Do you care about the calories in your craft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

febbrewro

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/29/AR2010062900910.html

:rolleyes:

Haven't read the book, but based on what they said about the Bigfoot barley wine (mentioned in the article), I'd say the authors have no idea what they're talking about. No one is going to sit down and drink a full sixpack of Bigfoots in one sitting.

Best part of the article: Counters Ken Grossman, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.'s founder and president, "It's a stupid way of judging anything: like saying, 'Don't eat a pound of butter.' "

Do any of you drink a specific style or brand based on calories? I don't personally - taste dictates beer selection, and moderation is the key.

Thats a good question! I was thinking about this last night actually... while noticing a little flab around the midsection, haha

I dont choose beer or discount a beer because it is high in calories. However, I could not help but notice that my Olde Ale I'm planning to brew will have an estimated 510calories per 12oz... Its a bit of a hard thing to balance. Exercise is key with a hobby like this, and I'd feel a lot less guilty about having a beer or two every evening if it didnt equate to an extra 500 or so calories. I'll never not drink a beer because of its caloric content, but moderation is definitely key. As much as I'd want to have an Old Stock every evening, 500+ empty calories after dinner is just not healthy every day...

Yes, craft beer has calories, all beer has calories... just find a balance between health and beer and you're fine!

Well...If beer could be exactly the same but be zero calorie.... i would drink more of it, so I guess I cant say that calories mean nothing to me in regards to beer consumption

Edit: to actually answer your question, no... I definitely dont choose beer based on calories!

I suppose I kind of do care about calories. I tend to treat beer as dessert and cut down on the amount of ice cream, cake, etc. I eat accordingly. I don't actually tally calories, nor do I drink to get drunk.

EDIT: Just noticed this:

"The authors recommend substituting Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale (155 calories) for Bigfoot. But Fireside is available primarily in November and December, while Bigfoot doesn't hit stores until late January or early February, so the two aren't likely to overlap"

Seasonality aside, they're entirely different beers. I might decide how much of a beer I'll drink after deciding what I want. But the above substitution strikes me as silly.

I, too, have gained weight since starting this homebrewing hobby. Not only am I enjoying my homebrewed creations, but I'm also buying more beer because I want to sample brews I haven't had before. That said, most of my personal weight gain is most likely from the food I enjoy with my beer, not just the beer itself. And I work a job that involves sitting a desk 8 hours a day. Being a foodie, a beer nut, and having a sit-down job is not exactly the best combo for the waistline.

I wonder if there are any lines in the Affordable Health Care Act that are gonna mandate ALL breweries to post calorie content on their beers?

This article is silly. Although, frankly, I wouldn't mind calories being printed on the label. Mostly because I like know things like that. It does not affect my decision process, but I like know random things about what I consume.

For the record, I am fat, but not getting fatter! :)

I have said it many, many times before (just maybe not here). I would rather drink/eat what I want, die fat and happy, even at the cost of x years of my life, than to live to 120 having drank a foul tasting chalky "health drink", eating what is good for me vs. what I want and die skinny, cold and miserable...

I find that people that "count calories" other than diabetics (or for other medical reasons) are generally unhappy. They are not only unhappy with themselves but are generally miserable to be around.

Bottom line(s) are:

No one gets out of life alive.
+
You can not take it with you.

So, "no" I do not count calories in anything let alone my beer...

With commerical beers, I only care if the calories are really low. For example I don't feel bad drinking a bunch of MGD 64's (don't judge me!)). If I KNOW the beer I'm drinking is super high, I'll probably indulge in it less often, or less heavily. Otherwise, whatever.

I don't care about my homebrew calories.

This reminds me of a Guinness ad campaign a while back. Low calorie beers were getting more and more in vogue, so Guinness did the research and found out that their beers only had like 150 calories each, which isn't too bad. They had this campaign saying that "Guinness only has 150 calories, but not on purpose".

The calorie content of craft beer has no impact on my consumption, either style or quantity. I rarely have two pints in a day and often only one or none. I get way more calories from bread.

I find that people that "count calories" other than diabetics (or for other medical reasons) are generally unhappy. They are not only unhappy with themselves but are generally miserable to be around.

