Hops - freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Influence

Reaction score
OK, so I work two days a week for my LHBS shop and, I was told something shocking. All the hop plugs are going bye bye.

These have been frozen for some time, but appear to be in good shape. My rule in the past has always been, if it's green - it's in. If it's brown, no way!

So, is that a good rule of thumb to follow? I have been teaching a few friends to grow beer for the past few years and we can do a TON of brews (can you say mega IPA!!!).

We immediately put them in another freezer, they are also vacuum sealed (most in foil packs, so no light either).

Between that and two-row for thirty five bucks, I think I have to start boiling!!! :ban::ban::ban:

Jonathan

I put the hop packets in 1 gallon freezer bags,then into the freezer itself. If they're still green,they get used. They are keeping real well so far,so no worries,imo. Sounds like you got a deal!:ban:

Almost two grand of a deal. Glad to hear someone else using my "method"......

Can't see wasting perfectly tasty and great smelling hop plugs!!!

I also use the gallon bags (easy to label).

SWEET!

Jonathan

I bought a whole box of the gallon size zip lock bags in a cheaper brand for all sorts of brew storage. I keep all my small bags of caps in one,nearly full. Hops in another one in freezer. Hop & grain sacks as well,just burp as much air out as I can before sealing. All my extra taps,airlocks,etc as well. Also including my Brewing sugars,DME's,PBW bags,etc. Many uses in the ol' brewery for 1G zip locks!:rockin:

Back