can I get away with...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_b

Reaction score
1 IPA kit beer from Black Rock New Zealand

and adding
1.8kg (4lb) LME
AND 1kg dextrose

with standard kit yeast? Or will the higher alc content kill the yeast?

Or will the alc content be so high with 4lb of LME that I should skip the dextrose?

Thanks kindly for advice!!

Those additions will kick up the ABV by about 5%. That's going to be way out of style to say the least, but it probably also won't be that nice to drink. It will be hot and probably come across thin. If you really want a high gravity beer, go for a style that supports it.

I would skip the dextrose as it would probably give you a cidery tasting IPA. :(
The LME is a much better choice. You should be fine with the kit yeast.
I'm not familiar with that particular kit but you may throw your balance out of whack by increasing the malt without increasing the hops.

Bad bad idea.

If it does work it'll be noting like the beer it should be.
Why waste the money?

There are lots of good(well some good) recipes for higher ABV beers that are proven and balance.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little surprised on the comments regarding IPA not being a suitable style to support a higher ABV. I was under the impression though that IPA was originally on the boat from Engerland at quite a high ABV in order to survive the 6 month trip to the East Indies. That's why I chose this style to jigger with. Check out India Pale Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Further feedback most appreciated.

IPAs typically have a higher ABV like you say, but adding sugar isnt the way to get it. Like they say above it will thin out the body and make the beer taste cidery. You'll want to add more LME. I'd say 3-4 lbs more. And while your at it, why not even steep some grains, maybe .5 lbs of caramalt or crystal 40L for some added flavor, color, and complexity.

The kit you are talking about will be designed to be balance. Doing like you say will make beer but not good beer.
If you started talking about steeping some grain, adding more DME and hops then you'd be in with a chance of making a good beer.

If you want to experiment and see for yourself then by all means do it but done get your hopes up.

Again thanks for the advice so far!

General consensus seems to be at least extra hops, preferably grain as well.

At this stage, I think I'll try the extra hops, and leave steeping some grains for another time, as I'm still a bit of a noob to brewing.

My local home brew store sells:
Whole Hops - 450 gm $16.95
Hop Pellets - 100 gm from $6.50
Finishing Hops $3.50

I'd be glad for a point in the right direction with what to add, and how to add it. Probably prefer the simplest acceptable method rather than the best ;).

Again, thanks!!

What you really need to find out is the Alpha Acid % on the hops offered. Here is a help full chart. It will give you an idea of how bitter the beer will be. I've also used this brew calculator with good success: The Beer Recipator 2.2

To tell you the truth, if you can steep a tea bag in a cup of warm water you will be able to handle steeping grains. It's as simple as that. Have your water in the brew kettle between 155-165, put the grains in a grain bag/muslin bag/cheese cloth, and let them sit there for 30 min. After 30 minutes discard them then proceed with your boil. You will get good flavor and a nice color.

Good luck

Back