Bulk Grain Buy in South Central Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm putting together a bulk grain buy in South Central Texas (Austin/San Antonio Area). I'm not making any money on the deal, but you have to come to my place to pick up your grain.

We talking prices like this.

2-Row Pale for $24.16 or $0.44/lb.
Maris Otter for $32.96 or $0.60/lb
German Pilsen for $29.11 or $0.53/lb.
German Munich for $29.66 or $0.54/lb.
German Wheat for $28.56 or $0.52/lb.

I've got prices for more. The main point is you must order in 55 lb. bags. You'll also have the option of adding 1 lb. bags of hops for $8.00 to $9.50 depending on the variety.

If you are interested, PM me and we'll move it to email.

We need to put together a 42 bag pallet order for these prices. These prices are delivered and picked up in Austin.

Man I wish I lived there :D. But that is a great idea, kind of like a homebrewer's co-op of sorts....hmmm.....Ed, how did you find out who to call for getting those prices, If I might ask?

zoebisch01 said:
Man I wish I lived there :D. But that is a great idea, kind of like a homebrewer's co-op of sorts....hmmm.....Ed, how did you find out who to call for getting those prices, If I might ask?
We'll just have to get one of these co-op deals going on in our lovely Commonwealth. :tank:

It's pretty simple. Head on out to North Country Malt's web site. Check out their prices at this link. North Country Malt

You will need to click on a particular Malt manufacturer. Look at the prices.

Here's their flat pallet shipping rate. Shipping Rates

You'll need to add a 17.5% Fuel Surcharge to the shipping rate for your state.

The best deal is when you order 42 bags.

My group buy is down to 6 more 55# bags to make our 42 bag pallet.

Hurry and PM me if you want in on this great savings.

If this goes fairly smoothly, I'll do it again. In any event I'd be glad to provide advice to anyone else who wants to do it in their area.

Whoo Hooo, we reached the 42 bags for our bulk buy. The buy is closed. Thanks to those who participated. Emails to follow.

My Haus Pale Ale just went from $16.42 for 5 gallons to $8.10 (that's just over 15 cents per 12 oz. bottle) including malt, hops, & yeast.

Sweet!

beer4breakfast said:
That's getting pretty close to Toot's Lobuck challenge.

Yep. A great 4.5% session beer at $1.62/gallon.

HausAle3.jpg

Post on here if you decide to do this again. I will be interested after I get my grain mill (hopefully) this summer.

- magno

Shoot, I missed this one. I just went and bought 2 55lb. Weyermann Pilsner and red wheat over the weekend at AHS and I need a few more bags of additional malts. Hey Magno, if you want to get another group of people in the Austin area to give this another go I'm in for at least 2 bags and possibly 3. What do you think? Hey, I hope your Poor Richards Ale turned out well.

Any additional takers on another pallet of malt in the Austin area? I might be interested in being the point contact to set another order up.

Edwort,

How many people did you have in the order? I would be interested in getting an order together in the next couple of months. I'm a college student, though, so it'd have to be mostly cash-up-front and I think my roommate would be pissed if I tried to store a pallet of grain in our 2-1. Please let me know what difficulties (if any) you have, but otherwise, man, that beer is gonna be cheaper than milk, soda, OJ, coffee....

Thanks,
Doug

UTDoug said:
And if someone doesn't come pay for a bag of two-row let me know :)

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind. PM me with your email & phone.

Folks are paying up front before the order is placed.

UTDoug said:
Edwort,

How many people did you have in the order? Please let me know what difficulties (if any) you have, but otherwise, man, that beer is gonna be cheaper than milk, soda, OJ, coffee....

Thanks,
Doug

We have about 7 people in the group. So far everyone has stepped up. It's pretty hard if you have folks order 1 sack.

I am looking for folks who want some PBW. I'm going to buy a 50# pail of it.

I'll divy it up 5 lb. bags for $12 plus actual UPS ground shipping for interested folks. I have 25 lbs. to move. PM me if you are interested.

2,310 pounds of Malt and 44 pounds of hops came and went today. What a day, but it went smoothly and everyone has their product. I've got a few pounds of grain here to last me a few months. Here's what we ended up paying. We will do this again. My Tahoe smells like breakfast!

$0.42/# 2-Row Pale Ale
$0.41/# Pilsener
$0.46/# Wheat
$0.52/# Vienna
$0.58/# Maris Otter

BulkMalt.jpg

Yeah, it's not too hard. Just find a few folks willing to buy a couple hundred pounds each and before you know it, you have 42 bags to buy.

You can still buy less, but the freight charges add up quick. It's a flat rate and the more bags you spread it across, the better. To Texas, we had a freight charge of $5.46 per bag. Hops & chemicals rode for free.

I have enough PBW & Starsan to last a lifetime.

Latest posts

Back