Foam when i opened a 7 year old wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
I opened a 7 year old Cabernet Sauvignon called Cover Dive tonight and when I opened it it seemed to "foam". To me, it tastes good. My girlfriend can't detect anything wrong with it, but I've never seen this before. Is it spoiled?

image-1580461717.jpg

image-534169139.jpg

Nope not spoiled just slightly carbonated. That's considered a serious flaw in winemaking.

If you open it with friends ~shrug~ it wasn't your your best batch, oh well it tastes good.

The tasting club will tear you a new one.

Well to be clear this is not made by me. It's a wine called The Cover Dive from South Australia. I had one bottle of this a year ago and thought it was delicious. Now it's seven years old, and it does this when the bottles are open.

It's a 2005 Cabernet from South Australia. Is it spoiling or just residual c02?

it wasn't stabilized properly and fermented in the bottle.
7 years and it didn't pop a cork, so they almost did a good job.

Gotcha. The foam has subsided after about two hours, I assume it's fine to drink, the flavor is fine by me, just wasn't sure if it was spoiling or what was going on.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

Probably underwent some temperature swings over those 7 years. That will cause the pressure within the bottle to fluctuate, causing some air to go into solution. When you pop the cork the pressure equilibrates to atmospheric pressure and the air comes out of solution as a small amount of foam.

But yeah, I'm sure it's fine. :)

Back