I have a 5 gallon pot n 6.5 gallons of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo

Reaction score
I am doing an all grain reciepe that has 6.5 gallons after mashing, and it boils down to 5.5 gallons when done. Can I boill down 5 gallons, and the last 1.5 gallons as the wort evaporates? I planned to add my hops after the I added the last bit or wort in the pot and got it boiling again.
I am doing Biermunchers Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

I planned to top it off to 5.5 in the fermentation bucket with water.

Why not just scale down the recipe?

Alternatively, you could do two separate mashes/boils by splitting the grain bill in half-- then combine in the fermenter. Just a thought.

Why not just scale down the recipe?

because I need the 5.5 gallons. Splitting it might work. Maybe if I mash it into a fermentation bucket, get the 5.5 gallons mixed to blend it up and then pour it into to separate pots. I have a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon ss.

I just ordered a 7.5 gallon pot. It won't be here in time though =(

Just collect the first 4 gallons in the 5g pot and the last 2.5 in the 3 gallon pot. Hop in the 5g and just boil down the 3 gallon. No big deal. Both are cutting it close for boilovers but it's doable if you watch like a hawk.

Just collect the first 4 gallons in the 5g pot and the last 2.5 in the 3 gallon pot. Hop in the 5g and just boil down the 3 gallon. No big deal. Both are cutting it close for boilovers but it's doable if you watch like a hawk.

Nice. That works for me. I love this site. So many people with practical ideas, experience and willing to share. If your reading this and haven't paid for membership, you should! :p

Or look into Fermcap-S, that stuff is a miracle.

I don't have to worry about it anymore. I have a 15 gallon Keggle, 8 Gallon Euro Pot, 5 Gallon SS, and 4 gallon Enamel.

I did use the 2 pots though. I did 3.5 in the 5 gallon ss and 3 in the 4 gallon pot. I hopped the 3.5 pot and blended them in the fermenter. I also staggered the boil by 15 minutes so I could use my immersion chiller in both batches. The beer came out great.

You're gonna need a bigger pot than the 7.5gal if you plan on doing all grain. I typically start with 7-7.5gals of wort depending on how much hops to account for boiloff/trub/hop absorption. I have a 10 gal and just bought a 15gal to do some bigger beers.

I use a 7.5 gallon for all-grain all the time. I end at 5.5 gallons with an hour boil (generally start at 6.75-7 gallons) and never lose more than a few cups to absorption.

It is a little close to the rim when I start boiling, but so is my 20 gallon ;)

Back