Quick yeast washing question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TapeDeck

Reaction score
I did a pale that used a ton of hops, and then a ton of dry hopping.
It wasn't a high gravity brew, and is somewhere between 5-6% ABV.

Because the alcohol content isn't massive, I was thinking of washing the yeast for next time, but since there's an abnormally high quantity of hop matter, does that present any problem?

In other words, as long as one doesn't make a beer that's at the very limits of what the yeast can manage, and doesn't rest a very high ABV beer on the yeast cake for an extended period, is there any reason (apart from off flavors in that beer) not to salvage yeast from a secondary?

No, you can still do it. With more hop particles and unwanted trub you may have to wash it more than once or twice. As long as you do it correctly and get good separation you should be able to get the yeast off.

Thank you. I just didn't want to put the effort in if there was reason to think this could cause a meaningful hassle. I have no problem harvesting less yeast, as I don't need 4 mason jars of this stuff. This is my first time saving the yeast... I like the idea of subtracting $8 from my ingredients cost next time I want a pale or IPA.

Cheers!

Oh yea, its nice to have the yeast in stock and not buying more each time. I am in the process of setting up multiple yeast slants to hold on to my yeast.

Why is it not recommended to wash yeast that fermented a high gravity beer? They get tired? I was going to snag some wlp510 from a local micro, if I get enough and make a starter will it be ok to use on another high gravity beer?

Yea, they say you shouldn't use a yeast from a high gravity beer on another beer because they can get too stressed and possibly mutate. I have not heard anyone using the wlp510 from one batch on another. I guess it should be ok since they can handle the higher % beers.

Latest posts

Back