reusing turbo yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebeer

Reaction score
i hear turbo yeast can't be repitched mainly b/c it uses all its nutrients in one go, but i thought it would be worth trying. i just bottled a bunch of wine and i have a lot of turbo yeast sediment at the bottom of the keg. I'm a novice with brewing, but how can i check if this yeast is still alive? should i just try to make a small batch with the yeast that's in there? i know i need a multivitamin to get the yeast going again. what kind of multivitamin is best? which vitamins should i look for?

Ok..This is noting more than a SWAG, But I'd say your best bet....IF YOU MUST, would be to add Yeast Nutrient and a lot of yeast energiser. Give it a small batch try and see what happens.
There will surely be SOME viable yeast left, and fermentation will occur. I have NO idea what kind of flavors you'd get, but give it a shot and let us know.

Well, you can check out homedistiller.org

You may find a nutrient recipe over there you could mix up. Or get a copy of the Amphora Society book 'The Compleat Distiller'. It has formulations for making your own 'turbo yeast'.

I personnally don't think it's worth the trouble, but you never know.

Back