Calculating Water Volumes with Rice Hulls in the Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When calculating water volumes for a Mash that has Rice Hulls in it, should I go with the Grain weight without the Rice Hulls, or with the Rice Hulls? I have 10.50 pounds of Rice hulls in this one, so it would be quite a difference.

I just can not see adding water for the Rice Hulls as they are not fermentable any who. But, ,I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again. What do you think?

I have this thread over in the General Discussion Room also, and I apologize for that. I fealt it was more appropriate in this room, also, this is kind of a last minute question as I have the HLT warming up as I type. :)

I would either add a little bit of water (maybe .5 gallon) or presoak them. That way they wont absorb so much water and mess up your numbers.

Thanks guys!!! Nope, you read right, 10.50 pounds. The recipe is out of the OCT08 BYOB for Roggenbier. It states to add the same volume of Rice Hulls as I have Rye. So, I am using 10.50 lbs Rye, hence, 10.50 lbs Rice Hulls. Think I should cut it back to 5 pounds?

Thanks guys!!! Nope, you read right, 10.50 pounds. The recipe is out of the OCT08 BYOB for Roggenbier. It states to add the same volume of Rice Hulls as I have Rye. So, I am using 10.50 lbs Rye, hence, 10.50 lbs Rice Hulls. Think I should cut it back to 5 pounds?

It seems like an excessive amount of rice hulls. For 5 gallon batches I only use a couple handfuls. If you use a pound or more I would definitely wet them or account for the amount in your water calculations.

Back