Local Brew Supply House in Pittsburgh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chattan

Reaction score
I live in State College and the nearest LBSH is 90 miles. I will be traveling through Pittsburgh, PA. Can you recommend a LBSH in Pittsburgh?
Thank you,
Chattan

Hey man, you have a couple options. In the 'Burgh, there's South Hills Brewing Supply. They have 3 locations: Monroeville, North Hills, and Greentree. I prefer the Greentree shop, seems to have more inventory to chose from.

There is supposedly a True Value hardware store in Bellfonte that has brew supplies. I personally go to Bootleggers in Altoona(if you can make his hours) or Brew-It-Yourself in Loretto. In a pinch, I'll stop by Oak Spring Winery just off I99, Pine Croft exit.

I've only been to BIY once, but I think it's going to be my favorite. Talk to Ed, he'll hook you up. Plan to spend some time, he is a veritable fountain of knowledge. My brother-in-law swears by him.

I find it hard to believe there aren't any shops in SC. You'd think a college town would be a prime market.

Hope this helps.
Steve

I have been to the true value. They have a bunch of Brewer's Best extract kits, 6-8 different grains (he doesn't mill them for you, though, so you need a mill), and a bunch of hopunion hops. They've got some equipment, but their wine making inventory seems to be more what they're into. Want to check out Bootlegger's, maybe drive out to Loretto and check out Brew It Yourself.

Nittany Valley True Value is the closest to State College, PA (still a 20-30 minute drive) and he does have the basics of equipment and a selection of kits. Very reasonable prices and really handy in a pinch! I picked up a bag of hops that I forgot to grab for dry-hopping and we also had a bottle capper break on us... so it's incredibly nice to have a LHBS in a relatively short drive's proximity.

We were just at the Porterhouse Homebrew Fest at Cooper's Lake (it was awesome) and I highly recommend their store if you are headed towards Pittsburgh. Depending on the route you take, it is well worth it to drive a bit out of your way.

I did meet the owner of Brew It Yourself (Altoona-Loretto area) there too and he was a great guy. Tried some of his beers and they were super tasty!

Nittany Valley True Value (also known as Nittany Valley Feed and Hardware) is actually in the process of expanding. He can order pretty much anything you'd want, from what I can tell. $19.99 for a pound of centennial hops. A little more than Hops Direct, but no shipping included. It takes me <20 min to get there from the University.

Farmhouse Brewing Supply is now open at
710 Main St
PGH PA 15212

We have the same hours as our Wisconsin store.

Cheers

Back