Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Thewobblythong (you username cracks my a$$ up!) Give 'er all you got, you only live once. If your thinking 3 kegs....you just might as well go for 4 kegs with 4 taps and save you self some time upgrading down the line. No Mercy! :mug:

cheers bloke. funnily enough I just ordered 4 kegs this morning, so they are on their way. I must have sensed your suggestion...

funds are tight on this project, so i will be doing it in baby steps. space is also tight (we live in an apartment) so I have to keep it small to maintain SWMBO approval for this project...

first is just to get a single tap, regulator and one of those C02 bulb systems for dispensing - I can carbonate the keg at a mates place and use my esky to chill - then go on the hunt for a mini-fridge so I can start building a kegerator proper.

I will probably stick to three taps if i can find a mini fridge that will get three kegs in, otherwise I will go with two. We plan to move in the next 12 months due to child, so once I have the space, I will build a separate 4 tap system for the brewing shed.

Cheers

Wobbles.

Beer Altar. My house is a renovated church, and this was the altar. Underneath is a BeverageAire bar fridge I got off Craigslist for $300, but it had the tower, faucets, etc included. It holds 2 1/2 barrels and a sixtel, so I always have 3 on tap.

n1342419473_30135259_771.jpg

This very thread is what inspired me to get this beast going- thanks to all you creative beer folks!

Beer Altar. My house is a renovated church, and this was the altar. Underneath is a BeverageAire bar fridge I got off Craigslist for $300, but it had the tower, faucets, etc included. It holds 2 1/2 barrels and a sixtel, so I always have 3 on tap.

n1342419473_30135259_771.jpg

This very thread is what inspired me to get this beast going- thanks to all you creative beer folks!

That thing is awesome. Did you have to do any work to the altar to fit it in there? work pics?

and out of sheer curiosity what does the rest of your house look like?

That thing is awesome. Did you have to do any work to the altar to fit it in there? work pics?

and out of sheer curiosity what does the rest of your house look like?

Thanks! I had to disasemble it so that the front would come off (to get at the fridge)- there are some threaded rods that have wingnuts holding the front on.
Then it was just a matter of cutting the holes for the drain and tower in the right spots and lining it all up.

Here a view from the Master bedroom 'loft'
n1342419473_30136267_7528.jpg

IMG00507-20110907-1905.jpg

IMG00508-20110907-1906.jpg

I am new to the site and am in awe of some of the kegerators and keezers shown here. Thought I would throw mine in. It is an old fridge so when it dies, I plan on making something a little more exciting. For now, pulling beer out an old whiskey barrel is fun. Fridge will hold 3 cornies...can't seem to brew fast enough (or drink slow enough) to fill all three at the same time. But that doesn't stop me from having fun trying.

Thanks! I had to disasemble it so that the front would come off (to get at the fridge)- there are some threaded rods that have wingnuts holding the front on.
Then it was just a matter of cutting the holes for the drain and tower in the right spots and lining it all up.

Here a view from the Master bedroom 'loft'
n1342419473_30136267_7528.jpg

Do you happen to live in Massachusetts?

My kegerator dual tap craigslist find for $150 sanded and painted it black. It's now a sexy black and chrome admiral fridge/kegerator.

267698_1848605856312_1275666645_1644498_2152437_n.jpg

Pics are from the day I finished the keezer back in February. Since then I have added two more Perlicks and bought a stainless drip tray. Seeing as my woodworking skills are certainly nothing to brag about, I think it came out pretty well. The switch controls leds under the taps and the unit is controlled by a johnson controller.

6128604999_6c6a6a96a6.jpg

6129154190_939b7d5f04.jpg

I think I am most satisfied about the tile work. As a side note, the picture kind of distorts the stain colors, but you get the idea...

Followed some of the others on this thread. Built the whole thing over a couple weekends. The white freezer next to it is my fermentation chamber. Take that GA heat!!

Built it on a rolling cart base and had to remove some insulation from the sides since I attached the 1x10 collar to the lid. Run with a Johnson temp controller at 40F.
2 perlick 575ss taps with one more on the way.
Thanks kegconnection.

image-1889618511.jpg

image-2630505272.jpg

Pics are from the day I finished the keezer back in February. Since then I have added two more Perlicks and bought a stainless drip tray. Seeing as my woodworking skills are certainly nothing to brag about, I think it came out pretty well. The switch controls leds under the taps and the unit is controlled by a johnson controller.

6128604999_6c6a6a96a6.jpg

6129154190_939b7d5f04.jpg

I think I am most satisfied about the tile work. As a side note, the picture kind of distorts the stain colors, but you get the idea...

Really like your set-up!

