need recipe for a vanilla porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf76

Reaction score
I want to make a vanilla porter and am looking for a recipe. Also wondering if I should use vanilla beans in primary secondary or add pieces to bottles?

seanf76 said:
I want to make a vanilla porter and am looking for a recipe. Also wondering if I should use vanilla beans in primary secondary or add pieces to bottles?

I would add vanilla to secondary

I got a Porter extract. Put 2 whole vanilla beans in boiled for 45 min. Last 10 min added 2.5 lbs bag of lactose sugar. Let sit in primary for one week, transferred to secondary added two more vanilla beans, let sit for one week. Then bottled for two weeks. It turned out amazing! I was so impressed with the vanilla flavoring. I am fixing to start another batch of it again because it didn't last long. I thought it was better then Breckenridge VP.

Check Out Denny Conn's Vanilla Porter. The recipe is everywhere and is considered one of the best.

jknapp12105 said:
I got a Porter extract. Put 2 whole vanilla beans in boiled for 45 min. Last 10 min added 2.5 lbs bag of lactose sugar. Let sit in primary for one week, transferred to secondary added two more vanilla beans, let sit for one week. Then bottled for two weeks. It turned out amazing! I was so impressed with the vanilla flavoring. I am fixing to start another batch of it again because it didn't last long. I thought it was better then Breckenridge VP.

What is full recipe grains hops ect

I made a vanilla stout a while back from a kit. Instructions were to split the bean lengthwise, tie with a thread, and let hang in wort for 2 weeks during primary.

Turned out pretty OK, although the vanilla flavor was VERY subtle. If I was going to do it again, I'd get TWO vanilla beans. Maybe 3.

This was a "5 gallon batch", so about 4.5 gallons in the carboy.

Latest posts

Back