So much hops and what to brew!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanantos

Reaction score
I was given a bunch of Saaz and Hallertau hops from a friend :ban:
8 oz. of whole leaf Czech Saaz and 4 oz. of pellet Hallertau to be exact.

I have to weigh this with my approaching beer needs....aren't we all planning out fall beers already????

I am thinking a bit of these could be used in Lcasanova's pumpkin spice recipe and the rest to make a badass Baltic IPA. I don't want to over hop the pumpkin, but I would love to take a decent GF Porter recipe and hop the crap out of it with these wonderful, earthy, spicy hops.

What do you guys think, and does anyone have a good GF recipe for a Porter/Stout?

I wouldn't normally think of saaz and hallertau for dark beers, but there's a huge black lager craze going on in the "regular" craft-beer world these days, so why not capitalize on that? Go for a black pilsener--take someone's tried-and-true GF pilsener recipe, sub out a little bit of the fermentables for some D-180 candi syrup to darken it appropriately, toss in a ton of these hops right at flame-out and then a bunch more as dry hops after a nice long lagering period.

Or you could just do a noble IPA...I was reading that thread on "the 12 hopostles" and the saaz IPA sounded really good!

I really liked the hallertau in my cream ale nice and citrusy... But not too much... The saaz would be an awesome porter hop...

I have some stuff lying around (2#'s of honey, 1/2# of blonde candi syrup and 2.5# or so of Sorghum) since I decided to make a Graff instead of the last brew I purchased ingredients for.

So, I went off and bought two 6# tubs of BRS from highgravitybrew (against the advice of some, I'll probably regret this) and now plan to carmelize my honey and combine this with some of these hops (along with the candi syrup, sorghum and BRS) to make a noble IPA.

I'll also use some of these hops and some BRS to make a pumpkin spice ale.

Well, I recently got an e-mail from High Gravity saying they've changed the packaging for their BRS...I guess our complaints were heard! Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking about ordering more from them but still wary.

So you're doing 2# of caramelized honey, 2.5# of sorghum, and how many # of BRS? Quite an interesting experiment! I haven't tried caramelizing honey yet, super-curious how this brew turns out!

igliashon said:
Well, I recently got an e-mail from High Gravity saying they've changed the packaging for their BRS...I guess our complaints were heard! Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking about ordering more from them but still wary.

So you're doing 2# of caramelized honey, 2.5# of sorghum, and how many # of BRS? Quite an interesting experiment! I haven't tried caramelizing honey yet, super-curious how this brew turns out!

The news from highgravity is good to hear.

I've been pondering how to divide this next batch of fermentables.

Probably a noble IPA with:
.5 lbs blonde candi syrup
2 lbs caramelized honey (Have to decide more color/flavor or higher ABV here?)
2.5 lbs sorghum
2 lbs BRS

Then the pumpkin spice ale with:
4 lbs BRS
1 lb buckwheat honey (if I can find it)

Which leaves me with another 6 lb tub of BRS to play with. Hmmmmmm.
The Hop Bursted Ale sounds pretty good. I may need to try that recipe.

Hop schedules to come.

BTW, part of my inspiration for this was a local micro brew that brewed up two different batches of earthy hopped IPA's. One was a noble IPA and the other was an all fuggle IPA.

Both turned out great and were just different than what you normally get. I love the citrusy IPA's, but it's fun to do something different sometimes.

AND High Gravity has already shipped my BRS. That's impressive at least. We'll see how it arrives. I'll take some pics to show the packaging.

I'm considering going nuts with a kitchen sink Noble IPA.

6lb BRS
2.5lb Sorghum
0.5lb blonde candi syrup
2lb carmelized honey

Hops Amt AA% Use Time Type IBU

Centennial (Usa) 1 oz. 10 Boil 60 min. Pellet 31

Haulertau Germany (Germany)
2 oz. 5.25 Boil 20 min. Pellet 21

Saaz (Czech) 1 oz. 4.5 Boil 20 min. Whole 7

East Kent Goldings (Usa)
1 oz. 5 Boil 7 min. Pellet 3

Saaz (Czech) 1 oz. 4.5 Boil 7 min. Whole 2