• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

HomeBrew Beer Kit Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevep415

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'm really new to home brewing but I love beer and wanted to get started at trying my hand in making my own. I'm looking to buy an at home kit, and would love some recommendations of which kits and where to get them at the best price!

Cheers!:mug:

I think Northern Brewer is pretty fair for extract kits. But if you just google beer recipe kits, I'm sure you can compare exact kits. Also wouldn't hurt to see what kind of deals your lhbs has. If its a dollar or 2 difference, support the little guy.

Morebeer.com has some good extract kits for less than $.50 per beer. I was attracted to them because I was afraid to ruin a batch of expensive beer. They even offer free shipping on orders over $59 of items which qualify for free shipping program. The kits do not include yeast, but that was ok since my LHBS is only a mile from my house.

http://morebeer.com/category/10-beers-50-beer.html

I have had the Amber Light Ale, Blonde Ale, and Brown Porter. All have been very tasty in my opinion and any friends who have been lucky enough to get a glass or two before they are gone.

I work for a lhbs and we make our kits in-house. All but yeast is included, but we do sell that as well. All of our kits are tweaked, medal winning recipies. We offer clone and style kits with some new style kits coming out soon.
http://www.barleynvine.com/brewingkits.html

Check us out. Most orders are sent out within 24 hours, except orders placed over the weekend, which are sent out on Mondays.

I think he's looking for a starter (ie equipment) kit, not just a prepackaged recipe.

Oh Duh. :drunk:

I got my starting equipment kit from Northern Brewer because they didn't kill me on shipping and I though their price was fair. But it really depends on what kind of starter kit you want. I knew that I wanted glass carboys and to do 5 gallon batches right from the get-go, so it was an easy choice. Again, do some googling. NB, Morebeer, Midwest, etc etc etc.

Every few weeks midwest brewing has a starter kit sold thru Groupon. Just google groupon and midwest brewing or beer and something should pop up. Costs about 65 and comes with the basics like fermenting bucket hydrometer etc, a beer kitlike stout, red and 25 gift certificate. Pretty good deal. I bought one for the extra equipment.. good luck

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the replies. And yes im definitly looking more for a starter kit. Right now it seems to be between Midwest brewing and NB. I didnt see anything on groupon. I found them in a group buy for really cheap on Massdrop.com so I am gunna try to go through them, but they need more people to vote for the group buy to get it on the site for cheap so all help is appreciated! :mug: any preferences between midwest and nb?

If you can find that midwest deal, its totally worth it for 65. Total 77 because they charge 12 for shipping.. I think other coupon sites like Living Social have the same deal.. just keep searching and eventually they will have the sale again. Good luck!

Back