80s Horror/Sci Fi Movies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Over the last couple of days, I watched two movies from the 80s I haven't actually seen since the 80s. The movies were LifeForce about the space vampires and Return of the Living Dead.

Two things really jumped out at me. First was the cheesy music. What in the world were they thinking with those synthesizers!?

The other thing that jumped out at me was the constant, in-your-face female nudity. In both movies there was good full frontal female nudity for a large percentage of the movie. No wonder I loved them as a young teen!

EDIT: Wow, I found the link. Both screenplays were written by Dan O'Bannon. What a coincidence to watch two of his movies in two days. I guess he likes the ass and tittas!

I've noticed the nudity thing in 80's movies. It seemed like every cheesy pg-13 comedy or sci-fi flic had a few gratuitous titty shots. Today's directors need to re-watch some of those classics:D

I just watched Lifeforce via OnDemand (freebie) a couple weeks ago. It was one of those down Sundays with nothing to do but watch a bad flick. SWMBO decides to sit down with me and partake as well just before the hottie wakes up and starts walking around. Bad movie but that Mathilda May babe had a smoking body! Even the wifey said "that's a perfect body". Even more appreciated were the natural dirty pillows.

I've been into zombie movies lately, for some reason. Working my way thru the Romero series. NOTLD was groundbreaking, but not really scary. Dawn was much better in terms of screenplay and effects, but the zombies still just weren't scary. 28 days later zombies are SCARY, but not these ones (well, the guy who ends up turning into a zombie, he was scary). I loved 28 days later, though...and I hear that the 2004 remake of Dawn with Ving Rhames is actually better than the original---not as much social commentary, but better production, etc. Next up is Day of the Dead. I also hear that Romero is working on "Diary of the Dead", due for release this year. It's supposedly a first-person viewpoint, not unlike Blair witch, that takes place during one of the previous Romero flicks. I can't wait...Land of the Dead rocked, so we'll see.

But, yeah, back to the point here: the effects in the old flicks look so pedestrian and amateur now...we're so spoiled! When the zombies bite flesh in Dawn, it's like they're biting into silly putty or something.

Thats one of the things we have really lost since the 80s. Lots of gratuitous nudity.... ahhh the old days....

Evan! said:
I've been into zombie movies lately, for some reason. Working my way thru the Romero series. NOTLD was groundbreaking, but not really scary. Dawn was much better in terms of screenplay and effects, but the zombies still just weren't scary. 28 days later zombies are SCARY, but not these ones (well, the guy who ends up turning into a zombie, he was scary). I loved 28 days later, though...and I hear that the 2004 remake of Dawn with Ving Rhames is actually better than the original---not as much social commentary, but better production, etc. Next up is Day of the Dead. I also hear that Romero is working on "Diary of the Dead", due for release this year. It's supposedly a first-person viewpoint, not unlike Blair witch, that takes place during one of the previous Romero flicks. I can't wait...Land of the Dead rocked, so we'll see.

But, yeah, back to the point here: the effects in the old flicks look so pedestrian and amateur now...we're so spoiled! When the zombies bite flesh in Dawn, it's like they're biting into silly putty or something.

the last project i heard romero was working on is called fido. it's supposed to be post day of the dead, where the humans train the zombies like dogs to do day to day mundane tasks. i met tom savini last month, and asked him about it, and he confirmed that was what was happening. sounds funny!

Training zombies for menial tasks? That's lame! This is much better!

060719.jpg

http://www.hockeyzombie.com/comics/060719.jpg

Nothing will ever beat the movie CHUD. Amazing number of people who became stars. And yet so horribly made.

I particularly like it because of one scene that me and my friends describe as the "quarter moment". For some reason one of the characters is trying to make a call and the other person doesn't want him to make the call on a payphone so he freaking eats the quarter. The person making the call looks and literally has nothing to say. So a quarter moment is a moment in which something so bizarre happens you are left speachless because there is no truly appropriate reply.

Back