attempting to "lure" in a non-believer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
My good buddy who I've been friends with for about twenty years now has helped me make more than a few batches. He comes over to help with the rest of my brew crew. We eat, drink, brew.. you know the drill.

In the entire time I've known him he drinks moosehead. Only moosehead, never anything but moosehead and nothing but moosehead.... Did I say he will only drink moosehead? :) I'm trying to get my poor brethren to try other things. he hates our home brew and won't drink it. Now my other buddies and I are hop heads and mostly brew IPA's, so I understand that is an acquired taste. Crazy thing is - he loves to come over to help brew, and drink his moosehead...

So, while ordering a pliney kit from AHS the other day I noticed they had a moosehead clone kit and I ordered it. Called him up yesterday and said hey btw you owe me $30. he said for what? told him I ordered him a moosehead clone and I could just hear the excitement in his voice. " Really?! will it taste like moosehead?!" probably better I told him

fish on... about to set the hook :D

I wouldn't even try. My dad hates my beer and calls it "****" but will drink Genessee Cream Ale by the case. I made a cream ale once that he loved, but he liked Genny just as much. It's not worth it.

I wouldn't even try. My dad hates my beer and calls it "****" but will drink Genessee Cream Ale by the case. I made a cream ale once that he loved, but he liked Genny just as much. It's not worth it.

well we'll brew it and see what happens, some people are just too set in their ways - I know

I did the same by doing a raspberry beer for a friend, a McMinnimens clone of their ruby.

It worked, the guy thinks it is the best beer he has ever had and brews it once a month. I am trying to get him to brew something else. But now he is just trying to find out exactly how much he needs to make and how many bottles he needs to have n order to exclusively drink that one style.

Do you brew with your dad?

I would think the time spent brewing together would tip the scale and make it "worthwhile".

I did the same by doing a raspberry beer for a friend, a McMinnimens clone of their ruby.

It worked, the guy thinks it is the best beer he has ever had and brews it once a month. I am trying to get him to brew something else. But now he is just trying to find out exactly how much he needs to make and how many bottles he needs to have n order to exclusively drink that one style.

there is hope for my friend yet :mug:

there is hope for my friend yet :mug:

Yup, but don't be surprised if all he will drink later is moose head clone.

Some people just stick to one thing, it maybe replaced by another thing, but it is always one thing. Which I don't get. Even if I have leftovers of some amazing food, I will likely wait two or three days to eat the leftovers, just so I don't have the same thing on back to back nights. I stick to my belief that their weirdness is the wrong weirdness and my weirdness is the right weirdness :mug:

Yup, but don't be surprised if all he will drink later is moose head clone.

Some people just stick to one thing, it maybe replaced by another thing, but it is always one thing.

yeah, that is so him. took me a year to convince him to stop paying $6.49 for a pack of marlboros and start rolling his own.

I have a friend that was the same way, only drank Yuengling lager. His excuse while my brother and I tasted new beers was, "I know what it tastes like". I got him to start drinking Sam Adams variety packs and that got him into new stuff. Now he is my biggest brewing partner and is ALWAYS ready to try new things.
tom

What gets me is the people who tend to stick to one beer drink the plainest crap. It's like eating only top ramen without even using the flavor pack and claiming it the best pasta around.

i lived in rochester for almost 4 years, "where it is brewed" you should show him how polluted the river is... and then explain what is in it... haha, Eastman Kodak polluted the crap out of that river! but i bought one not to long ago, i could not put it down, i dumped 1/2 the can.

that stuff is just bad.

thought i would throw my 2 cents on that one.. lol

i lived in rochester for almost 4 years, "where it is brewed" you should show him how polluted the river is... and then explain what is in it... haha, Eastman Kodak polluted the crap out of that river! but i bought one not to long ago, i could not put it down, i dumped 1/2 the can.

that stuff is just bad.

thought i would throw my 2 cents on that one.. lol

funny, I fish in that polluted river, right by the kodak plant and it IS gross. best salmon fishing on this side of the country though

a friend of mine will only drink natty light or bud light. He always says that he hates dark beer. I brewed up an Irish stout and he loves it for some reason. I tried to explain that the color of a beer does not always determine the flavor.

Hold on. You have a friend who helps you brew then doesn't drink your homebrew and you want to change that? How about I trade you a guy or two who try their best to do the opposite?

Sounds like he has a good time hanging out with his buddies, even if it's brewing a beer he doesn't like. That's great that you decided to make a moosehead clone. If you're lucky, it won't taste the same (but will be better), and he'll realize that he can drink other beer. If not, oh well, you tried and I'm sure he appreciates the gesture.

Hold on. You have a friend who helps you brew then doesn't drink your homebrew and you want to change that? How about I trade you a guy or two who try their best to do the opposite?

Funny. I was thinking the exact same thing. My friends come over, drink my beer and "hang out" while I brew. All I get out of the deal is a few empty kegs. Where do I get a brew friend like yours?

:D

Why does every homebrewer feel the need to convert BMC'ers?

Do you also do this to those who drink any other beverage that is not inline with your preferences?

I would bottle half of it in green or clear bottles and light-skunk it. Every Moosehead I've ever had was seriously skunked. Lots of people like that skunkiness and think beer doesn't taste/smell right without it.

Let him try the non-skunked vs the skunked and see what he says.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Why does every homebrewer feel the need to convert BMC'ers?

Do you also do this to those who drink any other beverage that is not inline with your preferences?

No I think a lot of homebrewers just feel injured when people say the perfer beer flavored zima to good beer

nope, that's not the case at all. he's a good friend, he enjoys brewing. he just doesn't like the taste of our homebrew because its not moosehead. I'm just trying to get him to brew something he will enjoy and is familiar with. and maybe he will start to enjoy other beers.
cheers

I would bottle half of it in green or clear bottles and light-skunk it. Every Moosehead I've ever had was seriously skunked. Lots of people like that skunkiness and think beer doesn't taste/smell right without it.

Let him try the non-skunked vs the skunked and see what he says.

I've actually thought about doing that :D

Latest posts

Back