Rube Goldberg Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As it warms up, even my basement is in the seventies. I don't have a spare fridge, nor several spare coolers. But, the dirt under the basement is about 55' year round. I put a thermometer on the floor, it's about 65. I put the fermenter on the floor, covered it with a styrofoam box. The wort temp dropped three degrees.
In winter I have to carb beer atop the hutch to find air warm enough. In summer, I use dirt.

Home Depot sells rubbermaid rope totes for about $10. Place your fermenter in a water bath inside one of those, wrap a towel around the fermenter draped into the water. It'll drop you about 5-7º as is, a fan and/or frozen water bottles and you can take it into the 50s easily, even if room temp is 75º.

Thanks, I'm a little leery of swamp cooling in the basement. I think it would mold.

It will if you leave it. You don't even really need to do it in the basement even. In the warmer months, I use starsan solution in the swamp cooler, and after primary fermentation is complete, I remove the fermenter and dump the water since temp's not that important at that point.

Back