Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karp's is a great place... I just really, really hate Larkfield road. I can feel myself tensing up just thinking about driving to Karp's.

Karp's is a great place... I just really, really hate Larkfield road. I can feel myself tensing up just thinking about driving to Karp's.

i hear that! The addition of a dozen or so red light cameras on that road makes things worse.

Brewing my first batch using liquid yeast. Harriet's West Side IPA with a Belgian yeast. Something a little different here. Enjoy your weekend folks.

Bellmore brewer here. Been brewing a little over a year.

Let me reiterate the value of LIBME. The meetings are always great and usually informative. I've also done a few events (participated in an all grain clinic, and just recently did a "social brew day" in Wantagh). Also +1 for Karps. Great place. I wish someone would open a lbhs in southern nassau though.

Hey sch21c, check out kedco in farmingdale if you havent already. That may be closer to you, and they have a very decent selection. Plus the guy Dave is the man.

Hey sch21c, check out kedco in farmingdale if you havent already. That may be closer to you, and they have a very decent selection. Plus the guy Dave is the man.

Yeah, I've heard about them, but haven't stopped in yet. I've been planning on stopping by there when I needed that one thing I forgot. Luckily, I haven't really had that happen yet. :)

Also heard that there's a new shop opening up in Glen Cove soon.

Thanks,
--Sam

Bisco_Ben said:

Dave is a great guy and knows his stuff

Hi. I'm in Rocky Point, started in January, have two small fermenters, fifth and sixth batches fermenting now. My LHBS is Brewtopia in Port Jeff. They have brewers meetings the first tuesday of every month at 7pm. I met some nice guys, tried some great brews. I'm still doing extract, but plan a simple biab for my next batch.

East Meadow brewer here. I go into brewing in November and have done 2 extract (with grains), 3 partial mash and 13 all grain BIAB. I'm addicted to this hobby and can't get enough.
My go-to brew store is Kedco in farmingdale, Dave is awesome and definitely knows his stuff. I also stop by Karps if I'm in the area for work.

East Meadow brewer here. I go into brewing in November and have done 2 extract (with grains), 3 partial mash and 13 all grain BIAB. I'm addicted to this hobby and can't get enough.
My go-to brew store is Kedco in farmingdale, Dave is awesome and definitely knows his stuff. I also stop by Karps if I'm in the area for work.

I'm from East Meadow too :mug:
Now living in Merrick

any of you Suffolk county brewers do anything to your water? Been using half tap and half filtered so far and wonder if using anything will make a big difference.

No, I don't. (Though I am pretty new) A nanobrewer told me to filter it in summer, when there is more chlorine in it. But a homebrewing water engineer for SCWA told me that chlorine is very volatile, and evaporates at 80f. Apparently it also evaporates from standing water pretty quickly. Some HME recipes specify filling the top off water while boiling. I believe this is to let the chlorine evaporate. I made a grain batch that was too strong, so I tried mixing some tapwater in half the bottles. Those didn't carb well, I believe because the chlorine weakened the yeast. Had I boiled the water first, I think it would have worked.
We have excellent tap water on LI. You can access the water report for your local well on the SCWA website.

Aside from me of course..

I figured it might be good to know a few brewers on the island so I started this thread. I'm in western suffolk, brew IPAs almost exclusively and have only been brewing about a year, but have about a 15 batches under my belt. Recently went all grain and have been having a blast. I usually hit Karps although my one time at Arbor was great and the woman there was very helpful.

Hey ilikeguns...

just noticed your sig on the first post you were getting ready to brew a Doublejack clone. Has become one of my favorite beers over last year and I'd love to hear how yours turned out...and see the recipe.

Thanks!

New Homebrew shop on Long Island. Homebrews & Handgrenades 2378 Grand Ave. Baldwin. 516 223-9300.
2 weeks old.

I've been waiting for them to open. I live in Bellmore, and it was a pain driving 45+ minutes to get to Karps or Arbor.

Good shop. Pete, the owner, is a nice guy. Very nice selection of grain. Most (maybe all of it, not sure) is bulk, not pre-measured. Nice when you only need 1.5lbs of something. Also, good selection of Wyeast.

Definitely worth stopping in if your in the area.

