Schlafly Pumpkin AG Clone Recipe - Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smchenry75

Reaction score
Here's my stab at a Shlafly Pumpkin Clone. I started with the info from Schafly's website... They state the following:
  • Grains: 2 Row, Crystal, Munich, Wheat Malt, Chocolate Malt
  • Hops: Marynka - 16 IBU
  • Other: Pumpkin & Spices
  • ABV: 8.0%
  • OG: 1.077
  • SRM: 26.6
  • Yeast: American Ale

Here's the recipe I've come up with... Please critique.
  • Batch Size 5.7 gallons
  • Boil Size 7 gallons
  • Brewhouse Efficiency 65%
  • 12 lbs Munich Malt
  • 6 lbs 2 row pale malt
  • 1 lbs white wheat malt
  • .75 lbs Crystal 120
  • 3.2 oz Chocolate Malt
  • .6 oz Marynka Hops - 60 minutes
  • American Ale Yeast
Will add carmelized pumpkin and spices in the last 5 minutes of the boil and then add pumpkin pie spice to taste to the secondary.

Beersmith has this recipe hitting my ABV, IBU's and SRM almost exactly. My OG is a bit high... 1.08 vs. 1.077.

I feel like this is pretty close but welcome suggestions. I absolutely love this beer and want to nail it. Thx!

Just realized I had already blown through half my case of Schlafly's for this year, and I need to cool it! Definitely right there with you, my all-time favorite pumpkin beer.

I find that Schlafly's definitely has a unique spice profile. Most pumpkin beers just taste like cinnamon with a bit of clove to back it up, but the Schalfly's seems like it's a little more aggressively nutmeg-y, and that the cinnamon much lighter, in the back with the clove.

This beer contains a portion of butternut squash as well as real pumpkin. The website or bottle doesn't list it, but it's in there. Both of these squash are most likely mashed, boiled, and added to the fermentor. The beer seems to finish quite high do to all the residual sweetness and full body. So be careful in that regard when you consider the yeast selection and application.

I am drinking one of these now. One of my favorite Pumpkin beers, but at $12.99 a six, it's killer. This recipe looks intriguing. I may have to brew this up just in time for the fall. I just bottled my Pumking clone but it wouldn't hurt to have 5 more gallons of my other favorite pumpkin beer.

How did this one turn out OP? Anything you would do different? I want to make a clone of this, this fall. I tried contacting Schlafly through email about this recipe, but got no response yet. It doesn't seem like they're willing to part with it though. They list the ingredients on the website, but not quantities or anything. I was thinking of trying to put this one together in BeerSmith, but I'm sort of new to creating any recipes and couldn't figure out how much of each ingredient. I had what I thought was close, but I didn't save it because I wasn't sure about it. Also, how much of the spices did you use?

Back