• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Am I asking to much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a good price to me. GLWS.

If I knew which direction I wanted to go for my stand I'm planning now I would consider this.

OK, I'll be the voice of dissent here. (3) 15 gallon pots can be had new for $750. Valves, the HERMS coil, pump and controllers are what, maybe another $500? Burners a couple hundred and you're suggesting the stand itself is worth almost a grande - and those are all "new" prices.

As someone else said, one of the challenges is that you're trying to sell a fairly large brewing item so your market is small and something like that doesn't lend itself to shipping so the market gets even smaller.

Mashinations said:
OK, I'll be the voice of dissent here. (3) 15 gallon pots can be had new for $750. Valves, the HERMS coil, pump and controllers are what, maybe another $500? Burners a couple hundred and you're suggesting the stand itself is worth almost a grande - and those are all "new" prices.

As someone else said, one of the challenges is that you're trying to sell a fairly large brewing item so your market is small and something like that doesn't lend itself to shipping so the market gets even smaller.

Controllers and all electronics ALONE are easily $500 not including an enclosure if he bought a nice one.

If the propane valves are ASCO they run $100-200 ea.

I was in the market a month or 2 ago until I put together my own. The price is fair but if you were closer I would have offered you 2k since that was my budget. Goodluck with the sale.

Controllers and all electronics ALONE are easily $500 not including an enclosure if he bought a nice one.

If the propane valves are ASCO they run $100-200 ea.

That's a couple of "if's"... nowhere does he specify the details on that equipment. And yes, I agree that it's worth that price NEW to get that stuff if I was going to buy it myself... maybe just me, but if I'm buying it used I don't expect to pay as-new prices.

If he's advertising it properly (CL, here, maybe ebay) and not getting a buyer - by definition, he's asking too much.

That's a couple of "if's"... nowhere does he specify the details on that equipment. And yes, I agree that it's worth that price NEW to get that stuff if I was going to buy it myself... maybe just me, but if I'm buying it used I don't expect to pay as-new prices.

If he's advertising it properly (CL, here, maybe ebay) and not getting a buyer - by definition, he's asking too much.

That is not asking too much by definition. Large expensive items have a limited market. Time plays a role in the sale of large items. You only sell large items quickly when you ask too little.

That is not asking too much by definition. Large expensive items have a limited market. Time plays a role in the sale of large items. You only sell large items quickly when you ask too little.

Well sure - if he's willing to wait long enough, inflation will eventually catch up to where it doesn't look like he's asking too much. :)

Again - lots of "if's". You're assuming he's just recently posted. My assumption is that he's been trying to sell it for a while before he posts something asking "am I asking too much?"

At $200 that 40 plate chiller had better be the longer version from Duda Diesel. If not, then it should gave a lot of fittings on it to do everything (including giving the brewer a happy ending,). You can buy a new 40 plate chiller (short version) for <$100, or $175 for the long version. Just add your QD fittings (or get the one with hose barbs).

Thanks for all the good input guys. Oh by the way its only a $50 chiller, its the sticker on it that wourth $150.

It's worth it, but you'll never sell it for that. What make are the kettles? If Blichmann you'd probably sell, but otherwise I don't think so. Again, not that it isn't worth it, but it's probably high by $400 or so. And yes, you're trying to sell a used plate chiller for new+ prices. That one item makes it seem like you'd be shooting high on everything else too, from a buyers prospective.

bottlebomber, from the pictures (in the CL listing), they kettles are not Blichmann or another known make. Looks like they're ones the OP could have made (or maybe had made). The size of them also makes them not Blichmann's or others I've seen listed (14 gallon?)... IME, 14 gallon kettle sizes is really limiting when it comes to 10 gallon batches. Hell, even 15.5 gallon keggle mash tuns will limit what you can brew in 10 gallon batch sizes.

IME, it doesn't matter what you paid to configure the kettles, or even paid for them if they came that way. Used equipment is used equipment. You cannot expect to get even close to what you paid for it.

Just my 2 pennies.

I'm not going to comment on the price you're asking for your rig. I'd just say anybody that wants a full out brewery with all the fixings has to look at more than the cost of parts. Time and labor, even if a labor of love, cost money. For somebody who wants to build their own consider your labor cost per hour and shipping, not just the cost of the parts.

Your stand is pretty expensive parts wise. People seem to forget though that time is cost. Have somebody build your stand commercially, the price would double. Stands don't wear out quickly.

Back