Wireless Video/Audio Transmitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Comcast bought out my cable company. After a fight they grandfathered my old cable package, but now they won't give me a second box without me loosing that deal. Kind of crazy because I want to pay them extra money every month to rent the second box, but rather then take it, they're just being spiteful because I reported them to the Board of Public Utilities.

Anyway, I’ve done research on these transmitters and found mixed reviews. I'm looking for some outside opinions. Anyone here have first hand experience with this unit? It could solve all my problems.

5.8GHz Wireless A/V Sender with Build-in I/R Remote Extender - RF-Link USA

Screw Comcast. They'll find ways to raise your rates before you know it. Go satellite, instead...or try that AT&T u-verse.

Oof. Sorry to hear Comcast ate the local guy. I'm a Time Warner sufferer, I feel your pain. I don't know about the wireless A/V sender, but I've been quite curious about the same products.

Good luck with the fight. :(

I hate cable co's. And I'm too much of a wuss to try satellite. Not my cup of tea.

I hate comcast on so many levels...

But anyway, I have a little familiarity with the lower end model that Radio Shack sells. When I worked there briefly we actually used them alot around the store to send audio/video signals to displays without dragging cables around, plus it was a good way to promote the product.

Anyway the cheap version from Radio shack worked great for short line of sight runs and had limited wall penetration...

So if I would recomend the cheap RS version as being decent, from reading the info on this one, it seems several times better. Plus it can take your wireless remote signal and extend them as well, that's a plus.

It would never supplant a direct run of cable, but it would do in a pinch.

The ad kind reminds me of downtown Toronto at night, with Crazy Eddy's and Sam the Record Man all in tacky blinking lights...but with hot chicks.

Mu Faves
homepage_automation_burst.gif

homepage_complete_solution_burst.gif

homepage_remote_burst.gif

homepage_pcgadget_burst.gif

i use x10 for a ton of stuff at the house. auto light controls, sensors, cams for outside. used to block them cause i was spammed so much. but broke down 5 years ago and bought a home automation pack.

That's absolutely hilarious. I'm just speechless about the x10 site.

OP, I've had some experience with wireless A/V transmitters and its not good. On a consumer level they just aren't good enough audio or video quality for my taste. I've had lots of interference with the ones I've used and its just not worth the $100 or so you spend on it. That was several years ago but I don't think the technology on the lower end models has really changed that much.

:off:
I just priced a wireless security system for work that included a DVR and 8 or so 802.11 cameras and it was around 6-7k. It was nice because you could access the DVR through the internet but hardly worth the money for my application. The tech I talked to strongly recommended against the wireless because he had had so many problems with it over short distances.

Sorry for your pain experience, Hope you will overcome these difficulty!
Just come across this site fmheroes.com, all kinds of fm transmitter there, you can go and have a reference. I am not proficient in this area, but still hope I helped!

OP, I've had some experience with wireless A/V transmitters and its not good. On a consumer level they just aren't good enough audio or video quality . . .
Ended up running a HDMI cable for HD quality audio and video, but still use the IR remote to chance the stations.

:off:
Robbi. Nice thread revival and nice first post on a beer forum. :cross:

Yeah, I hate Comcast. Their internet is AWESOME - BUT our bill fluctuates and continues to get bigger and bigger despite the fact that we have very limited channel selection. It is nice getting 1 bill.

Can't get Uverse of Verizon Fios (which is awesome). Wouldn't mind a dishnetwork but we plan on moving. Although the more I think about it - the more I want to get it.

Back