Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the sweet mead I made.. it's very sweet

15lbs of honey
yeast extract
wyeast 4184
stabilized with potassium sorbate
cleared with super kleer kc

mead1.jpg

mead2.jpg

It was actually almost 3 gallons that I separated into 2 one gallon batches. I used a mini jet filter worked great, and I swear it tasted better after too.

I too have one of these and have actually run 10 gallons through it once, the last 2 gallons went quite a bit slower so I would recommend sticking to only 5 gallons per filter set. Also use a 1% solution citric acid and water. Run about 1gal through the filter pads before filtering the actual beverage. The first time I used it without doing this and ruined my 1 gal batch, made it taste like paper filters.... That one is still in solitary confinement until it shapes up.

It was actually almost 3 gallons that I separated into 2 one gallon batches. I used a mini jet filter worked great, and I swear it tasted better after too.

ah, ok I have that same mini jet, I use it for my wine batches, but they are usually 5 G batches, so I was just not wanting to "waste" a filter from a 5-6G batch on 1G batches...but I couldn't think of an easier/effective way:(

thanks for your reply.

Mixed Berry Mead I started back in April. Been Bulk aging until I bottled it a few days ago:

The current gang complete with aptly novel names... from screen left to right:

(1) No. 1 Nectar; my first short gallon mead after stabilising it, then cold crashing it in the freezer, and finally adding positive and negative finings. (Currently bottled in some recycled Leffe and Grolsch bottles, one of which I've added cinnamon and vanilla extract).

(2) Mr. Bungle (named because my housemates and I had a fantastically tortuous time trying to rescue my closed bung from the demijohn when shaking the must); my second gallon mead chocked full of about 4lbs (~1,900g) of honey, and

(3) Wizard's Socks; my ghettotastic half gallon brew of fly agaric and lemon infused mead (named because of the day or so I left the ingredients to stew in muslin stockings before adding the honey and preparing the must).

P1030287.jpg

You ferment fly agaric (Amanita Muscaria) in your brew? The mushroom has toxins which will (not can) severely damage your liver and kidney's. I've never understood why people wish to consume muscimol and ibotenic acid.

You ferment fly agaric (Amanita Muscaria) in your brew? The mushroom has toxins which will (not can) severely damage your liver and kidney's. I've never understood why people wish to consume muscimol and ibotenic acid.

I'm missing the point! This about PHOTOS of Mead or a Lecture on mushrooms?
:confused:

I'm missing the point! This about PHOTOS of Mead or a Lecture on mushrooms?
:confused:

The point is the poison in the Amanita Muscaria (Fly agaric) 'mushroom' can severely damage your kidneys and liver. Since someone in this post is 'brewing' it and has posted it in this thread, I feel it is important for others to know.

Sorry the warning has bothered you Southern Yankee.

The point is the poison in the Amanita Muscaria (Fly agaric) 'mushroom' can severely damage your kidneys and liver. Since someone in this post is 'brewing' it and has posted it in this thread, I feel it is important for others to know.

Sorry the warning has bothered you Southern Yankee.
Thank you for the warning...but you can eat these. It does take a lot of prep work, but yes you can.

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/24/eating-santas-shroom/

Also a quote from the article. "Historically, the Siberians boiled fly agaric and then drank the pot liquor to get roaring drunk. They then preserved the mushrooms for eating later."

In any case...:tank:

Thank you for the warning...but you can eat these. It does take a lot of prep work, but yes you can.

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/24/eating-santas-shroom/

Also a quote from the article. "Historically, the Siberians boiled fly agaric and then drank the pot liquor to get roaring drunk. They then preserved the mushrooms for eating later."

In any case...:tank:

There are a lot of things done historically which do not make a lot of sense today. Whether there are methods to remove toxins that will cause liver and kidney failure in the Amanita Muscaria are beyond the scope of my warning.

From left to right:
Cooper Brewmaster Pilsner, Edword Apfelwein, Piesporter White Wine and Mead.

The mead has the following ingredients:
- 1.3L Cranberry Juice
- ~400g Dextrose
- 1 cup juiced wild blueberries
- 5 fresh juiced oranges
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice (Nutmeg/Cinnamon etc)
- 2 tsp grated orange rind
- Cooper brewing yeast

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Looks a little clear for a heff! get some wheat DME in there. Anywho, looks real tasty in the end.

Yes, any ideas on how to increase the body without the use of grains is appreciated. This was my second batch, goal being creating a hefe that is gluten free, and since I have some experience with meads, figured I would take that approach first.