I'm disiplined with my eating (I count calories, fat, carbs, and protein) and I'm neither unhappy or generally miserable. In fact, I'm much happier and much healthier now that I take better care of myself. That said, I make a generous allowance for beer. :mug:

I know I'm in for some calories when I drink. It happens.

well since im a college student and i watch some friends drink like 8-10 beers a night i think i am ok to have 1-2 heavy calorie beers every so often. but i have always said that it shouldnt matter how much calories you take in but how much you exercise. calories are good for you and you enjoy them so hell eat lots of calories just put them to use and go for a run.

I have said it many, many times before (just maybe not here). I would rather drink/eat what I want, die fat and happy, even at the cost of x years of my life, than to live to 120 having drank a foul tasting chalky "health drink", eating what is good for me vs. what I want and die skinny, cold and miserable...

Bottom line(s) are:

+

:ban: Eat drink and be merry! I'm with you, brother!

I just try to limit my intake throughout the week (less Blizzards at 950 cal., less bagels and muffins etc) and run as often I can and I haven't gained a pound.

I usually alternate my Bigfoot beer for beer with Michelob Ultra. Or sometimes I make a blended beer with the two.

Nah - my mutant metabolism will last me til I'm 53. Well, minus the distended belly I get when I put a couple away, but that's only halfway disgusting.

If I cared that much about calories, I wouldn't have a IIPA fermenting that Beersmith calculates will have 413 calories per pint :)

Since the World Cup has started and its Summer, I've taken to wishing I looked like when I played soccer in high school.

So now I do think about calories when I'm drinking my/anyone's homebrew, but its not a deciding factor in which beer I'm drinking, just how many.

Listing my deciding factors starting at least important to most:

#91243 - Calories
#91242 - Logo/Name
#3 - Price
#2 - Availibility
#1 - Taste

In the effort of full disclosure, I'm 6'8" and about 375, so I'm not as affected by calories as lesser men.

Bottom line(s) are:

+

Rock on, good sir. You only get one go around, so live out loud!! :rockin:

Yeah, I watch the calories in my beer. And chuckle evilly as the count keeps going up!:D

I usually alternate my Bigfoot beer for beer with Michelob Ultra. Or sometimes I make a blended beer with the two.

This sounds tasty. I'm going to "blend" some up when I get home!

But seriously DogFish WWS has 666 calories per 12oz? :drunk:

Cripes. Some idiots are counting calories on craft beer? And then suggestiong that drinking a 6-pack of Bigfoot could be bad for you?? Are you sihtting me?

The best part was when they suggested you substitute a brown ale for bigfoot. Oh, yeah, I was going to have a Barleywine, but this brown ale is pretty much the same thing, right??

The article makes me believe that these guys are intentionally misleading people. I think it sucks and I'm not going to put up with it anymore!!

I don't necessarily count calories but I do keep a general tally in my head, and limit what I eat most times during the week to make up for beer calories; also exercise 6/7 days per week. On the weekends, all bets are off :).

I care about everything in my beer, including calories. I just don't count the calories, but I do care about them. :)

The money quote in the article comes at the end:

"If you are self-conscious about gaining weight, go for a run," says Sam Calagione. "Don't stop drinking flavorful beer."​

Besides, any book that recommends drinking Starsux is not to be trusted, IMHO.

The money quote in the article comes at the end:

"If you are self-conscious about gaining weight, go for a run," says Sam Calagione. "Don't stop drinking flavorful beer."​

Besides, any book that recommends drinking Starsux is not to be trusted, IMHO.

I agree with this, and if you look at the guy he appears fit. I hate it when I hear people say that they just want to live a merry life because they'd rather die fat and happy than skinny and miserable. You don't have to sacrifice beer or anything else to be fit, and being healthy shouldn't make you miserable.

The attitude most people have is "F-it" or "whatever" and it's not the food that makes them obese, it's the attitude. Not everyone was meant to be a fitness buff, but I'm certain that most people could benefit from a little more exercise in their life. Hell, it can even benefit your brewing. I used to listen to the brewing network podcasts when I'd run.

Back