Propose Orange Blossom Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizooBrew

Reaction score
Just posted my proposed recipe for a Alfalfa Honey American Rye Ale, and would like to introduce my proposed recipe for an Orange Blossom Honey American Wheat Ale as well. Loosely based on the American Wheat from BCS, but with the addition of some orange blossom honey, orange peel (both bitter and sweet), and coriander.

Orange Blossom Honey Wheat
Anticipated OG- 1.052
Anticipated FG- 1.013
Anticipated attenuation- 77%
IBUs- 20.3
60 min boil
6.5 gal preboil, 5.5 gal batch size
Mash @ 152F for ~60 min

5.75 lb American 2-row
5.75 lb American wheat
1 lb Orange blossom honey (5 min)

0.50 oz Coriander, ground (5 min)
0.25 oz Bitter orange peel, ground (5 min)
0.25 oz Sweet orange peel, ground (5 min)

1.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) @ 60 min- 20.3 IBUs
0.3 oz Centennial (9.0%) @ flameout- 0 IBUs

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

Obviously this isn't going to a true to style American wheat, but I think it would make a very good slightly citrusy wheat beer. I'm kind of moving into Belgian Wit territory, but wanted to keep it with American hops and the milder American wheat yeast character. I may consider altering my amount of coriander addition, as well as my choice to include both bitter and sweet orange peel. May also consider adding the orange blossom honey at flameout instead of 5 minutes, in order to further preserve my varietal honey character.

You may notice that, based upon my recipe, my efficiency is fairly low (~63%), but I would like to keep the discussion here on my recipe formulation, not on my mashing techniques. Thanks for looking, and I'll look forward to your input!

:mug:

Thanks for the response! I'll probably brew a half batch this weekend! Anymore feedback would be welcome.
:rockin:

I've made many orange blossom honey wheats and have been extremely disappointed with the lack of honey flavor and aroma in the finished beer.

I have had the most success adding honey to the secondary after reaching final gravity in the primary. Good luck with this.

I've made many orange blossom honey wheats and have been extremely disappointed with the lack of honey flavor and aroma in the finished beer.

I have had the most success adding honey to the secondary after reaching final gravity in the primary. Good luck with this.

I will consider trying this. Just so all of the orange blossom aroma does not get blown off in the vigorous fermentation?

I almost exclusively bottle all my beer with orange blossom honey...I really like the aroma and taste it adds, not much, subtle but there. Try it sometime. It can really shine in a lighter beer

Back