F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrizzell

Reaction score
I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing **** should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now! :mug:

They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. :) I don't miss windows one bit!

They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. :) I don't miss windows one bit!

+1!!!

I have a Mac and a PC, it seems like that is all I do now is download updates.

Whenever I do updates I am always asked if I want to restart now or later. I have never had my computer automatically reboot after an update. I have mine set to notify me of updates but not do the automatic download.

It may be to late now but wasn't the e-mail saved as draft?

Someone should send Microsoft a copy of "Humane Interface". An excellently written book with a focus on useless redundancy.

< Submit Reply > < Click! >

"Are you sure you want to reply?"

"Seriously"

"If you REALLY want to reply, click < CANCEL > If you want to continue click, < Yes >"

Next thing you know, Windows will be asking us if we want to reboot in Spanish or English.

this is why i go against Microsoft's recommendations and have the update thinger shut off, plus I've customized Windows Vista to be somewhat efficient and enjoyable.

if everything would run off Linux i'd switch... a few of my co-workers have Mac and I don't recall ever hearing them complain.

I feel your pain, image spending all morning drafting a floor plan for a huge project and then loosing it to a reboot or other Microsoft related issue :(

. . .Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you
It did ask you. When you didn't answer (weren't there) it did the installation and reboot. That is the default setting because most people would never do the update and then complain that there computer wasn't working correct.

To change the setting go to the Control Panel, click on Automatic Updates and pick the setting that works best for you.

Windows has its problems, but this isn't one of them.

For me the best setting is to download the update, but let me decide when to install it.

I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing **** should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now! :mug:

Come on now don't hold back, tell us how you really feel :D

Oh, come ON, people. Does anyone know how to use Google? ANYONE? :p I found this a LONG time ago...

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Enter “gpedit.msc”
3. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
4. Double-click on “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
5. Enable it!
6. Reboot the computer

Also, it will continue to pop those little "you should restart your computer to complete the update installation, motherf*cker" balloons in your face every couple minutes until you restart manually, so I also recommend, in that same "windows update" component manager, click on "re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations", and then set the time in between restart reminders (mine's set to 360 minutes).

That's probably one of the reasons why they tell you to close all other programs...so you won't lose anything...

That's the problem. They don't tell you. The updates are downloaded and installed automatically and then a window will pop up and tell you that the computer will reboot in 5:00. If you're not there to tell it not to, it will just go ahead and reboot, open programs or not. It appears there are certain updates that will force a reboot and if you're not around - tough, it's rebooting without you.

That's the problem. They don't tell you. The updates are downloaded and installed automatically and then a window will pop up and tell you that the computer will reboot in 5:00. If you're not there to tell it not to, it will just go ahead and reboot, open programs or not. It appears there are certain updates that will force a reboot and if you're not around - tough, it's rebooting without you.

Your troubles are over, see my previous post for the solution. In the future, I'm tellin' ya, Google has the answer. Type in your problem, it spits out 8 million websites with solutions.

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=my+dick+is+falling+off"]See?![/ame]

Oh, come ON, people. Does anyone know how to use Google? ANYONE? :p I found this a LONG time ago...

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Enter “gpedit.msc”
3. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
4. Double-click on “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
5. Enable it!
6. Reboot the computer

Also, it will continue to pop those little "you should restart your computer to complete the update installation, motherf*cker" balloons in your face every couple minutes until you restart manually, so I also recommend, in that same "windows update" component manager, click on "re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations", and then set the time in between restart reminders (mine's set to 360 minutes).

Right! Me too :mug:

Like I said above, I changed the policy setting, but the problem is, it appears that Microsoft has put these settings back to default because mine is rebooting again. I've already set it back to not reboot, but it doesn't change the fact that is pisses me off. Don't reboot, and don't change the don't reboot setting back to reboot, motherf*ckers! ;)

Your troubles are over, see my previous post for the solution. In the future, I'm tellin' ya, Google has the answer. Type in your problem, it spits out 8 million websites with solutions.

See?!

Right, and like I said above:

Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

I can Google with the best of them, but when those dirty fu<kers at Microsoft reset the settings you change, it's still going to reboot.

For now, I've set it to download the updates, but not automatically install them.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your dick! :)

Hm, I don't know why it would have changed that setting back for you. Odd.

Yeah, it's okay, I used google, and taped it back on.

A bunch of big companies(mine too) recently decided NOT to deploy Vista enterprise wide because is sucks so much a$$. So we are using a five year old OS in 2008.

I just got an iPhone and I'm shocked at how much better Apple's software/interface is than MSFT's. I haven't had a new Apple in years so have forgotten.

Not to turn this into an Apple vs. Microsoft thread, but yeah they do seem to have their **** together a bit more. I have a 12" Powerbook G4 at home and I love it.

I just got an iPhone and I'm shocked at how much better Apple's software/interface is than MSFT's. I haven't had a new Apple in years so have forgotten.

BTW, how do you like your iPhone? The managers in my department currently have Motorola Q's and while it's great, it's not perfect. You can't read HTML formatted emails so that's a bit of a pain and web browsing is pretty painful.

We're looking to switch to 3G iPhone's in December when our contract is up. One thing I need to look into though is whether you can tether the iPhone to a laptop (USB or Bluetooth) and use it as a modem. I currently do that with my Q when I've traveling and it's awesome. No wireless at the hotel, no problem, tether the Q. Sh!tty $6.99 wireless at the airport, no problem, tether the Q.

Windows can be configured to do all the same things that you mention here.

That's the problem. They don't tell you. The updates are downloaded and installed automatically and then a window will pop up and tell you that the computer will reboot in 5:00.

If you ever get that while your sitting at the pc.

Start -> Run
Type shutdown -a

That should stop the shutdown and then you can reboot when ever you're ready.

BTW, how do you like your iPhone? The managers in my department currently have Motorola Q's and while it's great, it's not perfect. You can't read HTML formatted emails so that's a bit of a pain and web browsing is pretty painful.

We're looking to switch to 3G iPhone's in December when our contract is up. One thing I need to look into though is whether you can tether the iPhone to a laptop (USB or Bluetooth) and use it as a modem. I currently do that with my Q when I've traveling and it's awesome. No wireless at the hotel, no problem, tether the Q. Sh!tty $6.99 wireless at the airport, no problem, tether the Q.

I farking LOVE my iPhone, more than I thought I would, actually. I don't know that it would be great for biz, though. The email client is not as robust as your Q's in terms of raw productivity, you can't open office docs, and you definitely can't type like on a blackberry. Internet is wicked, though.

I'm not sure about use as a modem-mine is just for personal stuff. My wife travels a bunch and is very satisfied with the blackberry curve for biz applications.

I had to buy a XP system for testing. Even though I've turned off the automatic updates, it still tries to install them every time I shutdown! I just watch for the warning & hit the power switch. I expect this will trash the system after a while, but I can ghost it back to the initial load.

Imagine a Bill Clinton voice as I say "I feel your pain", but not really. Come to the darkside and use linux, The only windbloat systems I have to deal with is at work.

... Microsoft...

There's your problem.

Solution:

http://www.linux.org

Open source software is the wave of the future!! If you already use GIMP, imagine how easy your life would be if all software was free.

Plus most versions of linux (ubuntu, red hat, KDE..) are FULLY and EASILY customizable down to every last detail.

Viva la open source!

Dunno never happened to me going back to my Win 95 days to now. Always has asked me/waited for me by default. Guess im lucky

I don't think Linux is so great. Everytime I install it there is always some piece of hardware that is not working. Last time it was wireless.

I don't mind paying for good software. I think it is supported better and upated faster.

Back