After reading through what at the time was 250 pages of Kegerators (now 300) I decided that bottling was no longer an option. I gathered alot of inspiration from all of the posters from this site and I hope you all enjoy my Kegerator. Here are some before and after photos.

It's been a long time coming, and I'm excited to finally post this!

All of the woodworking skill can be attributed to a buddy of mine, and of course, thank you Jester for the inspiration for this shameless rip off :)

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

IPA...it's a bit cloudy because I moved the keg today, but full of delicious simcoe, amarillo and citra :ban:

It took just under a year to plan an execute this build, but that's mostly because I have too many hobbies, a 9-5, etc.. Once work began, it only took a few weeks of actual work.

We started with the unsuspecting Sunbeam chest freezer I received for my B-day last year, which the Missus insisted I get the largest Menards had. Ah yes, that's why I married her...
IMG_5059.JPG

Tools of the trade. Don't know why you can't see the labels on anything, that wasn't planned. But the caulk-tube looking thing is some Loctite construction adhesive, for the collar-to-lid junction. The aresol can is 3M (I think) medium strength upholstery adhesive for the copper-to-wood work. Copper roll in the upper left. Various screws, and angle brackets...
IMG_5058.JPG

The woodwork begins. To start off with, I glued a piece of aspen to a piece of Oak. Aspen for good looks on the outside, and the Oak for strength. Glued and clamped for a few days.
IMG_5057.JPG

What I don't have pictures of, is the actual cutting and fitting of the 4 pieces of the collar, which was the hardest part. I'm no carpenter, so my 90 degree angles weren't, and gaps were present. But a coworker, who's a world-class woodworker who knows I'm a car-guy, said use Bondo to fill in the gaps. That worked a treat! Just smooshed Bondo into the gaps, let it set, and sanded to the final shape. Worked great, because I needed to round the outer corners anyway, so the copper wouldn't get pierced by it when applying or just through use.

In the planning stage, a friend suggested copper would look cool, and you know what, he was right. So I wrapped the collar in thin layer of real copper. Used the aforementioned upholstery adhesive to do the job.

The really tricky part of the whole build was getting the hinge to collar to work right. My solution, was to take a bunch of flat stock, cut it into rectangles about the size of the hinge plate, and drill holes through them. This did 2 things: Gave me spacers to make up the distance from the hinge to the collar, and gave me a backing plate that is effectively a large, funny shaped washer.

Here's the spacers:
IMG_5348.JPG

And here's the funny-shaped washer:
IMG_5350.JPG

Those spacers aren't my best work, but they do the job, and nobody looks at them anyway.

And here we are gluing the collar to the lid. Green tape covers the 2 holes for the taps:
IMG_5353.JPG

Here's it with lid closed:
IMG_5345.JPG

And the money-shot: The final product.
IMG_5356.JPG

So far 1 Corny Keg of The Windsor Knot has passed through the tap, and I have to say, it's a success! The copper is taking on a nice patina, and I don't think there are any air leaks so the compressor isn't running any more than before the conversion.

With summer coming to an end, I'm hoping I can get back to brewing so I can have BOTH taps providing beer!

I put the taps on the side of the fridge because of the way my basement is laid out. The front of the fridge is a high-traffic pass-through. I didn't want to be bumping the taps every time I walked by. And it's more convenient, as the taps face the stairs landing. So once you step off the stairs, you're 2 steps away from a pint. The only downside to this tap arrangement is that when you're showing it off to your friends, and opening the lid after pouring, a few drops of beer will come out and miss the drip-tray. And the Brains towel always slides off!

Well this is nothing special, but it's a start. I want/need to upgrade to a little larger freezer to fit 4 kegs, but this will do for now. I plan to modify down the road and add towers or front taps. Especially because the freezer cost me nothing. It was given to me by a friend. It doesn't freeze but will get down to the low 30's. Sounded perfect to me!!! Now I can use my fridge to ferment lagers.

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0979.jpg

Ozzy, that is pretty ballsy to run the CO2 line through the side of your keezer, what / how did you figure out where to drill?

-=Jason=-

Ozzy, that is pretty ballsy to run the CO2 line through the side of your keezer, what / how did you figure out where to drill?

-=Jason=-

I will agree and say it took some balls and maybe a little stupidity to drill that hole. I ASSUMED the all the cooling was done elsewhere in the freezer. There was frost on the front of the freezer and I figured it was there. I decided to just go for it and hope I was right or that I would miss something. I was or I did! :ban: I think the price played a role in my decision as well! :mug:

I used a 1/2" bit for the gas line which is 9/16". I cut the tip of the hose at an angle to get it in the hole and then rotated it back and forth while pushing to get it through. I had to use pliers on the other side to pull the hose through. It's safe to say it is not leaking around that hose.

