C02 at night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
My kegs seem to get overcarbonated if I don't pull a pint in a few days. When this happens, I need to pull at least 2 pints before it starts to pour good glasses. Does anyone turn their gas off at night or over long periods of not drinking to keep beer from over carbing.

I have 7 foot 3/16 line, 35 degrees, 12 pounds pressure, perlick faucets.

Thanks,
Tom:drunk:

What your actually experiencing is a temperature rise in your faucet (and in your tower, if I am guessing right that you have one) It takes a couple pints to cool the parts back down. In the meantime it gives you foamy beer.

Overcarbing would not clear up in 2 pints.

Is this an overcarbonation problem or a serving problem?

If it's overcarbonation, as in your beer feels/tastes too carbonated for the style even after you've poured a couple pints, try venting and leaving it disconnected for a day or so, then reconnect at a lower pressure.

If it's just a serving issue, try adding 2-3 feet to your beer line and see if it helps. Might want to check your gauges as well - by the numbers, 7 feet should be long enough for that temp and pressure, so maybe you're actually at a higher pressure or temp than you think.

mine does the same thing, but it only takes a half a pint to cool the lines and faucet. its not a carb issue. (that is, assuming you have a tower)

+1 on the heating issue; try a blower fan with duct to tower (or circulator if using picnic taps), or copper into fridge up into tower to help keep it cold. It still may be an issue for the first pint, because I have noticed that over LONG periods of time the CO2 comes out of solution in the beer in the lines...

If you have a tower you need to cool it. A fan is a great solution, search the forum for "tower cooling" it also helps to circulate the coldest air form the bottom around the fridge.

Latest posts

Back