White Rajah Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of follow up on this, brewey has been real busy with the addition of 2 40 bbls Fvs to brew into.

Anyways, If you guys wanna get your beers delivered here by Feb 22nd we can go ahead with the evaluation, I have received one thus far (thanks Mike C)...or if their is concensus to put it off till March thats fine too.

Thanks
JackK

Who won the brew off Sauce ???

Why did this thread die off so close to producing a recipe for this amazing beer? Did anyone come up with a close proximization?

Here's a total guess. I believe Brew Kettle was recently purchased by a group of investors so maybe they squashed the brewers involvement. That doesn't explain why the posters went extinct though. Maybe it was an asteroid.

most of the information regarding white rajah can be found in this thread, from what info we have it would take several brew sessions to really hone in on the recipe. I haven't given up, just takes time. I know brunstuckyjoe brewed a recipe that I thought would've been good. maybe he can share his experience.

Well it doesn't help the information stopped coming. I would have loved to see some side by sides of this beer.

And honesty, the side of a bottle of any Rogue beer gives out more information than was ever divulged to us here, and that makes us still pretty far off from being able to nail this thing with any certainty

pickles said:
Here's a total guess. I believe Brew Kettle was recently purchased by a group of investors so maybe they squashed the brewers involvement. That doesn't explain why the posters went extinct though. Maybe it was an asteroid.

I didnt know they were sold that could very well be the reason why the brakes were slammed on this thread. I would love to see a fleshed out recipe for this beer because it is a world class ipa.

So based on reading through the first 7 pages of this thread the grain bill is something like this

2-row 85%
Honey Malt 5%
Carapils 5%
Flaked Barley 5%

And hop % go something like this

Citra 30%
Nelson 20%
Centennial 30%
Columbus 10%
Summitt 10%

I have has a lot of this beer and if the ibu are really just 70 it must be bittered with a small amount of Columbus and just hammered really late with a blend of the above hops. I'm really not clear at all on a hop schedule though so someone please help a fellow American out with this.

Thanks. I'm heading there in a couple weeks. I'm not too sure about this quote from the article.
"The Brew Kettle fans shouldn’t be nervous, he added. "There are no real changes that people should see. It should be nothing but better."

Corporations tend to concern themselves with the bottom line sometimes to the detriment of the product. I hope that won't be the case because they brew great beer at TBK.

Rajah went up $1 per six pack about 2 months ago. I bet the "investors" started crunching some numbers...

pickles said:
Rajah went up $1 per six pack about 2 months ago. I bet the "investors" started crunching some numbers...

I bet you are right i have been paying $11.99 for a 6 pack which is a $1 increase. It hasnt stopped me from buying every 6 pack i find though lol. I love White Rajah. Any thoughts on a recipe?

I love it too and I have it nearly weekly, if its available. I don't have a recipe but its loads of hop aroma and flavor and not too bitter. If say your right in that it gets a huge late hop charge. Probably let the hops sit at 180F-190F for a while. Ill give it a go soon; I'm in the middle of a brew house rebuild so it'll be a few weeks.

Chris stepped away from running the production brewery side to do other things....Jack(Sauce) is running the production brewery....I had problems with my siphon and clouded up my batch and it didn't turn out as good as planned....the recipe needs to be tweeked a bit. I noticed the restaurant side of the business is a bit different with the investors running it....I go there quite a bit to eat.....

BrunstuckyJoe said:
Chris stepped away from running the production brewery side to do other things....Jack(Sauce) is running the production brewery....I had problems with my siphon and clouded up my batch and it didn't turn out as good as planned....the recipe needs to be tweeked a bit. I noticed the restaurant side of the business is a bit different with the investors running it....I go there quite a bit to eat.....

I will be going to TBK in a couple weeks stopping there on my way to Cleveland. I'm looking forward to it. What did your hop schedule look like for your recipe?

1oz Columbus @60
1/2 oz Cenntennial@30
1/2oz Citra @30
1/2oz Cenntennial@10
1/2oz Nelson@10
Dry hop 14 days with 1oz of Centennial, Citra, Nelson, and Summit.

I based it on what Jack hinted on if you read back thru his hints.

Any other ideas would be welcomed by me....

sauce said:
As for the hops, I like hop blends that use the same basic percentages for all the flavor/aroma additions...figure the percentage of each hop then its just about how many and when for the hop additions.

