Cascades in Key West

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Lakes Hops is a great place to start. I just got three plants from them and all three were very healthy and happy. After four days in the ground on already seeing growth.

Ddubduder said:
Great Lakes Hops is a great place to start. I just got three plants from them and all three were very healthy and happy. After four days in the ground on already seeing growth.

Definitely use Great Lakes Hops. I've yet to hear of an unhappy customer.

Well heck. If you can do it in Key West, then Miami Beach should be no different! I like the idea of trying out a combination of Chinook and Cascades in my ale recipe.

mannye said:
Well heck. If you can do it in Key West, then Miami Beach should be no different! I like the idea of trying out a combination of Chinook and Cascades in my ale recipe.

The guy I got my Cascade crown from lived in Miami. So you shouldn't have a problem pulling it off.

I just planted the Columbus crown I ordered as well as the free Hallertau crown she threw in. I'll post some pictures later.

BlakeL said:
I just planted the Columbus crown I ordered as well as the free Hallertau crown she threw in. I'll post some pictures later.

So now we have Hallerau and Columbus in Orlando, Cascade in Key West and Centennial, Willamette, Galena, Magnum and Fuggles growing around Tampa. Between all of us we should be able to figure out what grows in Florida. I'm sure I've missed some, we should try and compile a list of who is growing what to documents our experiences with different types.

So now we have Hallerau and Columbus in Orlando, Cascade in Key West and Centennial, Willamette, Galena, Magnum and Fuggles growing around Tampa. Between all of us we should be able to figure out what grows in Florida. I'm sure I've missed some, we should try and compile a list of who is growing what to documents our experiences with different types.

I like where this is going!

+2

I have Chinook coming from Great Lakes this week, and a buddy of mine in our LHBC has already had three seasons of Cascades under his belt. I'm going to risk a late frost up here in Jax and plant them as soon as they arrive.

aiptasia said:
+2

I have Chinook coming from Great Lakes this week, and a buddy of mine in our LHBC has already had three seasons of Cascades under his belt. I'm going to risk a late frost up here in Jax and plant them as soon as they arrive.

You'll probably be fine, but at the same time you don't necessarily have to risk it. This past season I didn't get planted until the start of March. The seasons long enough and they grow fast enough you don't have to worry about rushing it into the ground. Keep us posted.

I put mind in these, http://www.lowes.com/pd_192858-36572-HDR-506695_0__?productId=3605706 for that specific reason. This way I have them in something large enough for them to grow, but I could still bring them in if need be.

not to tell you what to do by any means...I had planted my first year crowns in twenty gallon pots. One each pot. When I planted them just a few weeks, I inverted the bucket to find that the roots of the magnum plant that grew like crazy, were at the bottom of the pot and deflecting. It didn't seem like it harmed or stunted the plant. Just an observation.:mug:

BrokenArmBrewing said:
not to tell you what to do by any means...I had planted my first year crowns in twenty gallon pots. One each pot. When I planted them just a few weeks, I inverted the bucket to find that the roots of the magnum plant that grew like crazy, were at the bottom of the pot and deflecting. It didn't seem like it harmed or stunted the plant. Just an observation.:mug:

I realized that would happen after I had planted them. I think horizontally they will be fine but vertically I'm a little worried. I read on one of the forums to drill large holes at the bottom to help give the roots somewhere to go versus clogging all the smaller holes and creating a drainage problem. The planters had a solid bottom when I bought them so I drilled probably 20 holes about a 1/4 in in diameter, I now wish I did the same with a 1in bit. Can't change it now. I have seen a few pictures from people up north who have buried this size planter to put their hops in and they have grown fine. I have a feeling that the plants will survive confined, but would prefer to spread out, but I dot have any hard facts to proved that, just a guess right now.

We've yet to see a dip below 32 up here this year. I may start them in 10" pots and then transfer them into the ground around the first of March just to be safe. That way, if there is a frosty night or two, I can carry them into the garage.

I realized that would happen after I had planted them. I think horizontally they will be fine but vertically I'm a little worried. I read on one of the forums to drill large holes at the bottom to help give the roots somewhere to go versus clogging all the smaller holes and creating a drainage problem. The planters had a solid bottom when I bought them so I drilled probably 20 holes about a 1/4 in in diameter, I now wish I did the same with a 1in bit. Can't change it now. I have seen a few pictures from people up north who have buried this size planter to put their hops in and they have grown fine. I have a feeling that the plants will survive confined, but would prefer to spread out, but I dot have any hard facts to proved that, just a guess right now.

The roots will probably grow out the holes in the bottom, I didn't have enough drainage in mine the roots blocked up all of the holes and when Debbie rolled through she drowned them starting fresh again this year.

I planted the Columbus on Sunday and it's already sprouting tiny leaves. I think I covered up the Hallertau a little too much so I think i'll pull it up a bit so I can see the top of the crown where the little sprouts had started.

