stout and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnemesis

Reaction score
A friend of mine loves mixing a stout (like Guiness) and a hard cider (like Angry Orchards) half and half in a glass. He wondered if I could brew a stout and a cider and then at bottling fill each bottle half and half. I have no idea if this is possible. Any input or suggestions? Will they carbonate ok in the same bottle?

Most commercial sweet ciders are force carbed. Since there is still a lot of residual sugar in them, if you were to bottle it the yeast would keep on chewing and create bottle bombs unless you heat pasteurized after obtaining your desired CO2 levels.

But yes, in theory you can blend in a bottle.

Boom! Gunslinger's Graff! Done.

It's a little weird, but good. I haven't tapped my keg yet but it tastes good. If anything I think I would cut the apple cider down to two gallons. You can search for it on this forum too, someone here made the recipe. Basically cider and stout wort fermented together.

graff is probably the easiest option. another option is to do a batch of each and then blend in the bucket before bottling (this would give you the ability to bottle some separately or to blend to taste).

The drink you are referring to is called a black velvet. You need a spoon to pour the stout into the pint glass, otherwise it doesn't sit on top of the stout, it just mixes. Brew two blends and mix them in a pint glass by using a spoon. You won't be sorry.

Latest posts

Back