Sauce had thst to say about the hops. If the percentages are in fact 30% Citra 30% centennial 20% nelson sauvin 10% columbus and summit as stated in the thread just have to figure out the timing of the additions. I am at a loss as to how

BUCKNUTS said:
Sauce had thst to say about the hops. If the percentages are in fact 30% Citra 30% centennial 20% nelson sauvin 10% columbus and summit as stated in the thread just have to figure out the timing of the additions. I am at a loss as to how

How to get all that flavor and aroma and mild bitterness and stay at 70 ibu

BUCKNUTS said:
How to get all that flavor and aroma and mild bitterness and stay at 70 ibu

Hop bursting. Like the stone enjoy by. I would start at aroma and work backwards. I would estimate the dry hops to be around 2oz per 5 gallons and taste it after a week. If its not enough, dose with another 1-2 oz dry hops. I bet TBK uses whirlpool/flameout hops, but they just muddy my hop flavors so I don't use them anymore (no filter). I would go with a 5 minute aroma addition and a 20 minute flavor addition, then work the IBU to find the total buttering addition. FWIW, I would use a single bittering hop, 2 at most. Columbus and nugget in even additions would be good for bittering this. Columbus is a bit too mellow on its bitterness to be a solo bittering hop I think. I would try a total of 1/2oz flavor hops and 1oz aroma hops to start on this one. It may be 1.5-2 times that, but id start there. I make a good chinook pale ale with those percentages and chinook is 12% AA. I won't be brewing this for a while myself because I'm working on founders all day and harpoon leviathan iipa now. Great beer though.

Just my thoughts here. I may be completely wrong.

Cheers

Hop bursting. Like the stone enjoy by. I would start at aroma and work backwards. I would estimate the dry hops to be around 2oz per 5 gallons and taste it after a week. If its not enough, dose with another 1-2 oz dry hops. I bet TBK uses whirlpool/flameout hops, but they just muddy my hop flavors so I don't use them anymore (no filter). I would go with a 5 minute aroma addition and a 20 minute flavor addition, then work the IBU to find the total buttering addition. FWIW, I would use a single bittering hop, 2 at most. Columbus and nugget in even additions would be good for bittering this. Columbus is a bit too mellow on its bitterness to be a solo bittering hop I think. I would try a total of 1/2oz flavor hops and 1oz aroma hops to start on this one. It may be 1.5-2 times that, but id start there. I make a good chinook pale ale with those percentages and chinook is 12% AA. I won't be brewing this for a while myself because I'm working on founders all day and harpoon leviathan iipa now. Great beer though.

Just my thoughts here. I may be completely wrong.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. Maybe hop bursting is the answer maybe it's not bittered at all. The beer has bitterness but it is mild bitterness if I were to eliminate the Columbus at 60 minutes in what I have been working on it would certainly allow for more late addition hops and White Rajah has to have a ton of aroma and flavor hops.

Hop bursting is definitely the answer. There is some amount of bitterness up front. . . even though other ideas have been suggested, my guess is that it is entirely Columbus which will allow the flavor and aroma to steal the show. Which is the idea. 20 min for flavor and 5 min for aroma works well in my system as well. I would start at 2 full ounces each at 20 and 5 and work it back from there and 2 or 3 ounces on a dry hop too. I also need to add that, and I have to run this through my brewing software again, but I'm thinking 5% honey malt is too much. I've really been meaning to get back with you all on this thread but I just don't have a ton of extra time at the moment. I did get a pm from bucknuts . . . I would reply but there is nothing I would send to you that I wouldn't post for everyone to see here.

Here is what I have to try next:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 7.9 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 6.3 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.6 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 2.1 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 1.2 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

For my system, 150 mash temp. and add some gypsum.

The dry hop seems overly complicated to me. . . just saying

rjschroed said:
Here is what I have to try next:

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 19.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 7.9 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 6.3 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.6 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 2.1 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 14 1.2 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.33 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.17 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
0.17 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

For my system, 150 mash temp. and add some gypsum.

The dry hop seems overly complicated to me. . . just saying

This recipe is extremely close to what i have except i only had 1/2 pound of carapils. When i look at the hops and do the math and see just over 5 oz in the boil i convince myself it cannot taste like rajah. I like the hopping schedule i think i'll double the 5 min additions which will push the i us over the 70 that is claimed on the label but i think will give me a beer in the glass thats closer to the original. Thank you for your input appreciate it.

This recipe is extremely close to what i have except i only had 1/2 pound of carapils. When i look at the hops and do the math and see just over 5 oz in the boil i convince myself it cannot taste like rajah. I like the hopping schedule i think i'll double the 5 min additions which will push the i us over the 70 that is claimed on the label but i think will give me a beer in the glass thats closer to the original. Thank you for your input appreciate it.

Happy to help. Let us know what you end up going with and how it turns out. Doubling the 5 min addition is a great idea too.

rjschroed said:
Happy to help. Let us know what you end up going with and how it turns out. Doubling the 5 min addition is a great idea too.

I think a lot of the hop character is coming from dry hopping. There seems to be a lot more bang for the buck there to me.

Well rjschroed, sauce did like your previous post.......you must be on to something.

we know the grains and The color are right and the hops and the ibus are right. I will be brewing this in 3 weeks I have another ipa to brew this weekend. I will post results in this thread.

