Slow Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro16

Reaction score
Hello,

On Batch #4 Brewed on Sunday. Almost 6 hours later, I got a vigorous ferment going. By the mon. morning, there was about 1"of Krausen at the top. I though everything was going great. However, today after work, the Krausen was near gone, and activity has slowed considerably. There is still quite a bit of circulation going, but not near as vigorous as the 1st 3.

I used a German/Holsh Yeast, and pitched at 70 deg. , it is now at 68 deg.

Any thoghts (Is this a stuk ferment?)

Or, are some yeasts not as vigorous/active as others?

jro16 said:
After 2 days?
Sure, sometimes it just happens fast. Like Sam said a gravity reading will tell, but if you had good krauzen and good bubbles for a day and then it started to slow down, chances are good that fermentation is nearly done, IMHO.

OG 1.064...haven't taken 2nd measurement yet. Didn't want to inerrupt whatever fermentation I had left.

You won't interrupt anything. Just keep your stuff sanitary when you take a sample.

If it looks like it's stalled out, just give your fermenter a swirl to revive the yeast a little.

I will take a reading tomorrow. I already gave it a swirl, what about temp. Will raising it up a few degees, maybe 70 kick start some more activity.

I am baseing this on my past 3 attempts, which I had a solid 3 days of vigerous fermentation, and about 3" of Krausen (blew off on 1st).

jro16 said:
I will take a reading tomorrow. I already gave it a swirl, what about temp. Will raising it up a few degees, maybe 70 kick start some more activity.

I am baseing this on my past 3 attempts, which I had a solid 3 days of vigerous fermentation, and about 3" of Krausen (blew off on 1st).
Warming things up might kickstart activity if there's any left to be kickstarted, but if it's near done you won't be helping anything by doing that. Your hydrometer will likely confirm what your beer is trying to tell you. ;)

Each beer is different...just because you've had 3 in a row that fermented for 3 days doesn't mean that the next one will...it might take a day, it might take two weeks. RDWHAHB. :)

Well, I was afraid of this...SG reading was1.036 down from 1.064. Should be around 1.014.

Now I am getting a bubble every 30 seconds with, and the circulation is gone..now just sttling.

Should I re-pitch?

Every batch is different, sounds like this one is fine. 78% attenuation (1.064 to 1.014) is on the high side, don't be surprised if it stops around 1.020. In any case, give it a full week.

WIll the SG continue to fall from this point, even with little to no activity?

jro16 said:
WIll the SG continue to fall from this point, even with little to no activity?
You have activity! The airlock is still bubbling so your brew is still fermenting. Initial fermentation looks spectacular with all the swirling, foaming, blow offs etc but give it 7 days in primary to finish - The SG will continue to drop more.

jro16 said:
Well, I was afraid of this...SG reading was1.036 down from 1.064. Should be around 1.014.
[\quote]

I assume that this was an extract based batch. Correct?

1.036 is indeed somewhat high for the fermentation being done. How did the sample taste. Did it taste sweet?

Kai

relax and have a home brew or any brew!!! I can say that i never take SG readings. I just wait a week (until the bubbling slows to once ever 2 minutes) and rack to a secondary for 2 weeks+ and then bottle. After I bottle i wait 10 days and open one to test it and see how its carbonated. If its not ready i wait a few more days and try again.

the big this is RELAX!!!!

Thanks guys!! I will proabably rack on Sunday...7 days. The sample was bitter, I didn't discern a sweet tate. I took a sample from my secondary (American Amber), it had a SG of 1.012. Ready to bottle this weekend. It tasted very good (Hoppy), so the flavor of my primary (Fat Tire Clone) was forgettable.

Airlock is bubbling once every 45 sec.

I'll say this, I have learned a lot this batch...thanks for all the feedback.

Sorry - too much info. My Secondary is definately ready for bottling.

It is my primary I was concern with. Yesterday SG of 1.036, bubbling every 45 sec.

I racked the Fat Tire Clone today (no remaining activity). The SG was at 1.030, still high, but the flavor was better. I assume this will be my Final SG (Low ABV), or will it drop any more in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back