yeast pitch temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbblaine

Reaction score
Exactly how much does it matter what temperature the wort is when I pitch the yeast?

For my last few batches, I have used US-05 yeast. They turn out drinkable in my opinion, but have sort of an odd taste that I don't know how to describe.

I have been pitching once the wort is down to about 80F I think. So I'm wondering, is that too warm and maybe causing the yeast to produce off flavors for a period of time before the wort finishes cooling to within the yeast's tolerable range?

Dont pitch until you are at or below your desired fermentation temp. Your pitched yeast (rehydrated slurry or starter) should be within 5-10 degrees of your cooled wort.

For a dry yeast I don't think it is. For liquid in a starter I shoot for 66-68F. YMMV.

Exactly how much does it matter what temperature the wort is when I pitch the yeast?

For my last few batches, I have used US-05 yeast. They turn out drinkable in my opinion, but have sort of an odd taste that I don't know how to describe.

I have been pitching once the wort is down to about 80F I think. So I'm wondering, is that too warm and maybe causing the yeast to produce off flavors for a period of time before the wort finishes cooling to within the yeast's tolerable range?

I read very good reviews about US_05, I used US-05 for the first time recently and got some serious off flavors too. I think I made two mistakes. One, I fermented at ambient temps (about 80F here). I've gotten away with this with other yeasts, but maybe US-05 is a bit more picky. Also, I made a starter -- not recommend by Fermentis.

See the Fermentis spec page for temp ranges etc for this yeast. http://www.fermentis.com/fo/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp.

I read very good reviews about US_05, I used US-05 for the first time recently and got some serious off flavors too. I think I made two mistakes. One, I fermented at ambient temps (about 80F here). I've gotten away with this with other yeasts, but maybe US-05 is a bit more picky. Also, I made a starter -- not recommend by Fermentis.

See the Fermentis spec page for temp ranges etc for this yeast. http://www.fermentis.com/fo/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp.

80F is definitely way too warm. You want the beer temperature during fermentation to be about 65-68.

Alright, I'm going to be making an Expressway Mild described in Zymurgy tomorrow. Recipe:

6lb Maris Otter
0.5lb Oat Malt
0.25lb Crystal 55
0.25lb Carafa II

0.25oz Target (11.5%AA) 60min
0.12oz Progress (8.1%AA) 20min

Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II

Wyeast's website recommends between 60-70F fermentation, so I will wait until the wort is below 70F before I ferment, and try to keep it at about 65 or 66.

With this recipe and force carbonation, I should have this beer drinkable in a week so I will post the results.

In the mean time, do you think it would help if I took my last couple beers to a BJCP guy at the LHBS to see what he thinks? Would he be able to tell what causes this off flavor?

The article in Zymurgy said that it was done in 6 days and force carbonated because he was trying to meet a deadline for some party. I figure if I give it an extra day or two to ferment, it will be at least drinkable. And at the very least, I will see if the same off flavor is present that I taste in my past few batches.

Regardless of the type of yeast...pitch at or below fermentation temp.

Just using the yeast manf. guidelines. Says yeast should be pitched above 68F (no mention of high limitations as long as below 86) if on the wort and around 80F (+-6) to re-hydrate. If tossed in at 80 and left to re-hydrate for an hour the wort would be at or below 75F before (as some here say) you shake the hell out of it to aerate/mix it and let fermentation begin. This yeast is listed at 59-75 for fermentation temps.

Just using the yeast manf. guidelines. Says yeast should be pitched above 68F (no mention of high limitations as long as below 86) if on the wort and around 80F (+-6) to re-hydrate. If tossed in at 80 and left to re-hydrate for an hour the wort would be at or below 75F before (as some here say) you shake the hell out of it to aerate/mix it and let fermentation begin. This yeast is listed at 59-75 for fermentation temps.

I agree with the rehydrating at 80 part. However, while you can ferment at 75 with US-05, I wouldn't do it. You'll get a fruity beer.

I'd suggest always rehydrating your yeast packet in roughly 10x it's weight in water (~90-100deg F) for 30 minutes. If you're planning on performing your rehydration step in the wort itself, plan on losing ~50% of your yeast cells. At any rate, I would always recommend pitching AFTER you cool your wort to your planned fermentation temperature. As others have suggested, using US-05, I wouldn't ferment any higher than 68-70deg. F.

i pitch cold and keep it cool for around 24h or so (for reproduction stage) then i increase to desire fermentation temp (so most of the time is 60-64 for 24h then 68-72 for fermentation)

Dont pitch until you are at or below your desired fermentation temp. Your pitched yeast (rehydrated slurry or starter) should be within 5-10 degrees of your cooled wort.

Agree with the first part, but not the second. I always take the yeast directly out of the fridge and into the wort, while the yeast starter is still cold. That way the yeast don't start using up their nutrient reserves before they get into the beer.

i pitch cold and keep it cool for around 24h or so (for reproduction stage) then i increase to desire fermentation temp (so most of the time is 60-64 for 24h then 68-72 for fermentation)

Just a nit...there is no separate "reproduction stage". The Crabtree Effect says that in the presence of a >.05% glucose solution, fermentation begins immediately.

Wyeast's website recommends between 60-70F fermentation, so I will wait until the wort is below 70F before I ferment, and try to keep it at about 65 or 66.

FWIW, I find both Wyeast and white publish recommended temp ranges that are based a bit more on making the yeast work well than producing the best beer. I keep my fermentation temps at or slightly below the low end of the range.

FWIW, I find both Wyeast and white publish recommended temp ranges that are based a bit more on making the yeast work well than producing the best beer. I keep my fermentation temps at or slightly below the low end of the range.

I'd imagine it's similar to a LHBS that provides a coarse crush, so customers don't complain about a stuck sparge.

Agree with the first part, but not the second. I always take the yeast directly out of the fridge and into the wort, while the yeast starter is still cold. That way the yeast don't start using up their nutrient reserves before they get into the beer.

Your yeast isn't going to consume any considerable amount of glycogen and trehalose reserves in the short time it takes you to bring a ~2L starter from chilled to wort (pitching) temp. I personally don't chill/decant starters unless they are >2L anyways, so i'm generally in the ballpark at room temp(with an ale).

Alright I brewed a 5 gallon Mild beer. I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale because the LHBS didn't have 1882.

The range for 1028 is 60-72F, so I cooled to just below 70 before pitching the yeast. I set it in a room with a constant temp of 65.

The only new things I have done differently for this brew are:
Use Wyeast 1028 instead of US-05
Cool wort to below 70 before pitching

Hopefully this beer will turn out great. I will update again later to let you all know.

The room temperature actually stayed around 63-64F so the beer was definitely below 70 during fermentation. The sample tastes good for being warm, uncarbonated, and only 7 days old.

I let it ferment for 7 days total, then put it in the fridge at 34F to cold crash and let it clarify a little before I rack to the keg later today.

I was thinking of dry hopping with 1oz Willamette as well, but not sure as this is a Mild beer. Good idea? Bad? Anybody done that before?

(I have a total of 1.75oz Willamette but not sure how much to use so I am thinking 1oz is good to start) Link to my recipe used

Back