Wyeast for Mead and Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I make beer and am starting to move into cider and mead. Generally speaking, Wyeast seems to be the best yeast for beer. From my research, it seems as if Wyeast isn't so hot for ciders and meads. Has anyone used Wyeast for ciders and meads and, if so, how is it?

For mead, use Lalvin Labs strains. More people get better results, more often with Lalvin than liquid yeast for mead.

I've used the Wyeast Eau de Vie for a mead, due to my high ABV desire. Otherwise, I would have used a packet of Lalvin yeast. :D

I have used the wyeast cider yeast on over 50 different brews. Never had one fail to start. Now their mead yeast. Sucked for me. But I've only used it once burn me once. Not again. Here is how I do it. Smack the pack and let it sit in my proofing box. A small acrylic box I made it houses a small light bulb and holds it at 85'. Let it proof for three hrs. Then add that into a starter of two cups water & One cup orange juice. Let it take in that. The add one cup cider. Once it's foaming away I introduce that into the cider. Hope that helps

If you enjoy using liquid yeasts, then fine, but given the differences in apple juices, beer worts and wines, when compared to honey musts, I'd suggest that you make a starter.

There is a considerably larger cell count in a pack of dry yeast than there is in liquid yeast packs, so liquid yeasts can be affected by various issues much more easily.

Oh and apart from that, dry yeasts are cheaper, by a good measure.....

For beer, you have lots more choices than when it comes to mead. I prefer liquid yeast for my beers (Wyeast mostly) but I really like Lalvin yeast for my meads. Besides the cost difference ($7 for Wyeast, about $1-1.50 for Lalvin) and cell count difference (already mentioned), [IMO] Lalvin yeast is more designed for mead (and wine). I've also had great results with Lalvin strains in things other than beer. I tend to stick with what works really well. Besides, looking at threads on the Got Mead forums, you see a ton more people using Lalvin Labs (and other dry yeasts) than you do using liquid yeasts. Generally speaking, it's more newbee's using 'Mead' yeasts. :eek: :D

The preference between Wyeast, White Labs, Lalvin, Safale, Fermentis, etc, etc. is just that - preference! They all make great brewing yeast, and all have their place, especially with the liquid brands (Wyeast, White Labs) when it comes to that one strain you may want that is proprietary (for me, these are often Wyeast's 3711 French Saison, and White Labs 775 English Cider, as well as the Wyeast Dry Mead strain).

Dry yeast is definitely more convenient, for me at least...its often far easier to rehydrate a packet or two than making a starter, with my schedule! When I'm using a neutral strain for a beer, I'm far more likely now to use US-05 than WLP001 or 1056.

Yes, you absolutely should make a starter with liquid yeast! But while dry yeast does have a higher cell count per retail unit, you may still definitely need more than one packet of dry yeast to get the proper pitch rate for many meads. Use a pitch rate calculator!

Edit: to answer the question in the OP, I really like the Wyeast Dry Mead strain as a neutral, steady, high ABV tolerant fermenter, and have made a majority of my meads with it. I also use 71B a fair bit, so I also use Lalvin. I have used White Labs Sweet mead strain successfully as well, but have not really tried the much maligned Wyeast Sweet Mead strain. I am a huge fan of WLP 775 for any apple ferments (cider, cyser, etc...)

would a cyser using D47 fermented cool work to keep some sweetness and apple flavor? I worry about 71b and the malic issues. Thanks.

would a cyser using D47 fermented cool work to keep some sweetness and apple flavor? I worry about 71b and the malic issues. Thanks.

Yes, cool fermentation (like at 55-60 F) will help preserve sweetness and flavor. Great idea. Also, when specific gravity hits 1.015-1.020, you might want to add gelatin to knock out 95% of the yeast and slow things down even more. Works very well for me for ciders, meads, and cyser (yes I made a cyser last year, yum).

Also, when specific gravity hits 1.015-1.020, you might want to add gelatin to knock out 95% of the yeast and slow things down even more.

dmtaylor, could you explain this part for me? What kind of gelatin and what does it do? Does it somehow encapsulate the yeast and precipitate it out? I've haven't heard of this technique before.

Lots of people use gelatin. It sticks to yeast like glue and pulls them down and out of suspension, clarifying the mead and also slowing down fermentation substantially. It doesn't catch everything but almost. Use the unflavored kind (I use Knox brand I believe):

The process to add gelatin:

Heat about 1/2 cup water in a glass in your microwave to boiling for a couple of minutes. Then add 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin and stir to dissolve. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then add to your fermenter. A day or two later, your mead will be clear as crystal and you can rack it to a new clean fermenter, thus removing almost all the yeast.

I made a cyser with 71B that turned out excellent. I also have a 71B cider that's been aging for 10 months and it too is delicious. It's a wonderful yeast for anything apple.

Back