what would you brew with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I was updating my inventory yesterday and i came across some grains that i dont normally use, and i dont know what i would brew with them.
I have 10# of vienna and 5# of victory also 4# pounds of special"B" and crisp brown malt. I mostly brew IPA's and APA's and none of recipes i have use any of these in a significant portion of the grist. I have used some vienna in an APA and it really added something to the flavor that i enjoyed.
I guess what im asking is, does anyone have a recipe or idea to use these grain in. Im not even sure how old they are. They are not crushed and i know they are less than a year old.

10# Vienna
2# Victory

Hop to about 60 IBU's with a clean Bittering hop then:

1 OZ Simcoe @ 15
1OZ Columbus @ 10
1 OZ Simcoe @ 5

Ferment with 1056/001 at 66F

Dry hop 5 days With
2 OZ Simcoe

I have this bottles right now and it's banging!

Thanks for the ideas. I had thought about a dunkle but use kolsh yeast and ferment as cool as possible. Since i have no way to do a real lager i thought that would get me the closest.
I like the victory and vienna but that would wipe out my simcoe stash...lol kinda hoarding it.
But may have to give it a shot anyway.
There is a local brewery that uses a large amount of vienna in a beer and hopped with fuggle and tettnanger. May throw some pilsner or MO as the base and see what happens.

You can use the Vienna as a base grain in a lot of recipes. The Victory and maybe the Brown would work in APA/IPA in place of some or all of the crystal you would normally use, or you could add them and take nothing out for an amber. They'd both work well in browns, porters, stouts and anything English.

Special B is powerful stuff. I don't know how you would go through 4 pounds. You can add small amounts to put a twist on a lot of styles, but I wouldn't want the same twist in all my beers.

I have been looking at recipes all day trying to find something for the special B and brown. I have no idea why i bought so much of them. I have made an english mild and Belgian wit but neither of them use these malts. I guess I'll have to expand my brewing line up.

Billybrewer09 said:
I have been looking at recipes all day trying to find something for the special B and brown. I have no idea why i bought so much of them. I have made an english mild and Belgian wit but neither of them use these malts. I guess I'll have to expand my brewing line up.

Both are great in a porter! Use up to about 8 oz Special B to give a strong toffee/raisin/prune flavor. I also tend to use a lot of Special B in a Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

I know the special B and brown are used in porters and to some extent in stouts but I'm not a big fan of those styles. So I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate them into lighter styles.

Special B in small amounts adds a grey color and malty goodness to an IPA. Lakefront's Fixed Gear red ale uses some Special B and it's phenomenal. I have cloned it a few times and loved it.

Sendkyleanemail, when you say small amounts. How small are you talking. I make 5gal batches, so would 8oz be good. I wouldn't want to over do it and have the beer come out cloying.

I would consider my Special B usage to be high considering I don't brew a lot of dubbels or Belgian Strong Darks, and I can't fathom using up 4# in a timely manner. You might just have to toss 2oz in IPAs and 4oz in ambers and just chip away at it until its used up.

I could, however, use up 4# of brown malt in two porters or brown ales easily. I routinely use Vienna as a base malt, so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Since you like IPA's, you should throw all them malts in a mash and then boil it with a buncha hops, and based on whatever color it comes out, call it a <insert final color here> IPA :tank:

Back