I thought about putting the CO2 tank in the freezer, but that would limit my capacity. Plus, I want to know exactly how much CO2 I have and the cold wont allow that. I also thought about waiting in case I modify it and run the hose through the board spacer, but am not sure if I will do that with this freezer. I may get towers or upsize next spring.

I will agree and say it took some balls and maybe a little stupidity to drill that hole. I ASSUMED the all the cooling was done elsewhere in the freezer. There was frost on the front of the freezer and I figured it was there. I decided to just go for it and hope I was right or that I would miss something. I was or I did! :ban: I think the price played a role in my decision as well! :mug:

I used a 1/2" bit for the gas line which is 9/16". I cut the tip of the hose at an angle to get it in the hole and then rotated it back and forth while pushing to get it through. I had to use pliers on the other side to pull the hose through. It's safe to say it is not leaking around that hose.

I thought about putting the CO2 tank in the freezer, but that would limit my capacity. Plus, I want to know exactly how much CO2 I have and the cold wont allow that. I also thought about waiting in case I modify it and run the hose through the board spacer, but am not sure if I will do that with this freezer. I may get towers or upsize next spring.

I have my 20# tank inside my keezer currently but want to move it outside. going through the back or sides would be easiest of coarse, but my balls aren't as big as yours. I guess I could use a hole saw and just barely cut into the keezer and once I get through the outer skin use a screw driver to make sure I don't hit any coolant lines. I was thinking that the back at the very top near where the lid seals would be a good spot as well.

-=Jason=-

JRems said:
Really. Who would use expensive army/navy fittings for a drain line!

It does look awesome though

He could have went with tri-clamps. Indeed it does look awesome. I wish I had a stainless steel fridge to turn into a kegerator...

annasdadhockey,

can you show me how you have that little two gallon set up?? the CO2 valve. i have one of those but don't know how to set it up.

PIC_1557.jpg

Hey guys....I posted some pictures of my keezer on here a while back, but I have made some final changes and it is now 100% complete. Here are my final pictures of my keezer. I added a 4th Perlick 525ss faucet and build 4 custom cedar branch tap handles. I also re-insulated the entire coffin, so it is now at optimal efficiency. I'm putting this project to rest and moving onto several other brewing related projects, including a basement brewing room, an all electric brewing system, 2 fermentation chambers (one for ales & one for lagers) and whatever else comes up that will make my brewing adventures more efficient and more consistent. Thanks for all of the feedback along the way! :mug:

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

Hoppopotomus said:
Hey guys....I posted some pictures of my keezer on here a while back, but I have made some final changes and it is now 100% complete. Here are my final pictures of my keezer. I added a 4th Perlick 525ss faucet and build 4 custom cedar branch tap handles. I also re-insulated the entire coffin, so it is now at optimal efficiency. I'm putting this project to rest and moving onto several other brewing related projects, including a basement brewing room, an all electric brewing system, 2 fermentation chambers (one for ales & one for lagers) and whatever else comes up that will make my brewing adventures more efficient and more consistent. Thanks for all of the feedback along the way! :mug:

That is a nice keezer good work! My next project is to build a fermentation chamber. Right now I'm using my old kegerator for lagers and I don't have a chamber for my ales. Can't wait to see some of your other builds!

Well, somebody has to go after Hoppo, so it may as well be me ... I finished this a few weeks ago and have it dialed in pretty well right now.

Started with a new freezer, and took hints from several others here and tossed the lid and built a whole new top for it (instead of just a collar). Built an eBay temp controller for it, which is mounted on the back.

I'm planning to chuck up a couple pieces of exotic wood in the lathe for handles, probably this winter after golf season. :)

All you folks on this forum are the reason I have this instead of an off-the-rack kegerator, and I thank you all very much!

And the best part: SWMBO is very pleased, so I get to keep it!

110918 Kegerator a.jpg

110918 Kegerator b.jpg

Nice job... I like the tile work and couldnt overlook the base.. i like it.:mug:

Question though... how did you attach the drip tray... ?

I finished my 6 tap kegerator about a month back but just now getting around to posting pictures. I was able to keep the door shelving and two of the main shelves for extra bottle storage. The hardware is all stainless and I'm using the Perlick 525SS faucets. It has a 2 way and 4 way manifold so I can carb at different levels if I want. The freezer at the bottom is being used for bulk hops and overflow from our other freezer. Just have to fill the pipeline now...

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

photo-4.JPG

photo-3.JPG

photo-2.JPG

photo-1.JPG

Back