How to keep stopper in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
First brew here and I have racked by beer into a carboy and notice that the stopper (bung) keeps popping up. I'm sure its due to the carboy being wet from star san, well I thinks that's what it is.

I am using a universal carboy bung, so I used electric tape to keep it down. But is there a secret method?

RE: Universal carboy bungs have a generous taper, so they fit standard 3, 5, 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys. It is impossible to push carboy bungs into a carboy. Unlike stoppers, carboy bungs will seal a carboy when they are still wet.

I usually just sanitize and then let the stopper dry, then as others have said wipe out the mouth of the carboy with a paper towel.

I know what you are going through though, I had the same problem with my first carboy. Just be glad you didn't push the stopper all the way through like I did!

Welcome to HBT and to our obsession!

LOL!
I just had this same issue just the other night on my first attempt to brew anything (Eds Apfelwein)!

After everything was all set, I put the stopper/airlock in and it would just slide on up.
Did this a couple times and figures it had to be some of the Star San sitting on the plug and bung.
So, I placed plug on a paper towel for a few minutes and put it back with no sliding issue.

:)

AFAJ Brew Guy said:
Just be glad you didn't push the stopper all the way through like I did!

When I bought the carboy, the LHBS peeps warned me about that lol!
What would one do if it did happen I've been wondering!?

Shaggy said:
When I bought the carboy, the LHBS peeps warned me about that lol!
What would one do if it did happen I've been wondering!?

Sanitize a new one and use that. Leave the other in the carboy until you rack/bottle. :D

Back