LightBeerSucks.com What Do YOU Want to See in a Beer Website?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelmcl

Reaction score
Recently I registered the domain name LightBeerSucks.com when I was pretty intoxicated (on bud light).

I would like to develop some type of community, I have ran forums before and am not interested in this as the primary function of the website perhaps a afterthought though.

Anyways any ideas for what you guys would like to see in a beer website?

User submitted reviews, photos of hot girls drinking heavy beer, a beer exchange?

Any recommendations welcome

michaelmcl said:
Recently I registered the domain name LightBeerSucks.com when I was pretty intoxicated (on bud light).

I would like to develop some type of community, I have ran forums before and am not interested in this as the primary function of the website perhaps a afterthought though.

Anyways any ideas for what you guys would like to see in a beer website?

User submitted reviews, photos of hot girls drinking heavy beer, a beer exchange?

Any recommendations welcome

Keep it ironic, otherwise you'll be written off as just another ignorant beer nazi ;)

I just registered LightBeerSucks.comSucks.com....lol

Just kidding......definitely there is no reason to make a site that just plain bashes light beer. I'm the biggest beer snob you'll ever meet, but I still enjoy a Yuengling or Miller Lite (or 12) on occation. Keep it light and positive!

Dry stouts are light beers. They generally have a low FG and fewer calories than many other beers. Pale ales are light beers. They are lighter in color than stouts and brown ales. India Pale Ales are light beers. Historically, they were considered light beers in comparison to porters and stouts. Doctors recommended them to invalids. Blondes, wheat beers, and tripels can all be considered light beers.

So when you say that light beer sucks, it really just reinforces people's preconcieved notions about beers. It also doesn't dispell any confusion about what someone means when they talk about light beers, as that can mean many things.

Now, I might think that when you talk about light beers, you really mean lite American lagers. But even then, to cast them all as unfavorable is just an act of beer snobbery. It's clear that these beers have their place among drinkers. While you may think poorly about their choice of beverage, many people who enjoy craft beer also feel that a dry beer that isn't very bitter or malty can be quite refreshing at times. Someone on this forum always seems to be brewing a cream ale, which is essentially a lite lager brewed as an ale.

Not only do people reconize these beers as having a place in the beer world, but brewers also reconize the difficulty in making one of these beers. Because these beers are light on bitterness, hop flavor, color, and malt character, they require judicious adherance to brewing process. These beers do not mask mistakes. A person who can repeatedly brew consistent lite beers has demonstrated his or her skill and knowledge in brewing.

True confessions: after a hard days work on a hot & humid Florida day, I have to admit that I like an icy cold refreshing "light" beer.

Back