American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just bought the ingredients, I e got London ale and English ale yeast both white labs, I know neither is preferable but it is what I have. What would you recommend? I like my beers more dry than sweet.

I just took a hydro sample and dry hopped, smells and tastes amazing, threw in an oz of centennial pellets. 1.009 tg
I was thinking about thieving another pint but i did that with my last batch and ended up way short of 2 cases LOL

I searched the thread and didn't see any mention of using Pacman yeast???

Yooper, I think your a fan of Pacman, you use it in your 60min clone I think...

I jus got a small culture going from some dead guy and was thinking of making your recipe with some Pacman

I jus got a small culture going from some dead guy and was thinking of making your recipe with some Pacman

That might overattenuate, and I think my yeast of choice now might be Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) because it gives a fuller, richer mouthfeel.

A drier finish might be great, but I like a more "full" mouthfeel in this beer lately.

Followed the recipe except for I used Nottingham yeast. On day 2 I woke up to my blow off tube laying on the ground and krausen everywhere. Hydro sample tastes great. Can't wait to put this one on tap.

bottling this right now and the aroma is just plain awesome. Im going to have to get another batch going this weekend.

I have had two and it is nowhere near ready to drink, but this tastes just like Milwaukee Brewing Company's Pull Chain Ale. I just had a couple the other night and had to make sure that I didnt grab one from the fridge by mistake. And here is your Pull Chain Ale clone recipe lol.

I too am a fan of Pacman yeast. I'm sipping on a spin off of this clone. The hops were changed but the grain bill was the same. Needless to say, I brewed it with pacman yeast and I'm loving it. My hop schedule was drastically changed though to use up the hops I had. Can't get enough of it! I don't see this keg sitting around too long! :tank:

I too am a fan of Pacman yeast. I'm sipping on a spin off of this clone. The hops were changed but the grain bill was the same. Needless to say, I brewed it with pacman yeast and I'm loving it. My hop schedule was drastically changed though to use up the hops I had. Can't get enough of it! I don't see this keg sitting around too long! :tank:

Well maybe I'll give it a shot here this spring. Made the BYO Sierra Nevada clone last weekend.

I have followed the recipe thus far, except I added a bit of torrified wheat to the mash. I am now ready to dryhop. Any suggestions for what to use? I don't think I have cascade in the freezer (I could get it easily), but I do have:

simcoe
citra
centennial
chinook
amarillo

I kind of think that these all will overpower the cascade that is already in there, but maybe not. Anyone have any advice as to what they think would blend well but not overpower the cascade? I haven't added any cascade since flameout.

I have to brew another batch of this stuff, it is already gone(except for the hidden 12er) it is that good where you cant keep any around.

I just opened my first bottle of this brew, 2 weeks after bottling, and it might be the best pale ale I've ever tasted! I used ff and a little citra instead of cascade. Thanks Yooper.

I really, really want to brew this. I love Malt forward APA's, and I have some Denny's favourite 50 just about ready to be washed from my Falconer's Flight IPA! :)

That might overattenuate, and I think my yeast of choice now might be Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) because it gives a fuller, richer mouthfeel.

A drier finish might be great, but I like a more "full" mouthfeel in this beer lately.

Hi Yooper,

This recipe sounds great, and I'm just moving up to all-grain from large (7 lb or so) PM's. This looks like a great easy (and proven) recipe to try for a new-all-grainer. Just a question on crystal malts - I usually try to limit the crystal malts 1/2 lb max, as my brews tend to end up too sweet for my tastes when I go to a pound or more (just a personal taste thing). I do, however, love the "full" body and mouthfeel. Do you think cutting the crystal's in half, and adding a 1/4 to 1/2 lbs of malto dextrin would completely throw this recipe off flavor wise? I guess my goal would be to keep the body/mouthfeel, but reduce residual sweetness - and am curious to know if you've ever tried a varition like this one? Thanks for any advice! :mug:

Hi Yooper,

This recipe sounds great, and I'm just moving up to all-grain from large (7 lb or so) PM's. This looks like a great easy (and proven) recipe to try for a new-all-grainer. Just a question on crystal malts - I usually try to limit the crystal malts 1/2 lb max, as my brews tend to end up too sweet for my tastes when I go to a pound or more (just a personal taste thing). I do, however, love the "full" body and mouthfeel. Do you think cutting the crystal's in half, and adding a 1/4 to 1/2 lbs of malto dextrin would completely throw this recipe off flavor wise? I guess my goal would be to keep the body/mouthfeel, but reduce residual sweetness - and am curious to know if you've ever tried a varition like this one? Thanks for any advice! :mug:

No need for malto dextrine when you go all grain. You can control that variable with mash temp.

Drop the crystal if you don't want the sweetness, but mash higher if you want to have a bit more body to the beer, which will leave a little more sweetness, but not enough to make a huge difference.

No need for malto dextrine when you go all grain. You can control that variable with mash temp.

Drop the crystal if you don't want the sweetness, but mash higher if you want to have a bit more body to the beer, which will leave a little more sweetness, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Thanks for the suggestions! Guess I need to let some of the PM and extract old habbits go! :drunk: I do like some of the flavor/complexity from crystal malt (in moderation), so I'll take your advice and try cutting down on the crystal, and just mash a little high to keep some good body in there (which I guess pretty much adds dextrins the "natural" way). First AG and full boil here I come! :tank:

Brew this recipe yesterday and thought it went pretty well.

I use BeerSmith to calculate amount of water and temp.

