Converting Brutus from NG to Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerElf

Reaction score
I''ve moved and no longer have easy access to natural gas, so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to convert my rig over to propane.

Here's what I've got now:

gas beam to 1/2" pipe to white rodgers 764-742 pilot valves to a pneumission 1/2" 120V solenoid valve to a hurricane/banjo burner.

At first I was thinking that I'd need to replace all the valves, but after a little research it seems like they will work if I go with low-pressure propane.

Get the Low Pressure, High Output regulator 108053P from Tejas Smokers. This output 10.5 " WC which is about where I'm at right now with NG.

Switch my jets to the CVO250 from Tejas. Question is, what sized to have them drilled to? The hurricane/banjo burners are supposedly 210,000 BTU. So I based on this chart I was thinking #25, which would give me ~156,150 BTU at 11" WC.

All thoughts and advice welcome. THANKS!

If you were running NG before, you should already have low pressure orifice's (orify)? I would guess.
I could be wrong, but I didn't think they would run NG at high pressure.

No NG is max 11" WC. If you go with #18 orifice that will get you 200k BTUs at 11” WC with LP

Thinking what I'll do is get a hose & pressure regulator to connect to my propane tank and see how it burns with the current NG jets. Since I'm not sure what size they so I figure that I'll use them as my baseline and determine from there if they need to be drilled out or if I need to go smaller, then order new ones that can be drilled to the right size.

Frome what I've read so far, I'll have a yellow flame if the jets are too small and it's not pulling enough air through. What should I expect if the jets are too big?

No propane has twice as much energy as NG so you need a smaller orifice. If you Don't have the correct orifice you will only get a yellow flame because you can't get enough primary air to mix with the gas

I'm having a similar issue too. I bought what was advertised as a low pressure bayou burner, hooked it up to a low pressure LP regulator and barley got a flame. I drilled out the orifice and now have very high yellow flames. So I figured I screwed up somewhere, orifice too big? So what is the deal with these burners, what size does the orifice need to be?

Sorry to but into this but I would love to know how to fix this issue

I'm having a similar issue too. I bought what was advertised as a low pressure bayou burner, hooked it up to a low pressure LP regulator and barley got a flame. I drilled out the orifice and now have very high yellow flames. So I figured I screwed up somewhere, orifice too big? So what is the deal with these burners, what size does the orifice need to be?

Sorry to but into this but I would love to know how to fix this issue

It sounds like you need more air. Try opening the air baffle all the way and see if that helps. I drilled mine out with an 8/32" bit and they worked great.

de3isit said:
It sounds like you need more air. Try opening the air baffle all the way and see if that helps. I drilled mine out with an 8/32" bit and they worked great.

They are wide open

image-308244241.jpg

This is wide open, no heat shields, orifice drill to 3/32, air shutter wide open as well...Thoughts, good, bad?

You can also try dialing down the pressure on the gas valve slightly. That will change the air fuel mixture.

de3isit said:
You can also try dialing down the pressure on the gas valve slightly. That will change the air fuel mixture.

Yeah I tried that , it doesn't seem to do much.

Back