How to make labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I am just starting to put my beer into 12 oz bottles and wanted to know if I can just use label paper, and maybe fit 5-6 labels on a sheet to print it out. Then cut it out and adhere to bottles. Thanks for any advice.

Print on regular paper, cut out (using your wife's Creative Memories crap), afix with glue stick.

Pros..no limits on paper color, size, design, low cost, peals right off, etc.
Cons...regular paper and ink jet bleeds like a stuck pig when wet or with lots o condensate.

I draft up a label for every batch but hardly label...just those I bring out of the house, or to identify a keg, or to identify what's on tap in the garage fridge (glue stick it to the door).

My $0.02. :p

with the avery label, do I need a program to do this or just enter the label # and it will do the rest?? I am pretty good with the computer but never used them when printing. Can I use photoshop 8 with this?

I just got this new program and it look really cool. Called Logo Design Studio. Was pretty cheap at office max and it's kinda nifty:)

JOHN51277 said:
with the avery label, do I need a program to do this or just enter the label # and it will do the rest?? I am pretty good with the computer but never used them when printing. Can I use photoshop 8 with this?
If you have MS Publisher, it has most of the Avery labels listed. It gives you an on-screen template you can design on, then prints out the sheet of labels. Works great.

MS Word also has the built-in ability to use Avery labels. You pick your label from the Tools/Letters and Mailings/Envelopes and Labels menu, then select the Labels tab. If you click on the picture of the label in the right-hand corner, it allows you to pick which Avery label you want to use.

woodstone said:
Print on regular paper, cut out (using your wife's Creative Memories crap), afix with glue stick.

Pros..no limits on paper color, size, design, low cost, peals right off, etc.
Cons...regular paper and ink jet bleeds like a stuck pig when wet or with lots o condensate.

That's exactly what I do too. But, after printing, I spray the sheets with a clear fixative to "waterproof" them. Right now I'm using a Krylon clear spray. Just a light misting, & the labels don't run. Cheap hairspray (Aquanet) would probably work just as well.

Been thinking about this whole label thing... ok.. so labels run that much sounds pretty clear...

I have a little side business and advertise using computer printable postcards. You get them at the office supply store right besidess the labels. Thing is... these postcards don't run (I mean, can you image sending a postcard in the mail and hoping it dont get wet...). Completly color, you can drop them in a sink of water (not sure how long, but I had gotten them very wet).

Not sure if it woudl be too stiff though, but I'm looking at the one sitting on
my desk and it don't look as if it would be too much more think then a label.

Has anyone tried one of these on a bottle?

Michael_Schaap said:
Been thinking about this whole label thing... ok.. so labels run that much sounds pretty clear...

I have a little side business and advertise using computer printable postcards. You get them at the office supply store right besidess the labels. Thing is... these postcards don't run (I mean, can you image sending a postcard in the mail and hoping it dont get wet...). Completly color, you can drop them in a sink of water (not sure how long, but I had gotten them very wet).

Not sure if it woudl be too stiff though, but I'm looking at the one sitting on
my desk and it don't look as if it would be too much more think then a label.

Has anyone tried one of these on a bottle?

It's not the label paper or the plain paper that cause the ink to run, it's the ink itself. I use a HP inkjet with waterbase ink. My old Epson inkjet's ink was not waterbase. Anything printed by that printer did not run, but alas, it died.
So, with HP's inks, I need to spray my sheets with a fixative. Easy & quick.

I don't know about you, but for me making labels is the most painful part of homebrewing. I want the labels to look as good and professional as they can be but I found all the "domestic" methods unsatisfactory.

If I just print them on a regular A4 sheet and cut them out then its a hell lot of work (I lose my mind after 10 labels. can't imagine cutting out 50 of them). So I guess buying Avery labels is the way to go.

On the waterproofing side, nothing really worked for me by now. I've printed my label on a canon ink-jet and tried to seal them with hair spray and even lacquer spray. Both didn't work as the ink started to run off with the first signs of water.

How do they make the commercial labels ? How much can it cost to order a roll or two of stickers ? I'm considering going to some pro print shop and order there.

ni4ni said:
I don't know about you, but for me making labels is the most painful part of homebrewing. I want the labels to look as good and professional as they can be but I found all the "domestic" methods unsatisfactory.

If I just print them on a regular A4 sheet and cut them out then its a hell lot of work (I lose my mind after 10 labels. can't imagine cutting out 50 of them). So I guess buying Avery labels is the way to go.

On the waterproofing side, nothing really worked for me by now. I've printed my label on a canon ink-jet and tried to seal them with hair spray and even lacquer spray. Both didn't work as the ink started to run off with the first signs of water.

How do they make the commercial labels ? How much can it cost to order a roll or two of stickers ? I'm considering going to some pro print shop and order there.
This is why I use a color laser printer to do bottle labels: no ink to run.

I don't know precisely how commercial labels are run, but I'd bet it has something to do with dyes and offset printing, which isn't real feasible to do at home.

Back