Wyeast California Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battles4Seattle

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen.

Quick question, I'm brewing this weekend more beers american honey pale ale and went to my LHBS and bought Wyeast California thinking it was the equivalent to California ale yeast. I've never tried a steam beer and the OG is 1.054-1.059, will this be okay or change the taste too much?

It will frement around 65 degree but I can get it lower if needed.

it will be different. 1056 is clean showcasing hops with not too much yeast flavor..very clean. 2112 is clean as well but in a lager way. there is more complexity that comes from the yeast itself. it'll have many lager characteristics as far as smell, mouthfeel, and flavor. you can also get a bit of esters if you go up around 70. seems strange to get both but it's a hybrid!

i'm sure you already know about yeast origin but if possible, drink a SNPA(1056) and search your palate for the yeast character. then drink an Anchor Steam(2112) and search your palate for the yeast character. although different hops are used i think the yeast difference is very noticeable.

65 is not too high. my last common fermented at 65. however, if you go lower more of the lager will be showcased. your choice

personally, i would go with it. steam beer is one of my favorite beers to kick back with. i have fermented it at 65 with no problems. since it is hybrid beer yeast you can go lager style or ale. i love lager beers but i also love lots of hops. this is why the strain works for me.

just out of curiosity, what is the hop schedule?

Very helpful post and thank you! I love SNPA but have not tried Anchor Steam.

The hope schedule is .5 oz at 60min 2 oz at 30min and 2 oz at 1min.

I'm a hop fan and a lager fan as well. Would you suggest increasing the hops? I have extra cascade.

Either way I'm sure it will taste good just wanted to make sure the yeast wouldn't be a bad choice.

i think cascade will be just fine. without knowing your target OG its hard to know where your ibu/gravity ratio would be. how many ibu's are you shooting for? more hops has never been a crime but can create an imbalance. really depends on how bitter and/or hoppy you like your beer.

the last one i brewed had an ibu/gravity of .66. that would be 35 ibu's with a gravity of 53 (1.053). turned out pretty balanced to my palate.

Recipe that came with the kit has the estimated OG at 1.054-1.059 (Hopville came out higher) and the IBU's ~40.

So fairly close to your last batch. I'll give it a whirl and post the results and I'm going to pick up an Anchor Steam to try tonight.

Thank you again.

Chickened out and pinched American ale yeast. Every thing went well!

Did a full boil and OG read 1.054. Took 3 hours from start to finish!

I have plans for the California lager yeast though! thinking a Baltic porter with soaked Irish whiskey chips.

Back