Gas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
Lets hear it, what did you spend for a gallon of regular this week?

I just got stuck paying $3.59 Amherst, NY

Dude...it's $3.85 in socal. Chill out. Not to mention, everything is an hour away. People from this area can attest, but it's not uncommon for folks to drive 45 mins just to go to dinner. I can't WAIT to get out of here.......

I'm paying about €1.20 a litre which is about $7.10 per US gallon...

And try asking Orfy it's even more expensive in the UK...

sorry, I should have clarified that last statement. Dubya and his OIL mates make an extra BILLION this week. Dubya and his military contractor mates and "reconstruction" mates make an extra TEN BILLION this week.

rmck1 said:
I'm paying about €1.20 a litre which is about $7.10 per US gallon...

And try asking Orfy it's even more expensive in the UK...
If I've done the sums right, I think we're paying $8.08 per US gallon at the moment.

$3.59 a gallon... man, that would rock.

I think once the oil gets to about 200-300 per barrel the US might shift its ideals to better resources.

But then again we will make the rest of the world go hungry by using their food to produce ethanol......

sigh... How do we keep voting these idiots in? I sure as hell am not voting for them

Ill never complain about oil prices. What we pay is not bad at all, compared to other parts of the world. People that complain about prices should see how much it cost to drill a well. Not including the fact that if a dry hole is drilled how much a oil company loses.

A-holes, you jinxed me. It was $3.07 in central Jersey yesterday, this morning it was between $3.13 and $3.19. WTF!?

Compared to the rest of the world, our gas has been held artificially low for a very long time. It's like I was saying the other day at lunch...there's only one way that alternative fuel technology is ever going to become a reality en masse, and that is through the market. And as long as we have cheap fossil fuel, there's no incentive for the market to investigate and develop alternatives. But when gas prices start to approach a point where it's actually hitting the pockets of the consumer, the pressure to develop alternatives becomes greater.

If you ask me, it's a good thing. But then, I live 3 minutes from my office.

Cheapest place around here is Costco for $3.35 as of two day ago. I guarantee that by the end of this thread we'll be in a big debate about why prices are the way they are, but I still think it's because the oil companies are making a killing off of us (40billion dollar PROFITS), we are still content paying over 3 bucks a gallon, and not changing our driving habit or the types of vehicles we drive, and because oil is a traded commodity, and most of the price increase is caused by speculation and not anything tangible.

I really feel for some of you overseas guys, and really don't know how you even afford to go anywhere. I'm guessing you have more fuel efficient vehicles and probably use more diesel?

For some of us with decent jobs, gas prices aren't really killing us even though we bitxh about them, but it's really affecting low income people, independent truck drivers, and it's driving up the price of everything else we buy.

I think I paid like $3.30 this week. It seems the per gallon amount has a larger swing amount day to day than I have ever remembered before. There is a 25-35 cent window that the prices seem to fall between.

like was said before, my family is not in a paycheck to paycheck situation currently, so the gas prices do not really dictate too much for me now. However, I can only imagine the havoc it can cause for people just getting by, or even worse. Plus there is the effect it has on the prices of all our goods and consumables... We are talking gasoline here; once you jump into diesel, you are talking crazy. The truckers are the ones taking the biggest hit, still less than other parts of the world, but it does effect our market at a higher rate than the impact of our (commuter) wallets at the pump.

Just filled up in El Cajon, Ca yesterday and paid $3.75 a gal. Be thankful for the US Gov giving that 15 billion to the oils guys otherwise they would have to raise the pump prices to make up the difference.

I have to say that I have changed my driving habits drastically. I now have I bicycle that I ride around for neighborhood errands and I have been taking buses to work. It also helps that here in Burien, almost everything that I need is within 1.5 miles. The only time I take the car now is when I am hauling back stuff too big to carry.

And with gas about $3.50 a gal. here I feel that I will be able to put more food on the table and more brewing equipment in the basement.

$3.75 yesterday for premium at Costco. I can't complain. I'd rather drive a fun car and pay a little more for gas than drive a boring car and hate every second of driving.

$3.75 yesterday for premium at Costco. I can't complain. I'd rather drive a fun car and pay a little more for gas than drive a boring car and hate every second of driving.