I am very curious as to how this turns out.. I read this thread all the way from the beginning and would love to duplicate this brew, as it's become one of (if not) my favorite beers that is easily available (at least in Ohio!).

I may get the stuff necessary to brew it this weekend, as i have to pick up an ounce of citra for a change i made to another beer that I was going to brew soon. I'm glad Amarillo isn't in it, as that hop is hard to find atm.

Jeffries55 said:
I am very curious as to how this turns out.. I read this thread all the way from the beginning and would love to duplicate this brew, as it's become one of (if not) my favorite beers that is easily available (at least in Ohio!).

I may get the stuff necessary to brew it this weekend, as i have to pick up an ounce of citra for a change i made to another beer that I was going to brew soon. I'm glad Amarillo isn't in it, as that hop is hard to find atm.

Keep us posted if you brew one up. I will be brewing this a week from saturday and I'll be sure to post results when it's drinkable

Brewing Rjschroed's recipe, except subbing Cascade for Summit (brew store said they've never carried summit) and only using 0.20 lbs of Honey malt (I would have assumed there was none from the taste of it). I recently did an IPA with 2.6% Honey Malt (0.5 lbs) and it turned out overly sweet, if sauce hadn't said it was in there I would have bypassed any dark malts altogether and done strictly pale / car-pils & flaked barley. I'm using WLP001 because the brew store was completely out of 1056... what yeast are you using?

IMG_20130817_144041.jpg

Brewing it as I type this! Hit my target mash temp of 150 spot on! Cheers! (I like to wait until i'm at a boil to have a brew or two, too much running around)

Jeffries55 said:
Brewing Rjschroed's recipe, except subbing Cascade for Summit (brew store said they've never carried summit) and only using 0.20 lbs of Honey malt (I would have assumed there was none from the taste of it). I recently did an IPA with 2.6% Honey Malt (0.5 lbs) and it turned out overly sweet, if sauce hadn't said it was in there I would have bypassed any dark malts altogether and done strictly pale / car-pils & flaked barley. I'm using WLP001 because the brew store was completely out of 1056... what yeast are you using?

Brewing it as I type this! Hit my target mash temp of 150 spot on! Cheers! (I like to wait until i'm at a boil to have a brew or two, too much running around)

I brewed 2 8 gallon batches of ipa on the same day used 1 pound of honey malt in each and i agree with you they are too sweet gets in the way of the hops.

I agree with you they are too sweet gets in the way of the hops.

I've learned when it comes to IPA's and Pale ales, you have to treat the darker malts like salt, a little bit goes a really long way. I'm more of a fan of dry, bitter & dank IPA's (RuinTen, Enjoy By, Stone IPA, Two-Hearted, All-Day, etc..) and like little to no malt sweetness... Beersmith is telling me it's going to be 5.0 SRM, which is just dark enough!

At a boil at last! Enjoying my Founders all-day IPA clone next to an actual Founders All-Day. Guess which one is mine? (same orientation in both photos)

IMG_20130817_163122.jpg

IMG_20130817_162952.jpg

Will keep you guys updated as this thing progresses (up and to when I compare side-by-side with White Rajah).

Jeffries55 said:
At a boil at last! Enjoying my Founders all-day IPA clone next to an actual Founders All-Day. Guess which one is mine? (same orientation in both photos)

Will keep you guys updated as this thing progresses (up and to when I compare side-by-side with White Rajah).

Not a fan of Founders All Day IPA now their Centennial IPA is a different story that's a tasty IPA

Jeffries55 said:

I'm guessing yours is on the right. Did you use the all day clone here on HBT? Wondering how yours turned out

Yep and yep! I had to make substitutions because I couldn't find any Amarillo, so the first two batches I bumped it up to 8 lbs pale and Citra in place of Amarillo. Brewed a 3rd batch (pictured) and kept everything the same but added a half ounce of Chinook to the dry hop. While it's still delicious, I did snag 3 Oz (limit) of Amarillo from the brew store today, so the next batch will be per the recipe on here (Amarillo, Simcoe, and crystal). I don't know that I would use Chinook in this recipe again... Or maybe just less of it, but it was missing those floral / grapefruit notes).

WLP001 and 1056 are the same yeast and for sure what I would go with. Summit, as I recall, is sort of a strange little hop that isn't used too often. Or at least if it is, it isn't publicized like some other hops. I don't know that cascade is a reasonable substitution but who knows if you even notice it in such small proportions. You might be on to something with less honey malt. On my system (meaning the way I brew with my equipment), I don't have any problems producing an extremely fermentable wort (super dry) and even then 8 oz of honey malt scares me a little. My advice would be to adjust that to your system. Keep us posted on how this one is coming along.

Back