What Brand Of Remote Dual Sensor Smoker Thermometer Do You Have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
My buddy has a large vertical LP smoker and gives huge parties-last one had 150 pounds of various smoked meats. Sometimes he does nuts and cheese too. At the last party I saw he had a single probe thermometer with remote that was programmable for different types of meats. I do not recall the brand, but I mentioned to him that I would want one with dual probes. He got it from his daughter and knew nothing of what was out there or how much stuff was. So I went looking and found Polder, Taylor, and Maverick.

So now for product recommendations-what is the best way to go?

I have yet to find any that are any good. Read reviews on amazon and they are all mixed. I have tried 3 different brands myself and none of them are accurate.

Only one guy has digital remote smoker thermometers?

dataz722: What brands were the three that weren't reliable, the three I listed?

I've had two of them... one was an accu-rite (which it wasn't. I don't know who made it) Customer svc thought the probe was bad and sent me another, but still had innacurate readings. The other was Taylor. The remote units on both worked OK, but the readings after a few uses drifted off. I'm sure there are good ones, but my experience wasn't good.

I know one was taylor and one was maverick. I can't remember what the other was. It was one of the big brands though. It may have been a different Taylor. From all the reviews and everything that I have read it almost seems like its not the brands or even the models that make as much difference as each unit does. Some people will have one that works great for years and others will have one that will never work right.

Just one suggestion though. When you buy one (or any thermometer for that matter) but a box of 100 alcohol pads from the pharmacy. The box is usualyl under $2.00. They are the perfect thing for cleaning the probe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back