From left to right:
Cooper Brewmaster Pilsner, Edword Apfelwein, Piesporter White Wine and Mead.

The mead has the following ingredients:
- 1.3L Cranberry Juice
- ~400g Dextrose
- 1 cup juiced wild blueberries
- 5 fresh juiced oranges
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice (Nutmeg/Cinnamon etc)
- 2 tsp grated orange rind
- Cooper brewing yeast

Sorry to say but that is not a mead. Where is the honey? Its sounds like a fermented fruit juice instead. :confused:

Just made my very first mead tonight. So happen's its a JAOM.
Only thing I left out since I forgot to pick them up at the market were the Nutmeg and Allspice.
I don't think I'll miss the spices that much.
Looking forward to the next 2+ months and seeing how this turns out.

**Update** Its been 3 hours now and wow I can smell the yeast and everything else 3 rooms over in my house. :)

20140115_195248.jpg

20140115_195302.jpg

It is not April 6th yet, but had to crack a bottle of my Game of Thrones Mead, just to see how the aging process was progressing. Beautiful color, clarity, and the taste, simply fantastic. I am going to gather the ingredients this weekend to do another batch.

got1.jpg

got2.jpg

In with my first ever post! Here's one of the two half-gallons of my take on the Storm the Castle Fast mead (Fleischman's and all!). These babies were started in late July, and I was afraid they were going to be terrible, as they were unbearably dry a few months in. I was convinced on some homebrewing threads online to let them continue on. Eventually I cold crashed them in October or so, and have been letting them age since. Since December, the taste has been changing tremendously, and is reaching an agreeable flavor. I'm sure I'll make a thread soon detailing some questions I have.

wg3f.png

First one's kind of a dark picture. Strawberry on left, tripleberry on right (blackberry, raspberry, blueberry). Next one is the strawberry mead bottled, and last one is a new JAOM bubbling away.

ForumRunner_20140117_233253.png

ForumRunner_20140117_233327.jpg

ForumRunner_20140117_233344.png

My first mead. I sorta followed the "Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead" recipe.

Brew Date: 2013-06-22
Batch size: 2 gallons

Racked to Secondary: 2013-08-10

Bottled:
1st gallon 2014-01-22​
2nd gallon still in secondary​

mead.jpg

Kinda obvious which is which from the colours but here I have my bochet bottled last weekend and my banana melomel with gold leaf (for the girlfriend) bottled the weekend before that. The banana melomel tastes less like banana than I would like due to the fermentation process changing its flavour somewhat as was to be expected. It has however given the mead a wonderful amount of body and quite a nice young mead. 5 months down the road and we shall try it again!

Amber Valley-20140119-01115.jpg

Amber Valley-20140121-01118.jpg

Labeled my amazing desert pear melomel, so good...

That looks damn tasty. The labels are very detailed. I read almost all of the fine print on the back. Well done!

Mind sharing the recipe here or through a PM?

That looks damn tasty. The labels are very detailed. I read almost all of the fine print on the back. Well done!

Mind sharing the recipe here or through a PM?

It was roughly as follows:
16lbs honey
5gal pear juice (PITA to press pears)
used a 1/2gal cran-raspberry juice starter with RC212
OG came out to 1.150

Game of Thrones Mead Round Two. Second batch, created two weeks ago, OG 1.096, just transferred off the pepper/dates mush, took a small sample to get a reading, 1.012, already at just over 11% ABV. I expect this one to finish and clear like the bottle from the first batch shown here and above, 14-15% of earthy sweet hotness.

gotrounhd2.jpg

Several test Bochets....a 5 Gallon Wildberry Melomel and some JAOM (5 gallons). All started with-in the last 35 days.

Here is a pic of my berry melomel that I racked to secondary. 1 month old and very dry. Good berry flavor but light on the honey flavor. Og started at 1.100 and finished at .996. I'm going to split into 3 one gallon glass jugs for one as is, one will get some toasted oak cubes for a few weeks and then back sweetened and the last will just get back sweetened.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391574472.913703.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo...taken with my phone.

Left to right: Blueberry melomel, Orange melomel (taken from Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead) JAOM (we all know about this one!) and a Mixed Berry melomel.

The JAOM was started mid Jan. All the others started there after...
Looking forward to a taste test..thus the small 1 gal batches..

:tank:

20140205_132119.jpg

Nice! I just started a gallon of this. When did you start yours?

Started it about 2 months ago? A little more? I think mid December though I don't remember off the top of my head. It was a fast mead though, and it came out tasting amazing.

Latest posts

Back