Thats why I got my bike- Saves me 2-3000 a year on gas.

Ryanh1801 said:
Ill never complain about oil prices. What we pay is not bad at all, compared to other parts of the world. People that complain about prices should see how much it cost to drill a well. Not including the fact that if a dry hole is drilled how much a oil company loses.

Pardon me if I don't feel bad for the oil companies when the drill and get a dry hole (so many jokes here). However, the major oil companies have posted billions in profits while normal people foot the bill. I don't see why the gov't will fix the price of corn and milk, but not that of gas at the pump. If there is anything central to the US economy it's oil.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose someone making a profit if they run their business well. However, when they are consistently posting profits in the BILLIONS it may be time for some regulation.

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose someone making a profit if they run their business well. However, when they are consistently posting profits in the BILLIONS it may be time for some regulation.

:confused: Why? Everyone wants to point fingers, but would it make any difference to you directly if they were making profits in the tens of thousands instead of the billions, and gas was still $3.50/gallon? No. The fact that they make thousands or billions is irrelevant to whether or not it sucks to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas.

Evan! said:
:confused: Why? Everyone wants to point fingers, but would it make any difference to you directly if they were making profits in the tens of thousands instead of the billions, and gas was still $3.50/gallon? No. The fact that they make thousands or billions is irrelevant to whether or not it sucks to pay $3.50 for a gallon of gas.

Why? Because higher oil prices lead to higher prices of everything in our economy, not just gas. This makes the price of their product an issue of national security by way of economic health. For me, I don't care if the price of gas hits $8.00/gal...I'll still buy it because I can afford it. However, for people with low paying jobs who HAVE to pay big at the pump it's a big issue. Should we allow big business to threaten the stability of the lower and middle classes becuase they want to make BILLIONS? IMHO, oil is a special product and requires special regulation.

I really dont care about the gas prices, I wouldn't want to be payed less for doing the same job I do just because there was a higher demand for me. Plus a dollar or more of the gasoline prices go to State and federal government through tax so thank them for the high prices.

Record profits yes but in relation to their margins they are the same. Oil companies work at 8-10 percent profit margin has been this way for decades. Their recent profits have been bolstered by the price of the oil they produce. Speculators are the main reason that oil is so high just google the Enron loophole. Enron still is screwing everyone.

Just do the math 50 $ barrel =$5 pr 100 = 10$

I paid 4.499 for diesel on Monday . $139.50 to fill my truck needless to say I am riding the Harley more this summer.

springer said:
Record profits yes but in relation to their margins they are the same. Oil companies work at 8-10 percent profit margin has been this way for decades.

Yep. Exxon made 18.6% GROSS profit in 2007. Uncle sam took 26.5B (41%) of that leaving them with a 10.9% net profit.

I remember when my dad owned a gas station - everyone would yell at him for gas prices, not knowing that the retail guy only makes like $0.03/gallon.

Exxon probably makes the same or less per gallon - they just happen to sell it in the billions of gallons per year. Only a few cents per gallon at billions of gallons adds up mighty quickly.

Even if your retailer and exxon dropped their profit 50% - gas still only goes down 5-8c per gallon - not enough for 'real' savings at the pump.

The winners are the gov't, the stock market guys, and OPEC. Sure, Exxon benefits greatly, but they're not making even remotely the BIG part of the cash cow. For that, you need to be talking to a Saudi Prince - figure out what HE makes per gallon...

Just paid $3.53/gal.... At 17 mpg and an average of 400 miles a week driving this crap sucks.... I need to get off my ass and get my bike running again.

I wish my car would run on milk, it's only $2.79 a gallon (at the station where gas is $3.40)

I just filled up...$4.20 a gallon! I never thought I'd spend nearly $60 filling the tank of a MINI Cooper. And I don't dare drive my Blazer much, considering the mileage it gets.

At least I get 5% back from Discover...eventually. :drunk:

Excuse my rude butting in here, but IMHO, it is not their food, it's our food, to be used as we see fit........

It became their food when we made them dependent on our good nature. Not that I think we should feed the rest of the world.... But we need to move to switchgrass and stop using corn.

i f the gov would just let them drill for more oil this crisis would be done, then we wouldnt have to worry about foreign oil

Back