Providence Pint Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any decent beer pubs in Providence, RI? Heading there this weekend and would like to try a few beers from the area if there are any to be had!

http://www.trinitybrewhouse.com/ makes some damn fine beer. I have yet to visit though but I hear it is cool. Union Station is pretty good too and is right on the riverwalk. I went there the other night during water fire and sampled their flight. It was quality beer, although it didn''t strike me as anything special.

I have yet to find any really cool places to have a pint though. But the quality of beer here is as good as in the Northwest.

trinity, as tenchiro linked to above, is probably your best bet if you are partial to a more authentic brew pub experience. i've been there many, many times over the years and have never been disappointed. union square is trying to go upscale a bit, to their detriment, i think but their beers are reasonable, if somewhat uninspired. if you aren't interested in craft but are just looking for a good pub, the wild colonial on south water street is a kinda dive-ie, low key fave of mine.

If you can venture out of providence and make it to Warwick near the airport, hit up Track 84..you'll be glad you did.

Doherty's east ave cafe in Pawtucket is an awesome place to get a beer and something to eat. It's about 10 minutes from Providence. I wasn't impressed by Track 84 they have a decent selection but I wouldn't bother going there again. Trinity and Union Station are within walking distance of each other both serve ok beer. You can pick up 6ers of Trinity Ipa at most local liqour stores. But Doherty's is probably your best bet. Or you could check out this link and make your own decision.

http://www.brewingnews.com/webpdfs/YBN/YBN_RhodeIsland.pdf

I have yet to find any really cool places to have a pint though. But the quality of beer here is as good as in the Northwest.

owl_orly.png

:fro:

I liked the Track for it's beer selection however their food was limited to sandwiches and it was very noisy (couldn't have a conversation loud). The new brewer at Union Station is fairly adept at his craft and (from what i've been hearing) has been putting on some very tasty brews. Trinity is ok (try the nachos!) but i have never really been a huge fan of their beer. Dohertys East Ave Cafe in Pawtucket has over 100 beers (about 40 on tap) and their food is fantastic.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm sure we'll try Trinity Brewhouse and maybe Union place if we have time. Doubt we will get out of the city much but I'm driving to and from Prov airport every week just now so I might get into Track 84 at some point!

Like the sound of this dive-ie bar - that's probably a must see too!

Thanks guys I knew I could rely on HBT.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm sure we'll try Trinity Brewhouse and maybe Union place if we have time. Doubt we will get out of the city much but I'm driving to and from Prov airport every week just now so I might get into Track 84 at some point!

Like the sound of this dive-ie bar - that's probably a must see too!

Thanks guys I knew I could rely on HBT.

Track 84 is literally a stones throw from the airport (turn the corner at the Wendy's). and yes they have a great beer selection. I'd suggest a stop in for lunch, and picking up a sandwich at 'sandwich junction' next door (excellent sandwiches). You can carry it into '84' and get a pint (or 2) to wash it down.

Trinity and Union station are also good choices in Providence, and an easy stagger from almost any hotel downtown.

A bit further south in Warwick (10 minutes south on post rd from the airport) is also Ward's Publick house. a traditional 'Pub', they have some nice selections, and though not a brewpub, the food is quite good.

RI is a very small place, so you can get to almost anywhere in 30 minutes.

Quick update on this in case anyone else ever makes the trip to Providence.

Union Station Brewery - the place is nice, but I wasn't sold on the beer - the Gold was supposed to be some sort of belgian wheat but just tasted slightly like burnt rubber. The IPA and red ale were good but the others nothing special.

Trinity Brewhouse - much better for my money, IPA actually not as good as Union Station but other than that hands down the winner on beer quality. Quirky vibe in the place was good too. Looks like it's been around for ever but I think it opened pretty much the same time as Union Station.

well, union square is actually owned by John Harvard's, a chain that while not Disappointed in, i've never been uber pleased with (and no, that has nothing to do with the MIT/harvard pseudo rivalry). i honestly just find their beers uninspiring. though i agree with cd2448, their IPA and red ale were their best offerings the last time i had a flight there. trinity opened in 1995. i haven't had the summer offerings yet, but i have always been partial to the place.

glad you had a chance to check them out!

Latest posts

Back