Easy False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
Don't know if this has ever been posted in here but this is what I did for my first false bottom and it looks awesome and its very cheap to build probably 25 bucks. I wasn't able to find the brass tank connector at lowes or home depot so I just used a stainless hose clamp to hold it on there. Here is the link on how to do it. I cannot take credit, I just found this.

http://www.brewing-tips.com/false_bottom/

Every time I check out the DIY section, I find a new way of doing the same ol thing. Very good idea.

sarsnik said:
How well did it work? Is it large enough to mitigate against stuck sparges?

I'll won't know for about two weeks. I do know it is a very tight seal on the bottom. I see no reason why I would get a stuck spare though.

My main reason for this is the fact it is such a cheapo high quality false bottom that is reinforced with the stainless screws. Very solid.

That's hilarious. I literally just saw this thing yesterday while browsing the kitchen aisle at Target, and thought it would make an awesome budget false bottom. Low and behold there's a thread on it the next day!

:rockin:

Can you update this thread with how it worked out on your first batch, and if you saw an increase/decrease in efficiency at all?

Subscribed!

I did this last summer and had an issue with grain getting by around the edge. It didn't work bad, just allowed more grain through then I wanted.

rekoob said:
I did this last summer and had an issue with grain getting by around the edge. It didn't work bad, just allowed more grain through then I wanted.

I actually cut mine around the edge so it would fit in properly without cutting keggle. I cut it around the edge so it's curved downward against the keg. This forms a better seal than a flat piece of stainless would but I guess I won't know until I brew with it. I'll report back.

Just put it in. Fits firmly against bottom.

ForumRunner_20120316_220813.jpg

The first link on this thread is broken so I haven't seen where he got the screen from. Can someone update it or tell me where to look?

Thanks!

LarryC said:
The first link on this thread is broken so I haven't seen where he got the screen from. Can someone update it or tell me where to look?

Thanks!

+1 it won't link, very interested it looks great.

Back