Hey Folks,

It's technically Long Island, but a very sticky point being that we brew in Rrockaway Beach, Queen, NYC. Either way, we are having our first Homebrew meet up in less than a month. We have some very awesome sponsors and a really great spot for the event. Lots of door prizes, but we need More HomeBrewers!!!

image-626813881.jpg

LastChair said:
New Homebrew shop on Long Island. Homebrews & Handgrenades 2378 Grand Ave. Baldwin. 516 223-9300.
2 weeks old.

I have been to Homebrews & Handgrenades twice now and I really like it. It's a nice clean shop and the owner is a really cool guy. Will definitely be frequenting this shop

Currently live in Astoria but moving to Great Neck next month.
Brewing for 3.5 years, but have been on hiatus- had a kid, should be brewing once we get settled into the new place.

I don't think I said hi in the thread.
Turkey Fryer for 3-4 gal boils.
Kitchen at FD for fulls if I want. Like the big kitchen much better.
Extract with specialty grains but want to BIAB!.

I couldn't agree more about Karps. Allen and the rest of guys there are always ready to spend some time answering my questions and giving me advice. I went from a Northern Brewer kit to my first all-grain last year, and just finished my second all-grain last week ("Brew Day" was on my calendar in July but a lot of home repair projects have kept me pretty busy since then, lol). I couldn't have done this without their help and support.

Below is a picture of my two tier system. Most of this was DIY thanks to the advice given by Karps - except for the welded fittings on my brew kettle due to the fact that I screwed up drilling one of my "weldless" coupling holes and went to Allen with my sorry tale and advice for a decent welder in my area. The welder that he recommended was excellent, by the way.

I've nearly always been able to find what I need there (grains, hops, yeast, etc.) so it's become a more or less one-stop hbss for me.

1470293_504016949695461_984634051_n.jpg

Hey ilikeguns...

just noticed your sig on the first post you were getting ready to brew a Doublejack clone. Has become one of my favorite beers over last year and I'd love to hear how yours turned out...and see the recipe.

Thanks!

sorry.. was away from here for a while.. I can't come close.. even if i had the exact recipe, my technique is lacking.

This is one i followed.. maybe you'll have better luck with it! I based it on http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html

Boil Size: 8.33 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 9.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.3 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.2 %
5.0 oz Caramalt (35.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.5 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 4 41.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 12.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 19.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 22.2 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 2.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

ilikeguns said:
sorry.. was away from here for a while.. I can't come close.. even if i had the exact recipe, my technique is lacking. This is one i followed.. maybe you'll have better luck with it! I based it on http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html Boil Size: 8.33 gal Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal Estimated OG: 1.088 SG Estimated Color: 9.7 SRM Estimated IBU: 99.9 IBUs Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 % Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 % Boil Time: 90 Minutes Ingredients: ------------ Amt Name Type # %/IBU 17 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.3 % 2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.2 % 5.0 oz Caramalt (35.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.5 % 1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 4 41.2 IBUs 1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 12.5 IBUs 1.00 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 19.6 IBUs 1.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 22.2 IBUs 2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs 2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 2.8 IBUs 1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 10 - 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs 2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs 0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Day Hop 13 0.0 IBUs 0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Thanks guns

I've looked at this recipe before. I have trouble with these big beers lately. I need a container for 1 gallon starters (I usually do 1.5 L in a growler, better than not doing starter but not enough yeast I guess) and oxygen. Then I'll try it.

Thanks guns

I've looked at this recipe before. I have trouble with these big beers lately. I need a container for 1 gallon starters (I usually do 1.5 L in a growler, better than not doing starter but not enough yeast I guess) and oxygen. Then I'll try it.

I bought a few 1 gallon growlers that do the trick.. most of the beers like this need a 3L starter so the 1 gallon gives me enough headspace. Works great with my DIY stirplate.

hey guys! another islander here, out in Bohemia. started this summer but only have 2 extract brews under my belt so far. a irish stout was my first and came out so delicious im hooked. i have a xmas beer bottled now that im gonna taste this weekend and im deciding what to brew next. got my kit at karps, awesome place. bought a case of bottles at kedco and my xmas beer kit at arbor with some odds and ends. went to a free brewing class at my library that was taught by a cool younger fella from hoptron brewtique. been trying to convince the wife that "yes we have room" and "no its not weird" to have a kegerator in the living room!

Back