Barbed Shanks or Separate Tail End

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm converting a freezer to a keezer, and it's time to buy perlicks (525ss) and shanks. I see I can get the shanks with barbs or with a threaded end, onto which I guess there is a fitting/gasket.

Is there any goo reason not to get the barbed one? I guess it's not as easy to clean. Anyone with experience here?

Does the non-barb version have a female pipe thread on the back? Because that would be better, imo. You'd have to buy a separate barb fitting, but they are cheap.

My tap has the barb built-in and I dropped it on my garage floor because I'm a klutz, and dented the barb a little. A part of it broke off when I bent it back out. It still works fine, but its a little worse for wear.

I've had the shanks with the tail pieces welded on for about 2 years know with no problems. To me, it just seemed like one less place to have a leak someday. Cleaning isn't really an issue. I just brush out the shank with one brush and then run my dip tube brush that I use on my kegs for the nipple. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

I've had the shanks with the tail pieces welded on for about 2 years know with no problems. To me, it just seemed like one less place to have a leak someday. Cleaning isn't really an issue. I just brush out the shank with one brush and then run my dip tube brush that I use on my kegs for the nipple. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

This was my thinking, too. I think I'll go with the welded barbs. Plus, it comes with the package deal on the faucet/knob/shank that I want. The whole assy is $48. Any thoughts on that? The faucet is Perlick 525ss, the shank is chromed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047SHADG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

31oZwLNmDHL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back