What the heck is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkingLounge

Reaction score
So I just finished my 2nd time brewing. First time a brown ale that turned out pretty well, 2nd time an IPA Kit.

I thnk I followed the directions pretty well. I was super clean but after a few hours after putting it in the first fermentor I get this strange "growth" inside the brew?

Plus the yeast is not going crazy like it did in the Brown Ale I made before. After about 24 hours I'm finally getting some action on the airlock about one bubble every 4 seconds.

Is this stuff Okay? The smell on top of the airlock smells great and hoppy so I don't this it's bad mold or fungus or whatever it is?

Any thoughts?

photo-75.jpg

That's your yeast starting to do it's job. Mustering it's strength, in no time you will see plenty of activity if you keep staring at that airlock.

BobbiLynn said:
Haha, yeah, different beers react well, different, than others. Lots of variables.

+1

Even when you brew the same recipe over and over, there are always differences. I can split a 10 gallon batch into 2 buckets and they will STILL be different!

Yeah, especially if it's a different yeast strain. Regarding the picture, I've had apfelwein look somewhat like that before, initially, before it started looking "creamy."

Break material clumping/falling out yeast multiplying and distributing... The show is starting, think of it as the symphony tuning their violins. The magic is about to happen. Pretty soon it will be churning away and making the brew closet/room smell like malty/hoppy amazingness.

Sit back with a homebrew and enjoy the show.

it's mesmerizing to watch huh... look at the colorin' on that beer.

I call shenanigans. That isnt a real cold break monster. If you look really close at that last picture you can see the zipper.

Back