Started off mashing in with 3.5 gallons of water at 166. Added grains and mashed at 153. Not upset about the 1 degree. It stayed at 153 the whole hour which I was happy about.

Did a mash out with 2 gallons of water at 197. It only got to 165 which again I wasn't upset about.

My total preboil volume was supposed to be 7.8 gallons but I only got a little over 7.6 gallons. My preboil gravity was right on the dot at 1.041.

My ending volume was about 5.5 gallons. I threw away a quarter gallon to end up with 5.25 gallons. My OG was 1.053. A little off. I think if I boiled it for another 10 minutes or so it would have brought it up a few points.

I think I need to recalculate my boil off. I think it is a little high in BeerSmith. A few minor errors but overall it went well.

Started off mashing in with 3.5 gallons of water at 166. Added grains and mashed at 153. Not upset about the 1 degree. It stayed at 153 the whole hour which I was happy about.

Did a mash out with 2 gallons of water at 197. It only got to 165 which again I wasn't upset about.

My total preboil volume was supposed to be 7.8 gallons but I only got a little over 7.6 gallons. My preboil gravity was right on the dot at 1.041.

My ending volume was about 5.5 gallons. I threw away a quarter gallon to end up with 5.25 gallons. My OG was 1.053. A little off. I think if I boiled it for another 10 minutes or so it would have brought it up a few points.

I think I need to recalculate my boil off. I think it is a little high in BeerSmith. A few minor errors but overall it went well.

Yeah, the 1/4 gallon tossed your gravity off. Use your numbers and adjust for you boil off. Also look at fermenter loss. See what that is set at and see what you've left behind in the pot. I normally lose .6 gallons for break material and some hop debris through my hop spider. I make sure to add it all so I can start with the right volumes.

Eventually, you'll get it down solid. Now I can wing it and still get close.

Yeah, the 1/4 gallon tossed your gravity off. Use your numbers and adjust for you boil off. Also look at fermenter loss. See what that is set at and see what you've left behind in the pot. I normally lose .6 gallons for break material and some hop debris through my hop spider. I make sure to add it all so I can start with the right volumes.

Eventually, you'll get it down solid. Now I can wing it and still get close.

I use a hop bag so the only trub left I have is the break material which I usually toss right in my primary. It was set to .25 gallons though.

I just went in and set it to zero then sit my batch size to 5.5 gallons which is what I ended up with and my OG on BeerSmith is 1.055 so I would have been only two points off.

I do need to re-calibrate my system.

Omg, why did u throw away perfectly good wort? Blowoff tube!

Hey guys and gals, I'm wanting to brew this as a partial mash with the 2 row replaced with 3# dme but I can only boil 3-3.5 gallons due to my set up, and was wondering how to adjust the hops to compensate. Any suggestion on a revised hop schedule would be great. Thanks!

Man I cracked open my first bottle of the second batch of this stuff. It doesn't fail to impress. The only thing i changed was a 1.5 oz dry hop with centennial, extremely drinkable, wish I put a few more in the freezer.
Jakturner, I brewed a partial mash of this last time, I will dig up my notes and let you know what i used for hops.

This was my first all grain batch. Changed up a few of the hops - bittered with Columbus, and did the .75 hit with Centenniel, but otherwise kept it the same. Smells gorgeous, and the wort tasted delicious. Yooper, you're brilliant!

She's actively fermenting away as I write this, and has been happily doing so for a good 30 hours.

I followed the yeast rehydration and fermentation guide from Fermentis. They nailed it, I've never seen such a happy yeast. Will update when it's done.

(First post ever)

I got this sitting in my secondary right now. I'm away atm but will keg this when I get home. Can't wait to drink this as its for a birthday party in April :)

I've brewed this and it's coming up to 2 weeks in the bottle. I tried one and it's really good. Thanks, Yooper! A question though - if I use magnum as my bittering hop (60 min), but keeping everything else the same, will it change the taste of the brew? I'm a bit of a noobie. :)

Brewing this now. Yooper, thanks for the recipe! Somewhat new to all-grain, so I was very stoked to have nailed the pre-boil gravity. Things are going smooth, can't wait.

I use magnum often in this! It's a nice clean neutral bittering hop, plus it was really cheap at hopsdirect.com! (I think $8 a pound?)

LOL...you see my point! Would the 30 min. addition also be magnum, or does that need to be Cascade? I would think that at 30 min. some hop flavor comes through. TIA

Brewing this now. Yooper, thanks for the recipe! Somewhat new to all-grain, so I was very stoked to have nailed the pre-boil gravity. Things are going smooth, can't wait.

I'm quite new too. My only word of advice, let it condition in the bottle properly. I opened one at day 4 ( I was impatient. It tasted horrible), but at day 12 it was beautiful.

I remember reading a post from Yooper that at week 6 it is wonderful. :rockin:

I need to become much more patient with my brews.

I just brewed 10 gallons of this yesterday with pellet hops. I used 10% less pellet to try and accomplish similar results. Cant wait! All that Cascade smelled awesome.

I just brewed 10 gallons of this yesterday with pellet hops. I used 10% less pellet to try and accomplish similar results. Cant wait! All that Cascade smelled awesome.

This is up for my next brew, I think.

I'll have a cake of Denny's favorite 50 (Wyeast 1450) from a current beer, and I think it'll be great for this beer.

I have a ton of both purchased and homegrown cascades, and an all-cascade beer sounds great for spring.

Back