BlakeL said:
I planted the Columbus on Sunday and it's already sprouting tiny leaves. I think I covered up the Hallertau a little too much so I think i'll pull it up a bit so I can see the top of the crown where the little sprouts had started.

They'll find their way to the surface. I thought I planted mine too deep and it turned out just fine.

KeyWestBrewing said:
I don't mind lol. If you didn't know though there is a thread for growing hops in south FL that's a few years old.

I did see the south FL thread, I also the north FL thread, the barely used what's good to grow in FL thread and one started by me earlier can I buy locally in FL thread. The problem is we are such a huge state that it's easy to see Key West and think, it doesn't pertain to us so we all start several different threads but growing in sun and sand is the same no matter where in FL we are. There might be a 8-10 degree swing in temp from Key West to Jville but it's still a tropicalish climate. I'm just hoping to centralize the discussion so we don't have to look at several threads, at least that's what my thought was.

Ddubduder said:
I did see the south FL thread, I also the north FL thread, the barely used what's good to grow in FL thread and one started by me earlier can I buy locally in FL thread. The problem is we are such a huge state that it's easy to see Key West and think, it doesn't pertain to us so we all start several different threads but growing in sun and sand is the same no matter where in FL we are. There might be a 8-10 degree swing in temp from Key West to Jville but it's still a tropicalish climate. I'm just hoping to centralize the discussion so we don't have to look at several threads, at least that's what my thought was.

Solid thinking

Now with the thread started I just need to convince the wife to let me get a couple turtles so I can produce nuclear turtle water so my experiment isn't a failure, lol.

Ddubduder said:
Now with the thread started I just need to convince the wife to let me get a couple turtles so I can produce nuclear turtle water so my experiment isn't a failure, lol.

Lol just don't sell it for the turtle water. Convince her she needs pets that are low cost and low maintenance, that they make the house look nicer(the tank adds a nice feel to the house)), they live for a really long time(no dealing with a pet that's gonna die in 10years), and especially if you have kids. My daughter loves Michelangelo, yes I named him after a ninja turtle lol, and likes playing with him. Then you'll look super responsible when you change the water once a week. Little will she know your giving your hops steroids lol.

I'll post it here too. Please excuse the instagram filter my wife added.

533671_584511809514_1554366474_n.jpg

KeyWestBrewing said:
Nice!!!!! Start clipping back the small ones, the ones you want to keep will come out faster and much bigger.

I'll have to do the same mine are coming in very similar. How many did you end up keeping when yours were coming in?

4.... And I made sure they made the others I clipped looked puny as hell before I kept them. You'll definitely know the ones you wanna keep when you see em. They'll break ground and be a few inches tall pretty much overnight.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Solid thinking

I agree! BUT.

There should be a difference between the southern tip and the rest is the state. At the moment I am walking down my street trying to work off beer calories and I'm sweating. Not because I am out of shape but because its hot.

It hasn't snowed here since 1976. In less than 5 weeks we will be back in the hothouse with crazy high temps and humidity that does not let up even at night. There's nothing like walking out my front door at midnight into a sauna.

My hops are growing like weeds. What is a good, cheap way to make something for them to climb on. The trellises at Home Depot are too big to fit inside the pot and are expensive.

I got a couple tomato cages for mine, they are only 54 inches so I'll still need to add twine at some point but it will work for now. You could also make your own trellis, I found this on YouTube.
[ame]http://youtu.be/zwWvO7loI5g[/ame]

Definitely recommend making some sort of improvised trellis. What I've been wanting to do is make one from two boards hinged together so I can lower the upper half come harvest time. Just attach another piece of wood hinged to the lower half that works to keep the two locked in place when upright but doubles as a sort of kickstand when the upper half is lowered down. Not sure if my words explain it well enough but I've gone over the plans with a friend and it should work great.

All of mine have stalled out at about 3 feet tall. I had some powdery mildew, some bugs, the spires broke off. They are just starting to come back. I have drip irrigation for them now and some neem oil spray. I'm gonna get these things to grow dammit.

Brewmech said:
All of mine have stalled out at about 3 feet tall. I had some powdery mildew, some bugs, the spires broke off. They are just starting to come back. I have drip irrigation for them now and some neem oil spray. I'm gonna get these things to grow dammit.

I use Organocide and it has been great. Also make sure they gets lots of nitrogen.

Brewmech said:

The same thing happened to me. I trimmed mine back to the ground around the end of April and I'm already seeing some promising growth again. Slower than I would like to see but growth.

Had one, magnum take off like crazy, and stalled at 3 feet. Leave a bit eaten, some just turning brown. So I cut her back to ground. Little buds starting again. Fuggles is about a foot 3 aggressive bines

Back