True top cropping yeast with broad temperature range.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

+1 on "give it time". Whether or not you leave it on the yeast cake, there will be plenty enough yeast in suspension to complete a secondary fermentation and eat the nasties that the yeast left behind in round 1.

Time. More time. I would go another 2 weeks in primary, then bump to secondary for a month, then bottle and wait another 2-3months

Back